cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being asked for ID for CC purchases?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Being asked for ID for CC purchases?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Anyone on here who is saying they will never show an ID better never plan on staying at a hotel ever again then... Not only will your ID be needed to verify you own the reservation, but the Property Management System displays all of your information - CC#, address, phone number, email, etc. So enjoy sleeping in your car.

I don't remember being asked for ID on ANY of my recent hotels stays, just need to give them a credit card at check in.    Where do they require an ID?

At every hotel I've stayed at in Vegas they ask for ID

Message 71 of 90
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No. I think that a certain amount of homework is your responsibilty. Google is at your fingertips. I said it was on our news channel.

That's not how it works.  You're making the assertion.  You back it up with credible and verifiable sources.  Don't just assume that your local news is a credible source on all topics.  Even if their intent is good they are human and they do make mistakes.  Verify that their claims are correct before running wild with your assertions.  My local news run a lot of sensationalistic nonsense and some stuff that if maybe half correct and/or grossly oversimplified.

What are the real world numbers on ID theft for the scenario you've presented?  How big of a problem is this, really?  Anyone can create a cherry-picked scenario to support their "argument".

@Anonymous wrote:

My cards are signed and I will show them only the front and back of my cards from now on. If that is not good enough, I walk.  Thoughts?

What you do is your call to make.  The amount of security you want to mitigate against potential ID theft is your call.  It's not a solution that I'd use but I'm not worried over your scenario and I have monitoring in place that meets my own requirements.

Message 72 of 90
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Anyone on here who is saying they will never show an ID better never plan on staying at a hotel ever again then... Not only will your ID be needed to verify you own the reservation, but the Property Management System displays all of your information - CC#, address, phone number, email, etc. So enjoy sleeping in your car.

I don't remember being asked for ID on ANY of my recent hotels stays, just need to give them a credit card at check in.    Where do they require an ID?

OK, haven't been there!   But they didn't in CA, NC, and Toronto recently.

Message 73 of 90
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For whatever reason, showing ID is a part of every reservation I've made with Vegas hotels.  

This hasn't happened elsewhere, but I can see where the Hotel would require an ID for a prepaid or partially paid reservation.  I'd imagine they've had imposters claiming to be Mr. X stealing another's rightful reservation.  However, without a prior reservation, showing ID should not be necessary.  For example, if I'm stranded abroad with my cash and wallet stolen, I can't check into a hotel with my overnight CC replacement card and sleep on the streets?  

Does this make sense to anyone?

*Edited*  PS - As with Lurker, the only place I've experienced the ID thing is in Vegas, or when a reservation is prepaid or partially paid in advance.

Message 74 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's definitely not universal

Message 75 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Classic...

I work in the hotel industry.  It is an industry standard that you are always asked for ID before checking in.  Several reasons...  Most obvious is making sure that you are the person who owns that reservation and that someone else isn't being checked into your room.  Also to match the credit card.  Hotels are notorious for getting insane amounts of chargebacks.  Anything we can do to help limit that is done.  Checking IDs is one of them.

Most big chains, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, etc require all of their hotels (franchise or not) to check an ID every time someone is checking in or getting a new key.  If a Quality Auditor were to ever see this not happening there would be major repercussions against the hotel.

Message 76 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's definitely not universal

I can't disagree more!  Not only from my professional experience working in the industry - But I have NEVER checked in to a hotel and not been asked for an ID... 

Message 77 of 90
Open123
Super Contributor

@FladDownRR

How would you handle the following hypothetical for your hotel?

Let's say, I booked a room for your hotel in a far away city.  Enroute, for whatever reason, I had my wallet stolen, but have a replcement CC.  So, without ID, I can't check into my room?

Message 78 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@FladDownRR

How would you handle the following hypothetical for your hotel?

Let's say, I booked a room for your hotel in a far away city.  Enroute, for whatever reason, I had my wallet stolen, but have a replcement CC.  So, without ID, I can't check into my room?

That's correct.

Without a form of identification I wouldn't issue you a key.  I have dealt with these situations before.  In that case, as the manager, I would get involved.  I would work with you to see if you had some alternate form of ID.  In some instances if you had a printout of your confirmation, or could show me a confirmation email I would make an exception, but that would be handled on a case by case basis.  However, even in that situation, the hotel could could be reprimanded if it was observed by corporate.

In this example though, it is finding the balance between Customer Service and Policies/Procedures.

Message 79 of 90
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's correct.

Without a form of identification I wouldn't issue you a key.  I have dealt with these situations before.  In that case, as the manager, I would get involved.  I would work with you to see if you had some alternate form of ID.  In some instances if you had a printout of your confirmation, or could show me a confirmation email I would make an exception, but that would be handled on a case by case basis.  However, even in that situation, the hotel could could be reprimanded if it was observed by corporate.

In this example though, it is finding the balance between Customer Service and Policies/Procedures.

This is reasonable. 

When travelling, though I have it on my phone, I also carrry a printout of my reservation & confirm in my luggage (call me old fashioned).  Moreover, if I didn't, I can always log onto the Hotel's computer and retrieve the reservation from my email.

Message 80 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.