Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bemused with Citi

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bemused with Citi

I ran out today to take care of some projects around the house. I spent $20 or $30 at Lowe's, had some breakfast, and got a text from my wife that I needed to deal with a payment issue for some furniture (I had product changed the card that I originally authorized the payment with.) Since I was out for some quick errands, I only brought my Citi TYP to finish up the minimum spend.

I got on the phone with the furniture vendor, explained the situation, and got put on hold. They came back and told me they weren't sure why the items hadn't shipped, so I explained it again. Back on hold, rinse, repeat, escalate, until I eventually got someone to understand that I owed them money! I gave the card number, they told me the purchase authorization went through succesfully, and I rolled on home to get to work.

A couple hours go by and I've knicked my saw blade on an errant piece of concrete. Home Depot is closer to the house (under a mile) so I run back out. I grab a blade, hit the register, and go to pay the $15. Declined. I figure the chip just wasn't all the way in, so I try it again. Declined. Charming. I run back home, grab my phone and another card and get a saw blade. I try to log into the Citi site to see if I somehow was at my limit (which I was 100% sure I was below.) No dice; I'm locked out of my account. I get back home and call the number on the back of the card. Verification is typical, with a text sent to a phone number I gave them. Here is where the bemusement begins.

The customer service rep wants to verify transactions. I explain that I can't verify amounts because I can't log into the website. She lists them anyway, and I say yes to all of them (they're definitely all me.) She gets to the furniture order and gets snippy with me for not giving them a large purchase alert! I explain that this is totally normal spending for me, and that I don't ever have to do that with other vendors. She tells me that I will always have to verify any and every purchase over 2k with Citi. At this point, I take a deep breath and explain to her that I'm not upset with her, but that I won't be continuing to spend on the card after these purchases clear.

Silence over the line.

She asks me why I said that, and I explain that no other vendor puts that restriction on my spending. She explains fraud prevention, and I explain that Chase is kind enough to send me a message while I'm still on the phone that allows me to deal with it immediately. It doesn't disrupt what I'm doing, doesn't require me to escalate for 20 minutes to find the right CSR again, and doesn't get in the way at all. I further explain that AMEX just lets it go through without bothering me until after they've already given approval. She's unswayed (of course, she can't do anything about it. Totally not her fault.) I tell her, amicably, that I respect that she was willing to listen and note my frustration with the company. She wants to know if I have a mobile number (uh, yes? see prior paragraph...) so they can get in touch with me if this happens again. I thank her for her time, explain that it really won't be a problem again, and call back on the furniture.

Now, I totally understand that companies are going to verify potentially fraudulent purchases. I further understand that sometimes those will take time to identify. In this case, they told me they identified it immediately, but declined to inform me. They blamed me for not knowing my spending habits, for actually using the new account, and for not calling in advance. They further got upset that I would expect prompt communication on their part. Perhaps I'm unrealistic, but I think if they've suspected for at most 30 minutes that they should have reached out to the customer already. They don't need to know my habits if they would make an effort to communicate!

So, I don't know where to go from here. I'm interested long term in the Prestige for the 4th night benefit, but that would have to be the only spending on the card. I'd do it all over the phone with CS. I can't dedicate one of two personal card slots in my wallet to a card that I can't use effectively. Does any else have experience with Citi regarding reasonably large purchases? It would be encouraging to hear that they relax after a few months...

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Bemused with Citi

Not heard of calling in for charges 2k and over. I have paid for my mortgage plenty of times with both my citi cards and that is around $2500 with no issues at all.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, I had a bit of a laugh at that. Even Barclays wasn't this skittish!

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm always somewhat conflicted in situations like this, on one hand the inconvenience is frustrating, on the other hand they're kinda looking out for your interest...
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm always somewhat conflicted in situations like this, on one hand the inconvenience is understandable, on the other hand they're kinda looking out for you...

Actually, they're looking out for themselves. The card issuer (or merchant in some cases) is liable for fradulent charges, not the card holder.

My beef isn't that they flagged it, but that they didn't bother to tell me for more than 3 hours. I'm also not interested in working with a company that needs verification for a purchase amount I hit every month, but that is a minor complaint in comparison.

Message 5 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I hadnt use my DC in abit, last month when i went to pay my health insurance, about $250, wouldnt let me , fraud prevention lol. Shudder to think if it was 2kSmiley Wink.....

Oh wait id also need at least 2k on my DcSmiley Wink For the fico in me cant get an increase on this card. Grow with everyone else but CitiSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I hadnt use my DC in abit, last month when i went to pay my health insurance, about $250, wouldnt let me , fraud prevention lol. Shudder to think if it was 2kSmiley Wink.....

Oh wait id also need at least 2k on my DcSmiley Wink For the fico in me cant get an increase on this card. Grow with everyone else but CitiSmiley Wink

This is a great point, even if you joke about it. Sounds to me like this is normal spending for you, even if you normally spend it elsewhere. If they're doing AR of your other products, they know this. Same deal for me; they just approved this card. They absolutely knew what they were getting into at that time.

And...I think they would have been happier about the whole situation if it was ONLY 2k. That is just the number they told me to start to call in at!  Smiley Embarassed

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time with Citi. The $2K thing is news to me. I used my Double Cash to pay for a new roof and I had no issues. The payments were made in installments between $4K - $6K each. This is NOT usual spend for me. 

When I was out of town a few weeks ago, Citi froze my card because they suspected fraud. It was interesting because it wasn't my first time using the card while away. However, they called my home immediately after denying the charges. I was able to log into my account and verify charges online. This was totally my fault because I didn't set a travel notification.

I hope you give Citi another chance because I've been pretty happy with their service. There have been a few hiccups along the way but nothing that would make me close my accounts or SD their cards.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Peteyglad wrote:

Not heard of calling in for charges 2k and over. I have paid for my mortgage plenty of times with both my citi cards and that is around $2500 with no issues at all.

+1

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time with Citi. The $2K thing is news to me. I used my Double Cash to pay for a new roof and I had no issues. The payments were made in installments between $4K - $6K each. This is NOT usual spend for me. 

This is helpful to hear, but could you tell me how long you had been with Citi at this point? I assume the CSR I spoke with today was speaking out of ignorance; a couple data points here indicate the 2k number was likely made up out of whole cloth.

It really isn't a difficulty, and hardly even a first world problem. I'm just used to prompt communication in these situations, and generally wouldn't even be a little annoyed if the situation had resulted in a call, email, or text. If I'm being honest, I'm probably overreacting. I still don't know that I'll carry Citi in my wallet, but I don't currently know what I would replace it with either. One things for sure, I'm not apping for anything for awhile!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.