cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being asked for ID for CC purchases?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Being asked for ID for CC purchases?

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's correct.

Without a form of identification I wouldn't issue you a key.  I have dealt with these situations before.  In that case, as the manager, I would get involved.  I would work with you to see if you had some alternate form of ID.  In some instances if you had a printout of your confirmation, or could show me a confirmation email I would make an exception, but that would be handled on a case by case basis.  However, even in that situation, the hotel could could be reprimanded if it was observed by corporate.

In this example though, it is finding the balance between Customer Service and Policies/Procedures.

This is reasonable. 

When travelling, though I have it on my phone, I also carrry a printout of my reservation & confirm in my luggage (call me old fashioned).  Moreover, if I didn't, I can always log onto the Hotel's computer and retrieve the reservation from my email.

Another option would be verbal verification of information such as address, phone number and email address that were used to make the reservation.

Basically getting the same information that would be provided if they gave their ID, so back on the OPs point, no more secure then actually handing it over.

Message 81 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be more than happy if they wanted to verify I am who I am and wish more places would do it. Sure, you still run the risks of someone taking your personal info, but honestly I think its more likely to happen when your submitting your info online than it is to happen when your paying for something.

Message 82 of 90
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

I seem to remember from a Vegas stay that a hotel stated it’s a Nevada state law that you need to show a valid ID.

In California of course separate from the Visa/MC merchant agreement, a 2011 ruling made it illegal for merchants to ask for your ZIP code when making a purchase with a credit card.

Message 83 of 90
Open123
Super Contributor

@too-much-time wrote:

I seem to remember from a Vegas stay that a hotel stated it’s a Nevada state law that you need to show a valid ID.

In California of course separate from the Visa/MC merchant agreement, a 2011 ruling made it illegal for merchants to ask for your ZIP code when making a purchase with a credit card.

Right, unlike most other States, here in CA, Merchants aren't nearly as brazen on mandating ID.  Matter of fact, most have stopped asking for it.

*Edited* PS - Some still ask for zips, but they drop it once we refuse.

Message 84 of 90
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would be more than happy if they wanted to verify I am who I am and wish more places would do it. Sure, you still run the risks of someone taking your personal info, but honestly I think its more likely to happen when your submitting your info online than it is to happen when your paying for something.

+1000...our personal information are more likely to get hacked online than having it stolen by a merchant clerk who just wants a quick glance of your ID/CC to see if the name matches. No big deal, but I can understand if certain ppl don't like to be asked. 

Message 85 of 90
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Anyone on here who is saying they will never show an ID better never plan on staying at a hotel ever again then... Not only will your ID be needed to verify you own the reservation, but the Property Management System displays all of your information - CC#, address, phone number, email, etc. So enjoy sleeping in your car.

I don't remember being asked for ID on ANY of my recent hotels stays, just need to give them a credit card at check in.    Where do they require an ID?

At every hotel I've stayed at in Vegas they ask for ID

OK, haven't been there!   But they didn't in CA, NC, and Toronto recently.

This is interesting... I've gotten rooms in NJ, NYC, Atlanta, New Orleans, San Diego, Dallas, Los Angeles, St. Louis, and multiple cities in Florida, and each time without exception I've had to present my ID along with my credit card when I check in.  Maybe I just look sketchy?  LOL

I usually stay in larger-size chain hotels, possibly that makes a difference as well?

As for being locked out, I can personally verify that if you can verbally give them the information from the reservation and tell them what kind of card the deposit is on, getting a new keycard isn't usually a problem, at least with Marriott... Smiley Very Happy

Edited to add:  Showing an ID to check-in to a hotel has never bothered me; I consider it a personal safety issue.

Message 86 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

isnt it just like buying alcohol. you have to show your ID for that purpose no different than showing ID with a Credit card.  just my opinion.

Message 87 of 90
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Yea thats one of the weird things I noticed about CA when I moved there is that everyone ID's you if the charge is over like $10 which is ridiculous. I rarely got ID in my home state.

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 88 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

I couldn't see the clerk memorizing your number, and address info in the quick time they check your id. I would be concerned if they took my card then I would have to say no. Wait staff taking cards is one the most common form of card theft.

Message 89 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually dont have a problem with it because I would rather know the cashier is doing their job if they see a suspicious purchase being made especially with large transactions.  Most cards today also have that chip technology where the card actually has to be inserted in the POS terminal to work.  As far as online theft I think I am covered by my credit monitoring service that will alert me to transactions.  Cap 1 is great they have Cap 1 wallet that instantly alerts me to any purchase either in the store or online if a purchase or transaction takes place.  As far as cashiers being dishonest well thats a chance every consumer has to take when paying with a credit/debit card.  But all major CC companies have zero fraud liability and yes its a pain to go through but its still there to protect us.

I actually went as far to write on my TD Bank Debit Card in the spot where your siggy is required "please see ID"  I do this because your debit card is connected directly to your bank account and you could be wiped out and i dont know if you have ever had to deal with a bank trying to get money refunded but to put it this way it would be easier to rob a united states mint than to get your money back in less than a month.  ( At least with TD Bank)  This of course is just my opinion I cant say for sure its good or bad but for me I dont mind it all.  Have a Great Day everyone 

Message 90 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.