Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Payment Question

tag
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Beginner Payment Question

It's been so long since I went down with my credit back in 2006, I'm not really a beginner (it's just been a long time), but here goes the question. I don't plan to ever be late on my new cards, but If a person pays a day late or 2, is it an automatic 30 days late?

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

Re: Beginner Payment Question

no, but I'd reccomend setting up cards to do at least minimum automatic payments regardless! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 2 of 5
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@angelcred10 wrote:

no, but I'd reccomend setting up cards to do at least minimum automatic payments regardless! Smiley Happy

Thanks for the quick reply. If I set up auto pay, does it just pay the minimum, or can I set it up to PIF?

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 3 of 5
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

you can set up to pay the last statement balance at least for most CC

not sure about a full amount.

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 4 of 5
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@Vegas247 wrote:

@angelcred10 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. If I set up auto pay, does it just pay the minimum, or can I set it up to PIF?

Depends on whether you set up autopay from your bank or from the credit card company, and whether the CC offers multiple options. But you should be able to do this in most cases. 

I took my minimum monthly payment from January, divided it by four, and pay that much every week (I get paid weekly) from my CU's billpay.

I still check monthly to make sure I don't miss something, but in general I pay more than the minimum (8% over January's minimum, 52 1/4s rather than 48), reduce my average daily balance and interest as I go, and don't notice the hit of the monthly minimum. And if I don't change that amount as my minimum and balance go down, I pay it off even faster. 

You can adjust that plan if you get paid biweekly or twice a month of course. Also works for cable and electric. 

About the only downside I can see (and I'm open to adjustment on this) is if anyone is paying attention to your "last payment" amount on your CR, it might look odd. But lack of 30/60/90 and PAYS AS AGREED should speak more loudly. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.