Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Member

Being tested in the garden ...

So here I am in the garden until March 2nd, 2018 ... but this morning a little voice in the back of my head said "oh go on ... check the Amex prequal ... aren't you curious?". I'm guessing some of you are familiar with that voice. Smiley Happy  So i checked, figuring that I'd see the same two prequalified cards with no rewards offer / no stated APR and then back to the garden I'd go. Not so ... for the first time, Amex offered me:

- Everyday with 15,000 rewards points and 0% intro APR for 15 months , then 17.99%.  

... and the:

- BCE with $150 back and 0% intro APR for 15 months, then 17.99%

... which is a milestone. But as tempting as it is 'm going to stay in the garden ... assuming that I may get a higher CL if I wait until my AAOA is 12 months. But I do have a couple of newbie questions, just out of curiosity:

1. Are Amex prequalifies generally pretty solid? 

2. What do you think of the offers?  Are they average? (given my scores, length of credit history, and AAOA)  Can I expect better offers when my AAOA is 12 months?

3. How common / rare are Amex prequalifies? My plan is to wait until March (hoping for a higher CL) ... but would I be smart to snag a card now because I might have to wait a very long time for another offer?  Or are offers pretty common once a certain level of credit-worthiness is reached? 

Thanks ... this is a great forum ... couldn't have gotten my scores up where they are without it. 

- TU 670 EQ 670 EX 733 / 8 month credit history
- AAOA = 5 months
- No negs No late pays / Utilization = 2%
- 16 inquiries (EX) 4 inquiries (TU) 4 inquiries (EQ)
- 9 accounts: OpenSky secured 500, Primor secured 400, Cap One secured 500, J Crew 1k, William Sonoma Visa 2k, Cap One QS1 500, Target 300, Pottery Barn 750, Amex Everyday 1k

Updated 07 / 17 / 2017
Established Contributor

Re: Being tested in the garden ...

Hold on , maybe you'll hear a voice saying not to app right now and you'll be better off next time when u app with them.who knows.

Regular Contributor

gamewithrules wrote:

So here I am in the garden until March 2nd, 2018 ... but this morning a little voice in the back of my head said "oh go on ... check the Amex prequal ... aren't you curious?". I'm guessing some of you are familiar with that voice. Smiley Happy  So i checked, figuring that I'd see the same two prequalified cards with no rewards offer / no stated APR and then back to the garden I'd go. Not so ... for the first time, Amex offered me:

- Everyday with 15,000 rewards points and 0% intro APR for 15 months , then 17.99%.  

... and the:

... which is a milestone. But as tempting as it is 'm going to stay in the garden ... assuming that I may get a higher CL if I wait until my AAOA is 12 months. But I do have a couple of newbie questions, just out of curiosity:

2. What do you think of the offers?  Are they average? (given my scores, length of credit history, and AAOA)  Can I expect better offers when my AAOA is 12 months?

3. How common / rare are Amex prequalifies? My plan is to wait until March (hoping for a higher CL) ... but would I be smart to snag a card now because I might have to wait a very long time for another offer?  Or are offers pretty common once a certain level of credit-worthiness is reached? 

Thanks ... this is a great forum ... couldn't have gotten my scores up where they are without it.

1. Yes, they're pretty solid for the most part.

2. Pretty good actually. Considering the lowest APR is 14% and highest is 24%-ish for those cards you're in the middle of the pack so you shouldn't be lowballed with the SL assuming your income is solid. And of course the higher your score is the better chance you'll have of getting better terms. Offer wise I think that's best ED is; BCE can be a little better with the bonus if you want to go the incognito route to get best bonus which is $250-$300 I think.

3. Since your credit is only gonna get better with inquiries/accounts aging good chance those offers are there to stay. Like you put it you reached the certain credit plateau you're good for getting solid offers from here on out.

FICO 08 Scores (05/30/17): TU 818, EQ 821, EX 823
FICO 08 Scores (06/29/17): TU 817, EQ 821, EX 822

Daily Drivers
AMEX Business Platinum: NPSL | AMEX BCE: $18,000 | Capital One QS: $17,000 | Walmart MC: $15,000 | Sam's Club MC: $15,000
Valued Contributor

That voice.......gets ya in trouble every time 😂

It pulled me me outta the garden last....I received your 2 offers plus PRG. 

