cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been in the garden for almost 2 years. Ready to do another app round. Need advice.

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Been in the garden for almost 2 years. Ready to do another app round. Need advice.

@Jerry45 wrote:

You have a excellent portfolio of top tier cards with high limits. Go for what you really want, and disregard the mailers.

I wouldn't disregard the mailers unless you really don't care about the APR%. You shouldn't care about the APR since you should always PIF but I would love a low APR card for the possibility of ever carrying a balance in an emergency. My goals for my card to obtain is the Ring Card with it's 8% APR.   Also Mailers I view as a guage on what cards I can and can't get approved to.  If your getting pre-approved for Credit one and first premier cards I doubt you have a high chance of getting approved for cards like the CSP + good CL or etc 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 11 of 21
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

Re: Been in the garden for almost 2 years. Ready to do another app round. Need advice.

So I did my reasearch and left bailed out of the garden like it was on fire.... which it was. 

Citi Simplicity- Instant approval for $3200. May recon that for a CLI. That's pretty low for me.

Sappire Prefered- Instant approval for $6300.

I also apped for Penfed membership while I was burning INQ's just in case I met their mysterious and conservative requirements.

All in all a good app round! I considered apping for another card but couldn't find anything I needed. Should I app for something else just to open an new TL while I'm killing my numbers? I couldn't hit another spending limit for points I'm pretty sure.

Message 12 of 21
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Exonumist wrote:

CSP for sure. Other then that there's the Sallie Mae WMC, Fidelity Amex, US Bank Cash+, Sams Club Master Card, etc. It really just depends on what you want out of the card.

+1

would have suggested the same..lol... and congrats on your gardening goal !

Message 13 of 21
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

Looks like I got accepted to PenFed too!

I'm interested in a refi on my car loan soon and I've got a couple years of on time payments. Should I app for a CC with them first or does it matter? I'll probably post this in the auto loan forum.

Message 14 of 21
Tony275
Valued Contributor

Seems to be a successful gardening adventure!! Good luck on your spree!

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 15 of 21
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@Funk-O-Meter wrote:

Looks like I got accepted to PenFed too!

I'm interested in a refi on my car loan soon and I've got a couple years of on time payments. Should I app for a CC with them first or does it matter? I'll probably post this in the auto loan forum.

Not too sure if there is a game plan with PenFed. I've had an account open with them for a few years now and kept exactly $1 in it. I applied for two credit cards last year and was denied. I applied for a refinance of an auto loan this year upwards of $45K and was approved at the lowest stated interest rate for my term and vehicle year. Never know what PenFend will and will not approve unless you go for it. But they do require documentation sometimes and take their sweet time when others would be a lot quicker IMO.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 21
LeonSandcastle
Established Member

Seems like Penfed is a little strange with approvals.

I have a Chapter 13 filed in 2009 and dischaged in Dec 2012.  Scores are low 700s, and I can't get an AMEX, CITI, BofA or UsBank card.  However, Penfed approved me for a $7500 Signature Visa with almost no questions and without requiring me to send any docs, and then turned me down for a car refi.

Only things I really had going for me are good income and low utilization (~6%)

Message 17 of 21
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

So I apped for a penfed Platinum Rewards Visa and was denied handidly and it didn't even mention the pyramiding debt. They didn't like my AAOA (just under 2 yrs) or that I had two cards with high util even though only 2 of my cards have balances at all and my over all util is less than 30%. So yea... as ive heard they are quite picky. I decided to skip apping for a auto refi as I'm only at 5% now and their current used auto refi is 2.7% and that would only save me less than $500 or like $14/mo. So I'll have to wait a year or so before I app for any more of their products. I kinda feel like I wasted a HP but perhaps not. Down the road maybe I can get a future auto loan or one of their attractive cards with low interest and high limits. What should I do to build a relationship with them?

Message 18 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Jerry45 wrote:

You have a excellent portfolio of top tier cards with high limits. Go for what you really want, and disregard the mailers.

I wouldn't disregard the mailers unless you really don't care about the APR%. You shouldn't care about the APR since you should always PIF but I would love a low APR card for the possibility of ever carrying a balance in an emergency. My goals for my card to obtain is the Ring Card with it's 8% APR.   Also Mailers I view as a guage on what cards I can and can't get approved to.  If your getting pre-approved for Credit one and first premier cards I doubt you have a high chance of getting approved for cards like the CSP + good CL or etc 

This isn't correct. I get pre-approvals from credit one and first premier and I got isntant approval for large credit line with CSP. If you weren't getting pre-approved for credit one and first premier then yes that statement would make more sense. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 19 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@Funk-O-Meter wrote:

So I did my reasearch and left bailed out of the garden like it was on fire.... which it was. 

Citi Simplicity- Instant approval for $3200. May recon that for a CLI. That's pretty low for me.

Sappire Prefered- Instant approval for $6300.

I also apped for Penfed membership while I was burning INQ's just in case I met their mysterious and conservative requirements.

All in all a good app round! I considered apping for another card but couldn't find anything I needed. Should I app for something else just to open an new TL while I'm killing my numbers? I couldn't hit another spending limit for points I'm pretty sure.

Nope. If you don't need a card why would you app for it? You have enough cards to max your score and if can't meet the initial signup offers it would be a waste of an app IMO. Save the inq in case some offer comes out down the line that makes you want to jump out of the garden again. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.