Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before I upgrade.....

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Before I upgrade.....

Amex sent me an offer to upgrade from PRG to Platinum. I know I can justify the fee because all of my spending goes on my PRG and I just relocated so I'll be flying quite often. Marriott and Platinum Select are my only two other cards with AFs, would Platinum make these obsolete? I'm thinking Platinum Select for sure because I moved from a city that's an AA hub, and even if I flew AA I could use the incidental credit for my checked bags. Marriott I think would still be worth the free night. So should I get rid of the Platinum Select? What could I change it to?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Before I upgrade.....

@icyhot wrote:
Amex sent me an offer to upgrade from PRG to Platinum. I know I can justify the fee because all of my spending goes on my PRG and I just relocated so I'll be flying quite often. Marriott and Platinum Select are my only two other cards with AFs, would Platinum make these obsolete? I'm thinking Platinum Select for sure because I moved from a city that's an AA hub, and even if I flew AA I could use the incidental credit for my checked bags. Marriott I think would still be worth the free night. So should I get rid of the Platinum Select? What could I change it to?

Are you elite on another airline? Using the Platinum incidentals credit for bag fees on an airline (AA) you generally won't be using in the future seems likely to lead to wasting some of it. Maybe use it for fees you can't get waived on an airline you fly more often?

I wouldn't say Platinum makes the AA card obsolete...it's your relocation and loyalty shift that may have that effect.

Keep in mind Platinum now offers Marriott Gold, so if the Marriott annual night is worth the AF to you, it could be well worth keeping.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 5
icyhot
Valued Contributor

I'm not elite on another airline, now that I think about it I normally fly United out of where I am so that's likely the airline I'd use. If it offers Marriott Gold that's definitely worth it as well. I think I'll upgrade to Platinum, keep Marriott and product change the AA
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like the United card might be in your future! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
icyhot
Valued Contributor

i was considering but with 5/24 now applying to cobranded that's a distant future lol

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.