😳 I wasn't as strong as you. 

BK 5-2012 Revolving Rebuild Started 6-2016
AMEX ED & SPG | BOA CR | PenFed PC | NFCU FLAGSHIP | Discover IT | CapitalOne QS | LOWES | Barclays AVIATOR
Established Contributor

Justagirl73 wrote:

That voice.......gets ya in trouble every time 😂

It pulled me me outta the garden last....I received your 2 offers plus PRG. 

😳 I wasn't as strong as you. 

Sometimes it's good to listen to the voice. That voice has saved me money over the years..

Amex Green • Amex BCP • Amex HH (Surpass®) • Barclay Rewards • Chase Freedom Unlimited • Chase World of Hyatt • Capital One Quicksilver • Discover it • PENFED Platinum Rewards • Amazon Store • Kohls Store • CL $91,630 • Car Loan (PENFED) 1.99%

FICO® Scores 790+
Super Contributor

gamewithrules wrote:

... and the:

... which is a milestone. But as tempting as it is 'm going to stay in the garden ... assuming that I may get a higher CL if I wait until my AAOA is 12 months.

I would not guess that you will get a better starting limit in 12 months, vs taking a $1k AMEX now and using it properly, then using the 3X CLI method to build your increases over the next year.

$1k (or perhaps $500) now. In 6 months (skip the first 61 days, too new of an overall profile) then go to $3,000 or $1,500. A year from now, 3x again to perhaps $4,500, depending on the rest of your profile. I doubt you would get $4k SL on these cards a year from now.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727 FICO Simulator 2014: $20k balances = 812 FICO.
March 2017 $20k on $300k 6% util EQ 824 TU 824 EX 815

9 / 24 counting down to 1 Nov 2017
Frequent Contributor

gamewithrules wrote:

... and the:

You can get better offers.  You might have to open the browser incognito mode after clearing your history.  But I was able to get 250 dollars back offer approved a couple of days ago for the BCE.  Also got 25,000 point offer from Everyday and 25,000 point offer for Green Card which I did not take.  These aren't prequalify as I only ever prequalify for Green card with no points.  I don't know what interest rate I got on the BCE other than it was 12 months zero percent.  I dont' carry a balance so I don't really check interest rates too closely. 

Valued Member

Thx for everyone's feedback ...

Update: I couldn't resist ... applied yesterday for the Everday card and was approved for 1k Smiley Happy  When I applied I got a 14 day message, but today got an approval email. 

Weirdly, after Amex did an Experian hard pull today, my EX score went up by 12 points since yesterday. Smiley Happy  nice!  So now I'm back in the garden for real until next year ... with a steel bolt on the gate. 

- Can I expect a 3x increase in 91 days?  

- When I logged into Amex it says I've been a member since 1988 (Green card charged off in 1991 ... was on blacklist for 15 years). Will 1988 now determine my length of credit history in credit reports?

- AAOA = 5 months
- 9 accounts: OpenSky secured 500, Primor secured 400, Cap One secured 500, J Crew 1k, William Sonoma Visa 2k, Cap One QS1 500, Target 300, Pottery Barn 750, Amex Everyday 1k

Updated 07 / 17 / 2017
Regular Contributor

Hey congrats on your amex approval gamewithrules!
I would probably wait 'til after 6 months before you hit that luv button for a better result though it won't hurt to do it on the 91st as it's a SP anyways.
Your amex webpage will say 1988 but your CRA reports will be Jul 2017 as a new acct. My DW had reopened an amex last year. It says Member since 2007 but her CRA report it as 2016.
By the way, you said you had a CO with them in 1991 so wouldn't that be an 18 year blacklist instead of 15? 3 yrs is a lot of years to go by for a blacklisted guy like myself dying to get back into their fold! Smiley Happy
In the garden 'til 02/2018

Rebuilding since FICO 500s in 2011

8/15/16 Fico8 EX705 EQ709 TU697
Highlighted
Valued Member

- AAOA = 5 months

Updated 07 / 17 / 2017

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.