Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginners credit card

tag
Jwaldrup1001
Established Member

Beginners credit card

Want to start off by saying I love this forum. Great people and resources. So I'm sitting here wondering if this is the right time to apply for a credit card. I had one when I was 19 (young and dumb) and now I'm 29. I would consider myself a very responsible individual now that now understands the "bigger picture". What would be a good "1st card"? I've been thinking of AMEX (beginners version), Chase Freedom/Sapphire, etc. just not quite sure. Any help would be great. O yea, I would just be using this as a casual card to continue to increase my credit score overall. Not a big traveller YET lol.

Thanks again
Joseph
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Beginners credit card

Hey Joseph,

it would be much helpful for the experts here in the forum if they know more about your profile-  your AAoA, scores, and if you have any derogs on your report.  We can go from there.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Wow my own life just flashed before me for a second!  I also really messed up my credit when I was 19 and it also took me about 10 years to come to the light, so to speak.

How are your credit reports?  Any negatives reporting?  Any positive tradelines?  

Message 3 of 26
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Jwaldrup1001 wrote:
Want to start off by saying I love this forum. Great people and resources. So I'm sitting here wondering if this is the right time to apply for a credit card. I had one when I was 19 (young and dumb) and now I'm 29. I would consider myself a very responsible individual now that now understands the "bigger picture". What would be a good "1st card"? I've been thinking of AMEX (beginners version), Chase Freedom/Sapphire, etc. just not quite sure. Any help would be great. O yea, I would just be using this as a casual card to continue to increase my credit score overall. Not a big traveller YET lol.

Thanks again
Joseph

I think you need to provide more info to get a good recommendation-

what are your scores? any baddies? Who did you have a card with before and what happened with that card? Who do you bank with? A lot of times it is easier to get started with your own bank or CU. 

Just off top I would nix the CSP if you aren't traveling. 

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 4 of 26
Jwaldrup1001
Established Member

Sorry. Got so excited forgot to give my "stats". EX- 714
EQ- 712
TU-720

I currently have no credit cards. All I have are student loans, which are all in good standards totaling 60k smh. No baddies. No mortgage or auto loan. I currently bank with BoA. Tbh, I've always wanted a AMEX. Do they tradionally pull from EX as I read somewhere, or it varies. Thanks again. If I need more info, let me know.

Joseph
Message 5 of 26
celluloid17
Established Contributor

What are your spending habits?  I would say if you want a beginners AMEX with no AF, your best bet would be either the cash back oriented Blue Cash Everyday (BCE) or the new Amex EveryDay card, which seems better for earning travel points.  

Message 6 of 26
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Have you checked pre-qualifiers?  Amex will pull EX.  App for a charge card, if approved immediately app for a revolver.  Discover likes people with thin files, pulls EQ often.  Barclays is also good to people with little history, pulls TU.

Message 7 of 26
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Have you checked pre-qualifiers?  Amex will pull EX.  App for a charge card, if approved immediately app for a revolver.  Discover likes people with thin files, pulls EQ often.  Barclays is also good to people with little history, pulls TU.

Seconding this one right here. I think you have a good chance at getting the Green card.

Message 8 of 26
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Seconding this one right here. I think you have a good chance at getting the Green card.

All AMEX charge cards have the same underwriting standards, so if OP doesn't mind a lil' higher AF, i would suggest the PRG.

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 9 of 26
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Twas_Sovereign wrote:

@B335is wrote:

All AMEX charge cards have the same underwriting standards, so if OP doesn't mind a lil' higher AF, i would suggest the PRG.

::edited for typo::

Didn't know this, for some reason I thought the other Charge cards were harder to get.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.