Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of Amazon Store Card

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Benefits of Amazon Store Card

I am very tempted to app for this. I got 3 new CC in November, so it's nearly 3 mos. (Gosh, I feel like a credit-aholic! Smiley Surprised)

I don't buy a lot from Amazon, but it would be nice to have the CC when I get books from there, and GE has been really good w/CLIs with my other 2 CCs from them.

I was wondering what type of "special offers" they have for cardmembers. Is it primarily 0% financing on bigger ticket items? Do they ever offer discounts, sales, rebates, etc.?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Benefits of Amazon Store Card

I really like my Amazon store card (GERCB one) due to the special 0% terms for purchases and because just about anything is available through Amazon in most cases with free shipping and no sales tax. The 0% financing doesn't really require a large purchase see http://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html?pr=conplcc&inc=def&place=url.

I usually PIF within 60 days even with 0% for 6 months, but the option is there to extend payments if need be. The "regular" interest rates are high, typical with any store card GERCB or otherwise. I also find Amazon to be a first class operation for delivery and returns, with usually competitive pricing.

Message 2 of 20
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

So, do you get free shipping w/their store card? Or is that only with their "prime" program that you have to pay for?

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 20
tbolt2
Contributor

Free shipping is available with the store card - no prime membership required. Generally takes a little longer though...I've ordered everything from single paperbacks to a pc. Even when it's not free, their shipping rates have been more than reasonable for me.

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 20
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Also, just curious what most people tend to get as a starting CL w/the store CC. My other GE CCs started low - at 200 and 300. But my TU FICO has gone up a lot so I'm hoping I'd get a nice CL. Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 20
mxp114
Valued Contributor

It is a nice store card, I haven't used mine in months and so gonna charge something on it asap. I hope Amazon doesn't renew with Chase and instead allows GECRB to offer an Amazon.com Visa or MasterCard branded product. I'd love to convert my store card to that.

Message 6 of 20
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

I really like my Amazon store card (GERCB one) due to the special 0% terms for purchases and because just about anything is available through Amazon in most cases with free shipping and no sales tax. The 0% financing doesn't really require a large purchase see http://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard/marketing.html?pr=conplcc&inc=def&place=url.

I usually PIF within 60 days even with 0% for 6 months, but the option is there to extend payments if need be. The "regular" interest rates are high, typical with any store card GERCB or otherwise. I also find Amazon to be a first class operation for delivery and returns, with usually competitive pricing.

Excellent response!   I love my Amazon, as I shop on Amazon several times a month!  I have had the account for nearly 4 years, and when we had the bad credit crunch, it suffered a CLD.  I think this account started with a $700 CL. It  probably got down to about $400 or so, and then after that CLIs were for about $25-75.  Now, they are between $600 and $1000.  My new CL is $2300.  The account simply grows with you, and it is fairly easy to get.

This account is so convenient.  I like that this one account for which I do not need to carry a physical card, although they actually send you one.As for the Prime membership, so long as you have an email with an .edu extension, you can get a Free student  Prime membership.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 7 of 20
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@tbolt2 wrote:

Free shipping is available with the store card - no prime membership required. Generally takes a little longer though...I've ordered everything from single paperbacks to a pc. Even when it's not free, their shipping rates have been more than reasonable for me.

free shipping is usually limited to orders over $25 shipped from a Amazon wharehouse. 

0% interest for 6 months is availbile for any purchase over $150 IIRC,

which leads to more bigger purchases because its only a few more dollars to reach each teir... so dangerous but cool featues  

CL's are generally good, i got $900 when i openned  6 month later i hit teh luv botton and went to $1200, waited 6 months because i was affraid it was a HP or bad sign but I have read here its a SP and its not negative to GE at all. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 8 of 20
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

You only get free shipping if your total is over 25 dollars on the order for qualifying items, the same as you'd get paying any other way. At least it is for me.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 9 of 20
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

Excellent response!   I love my Amazon, as I shop on Amazon several times a month!  I have had the account for nearly 4 years, and when we had the bad credit crunch, it suffered a CLD.  I think this account started with a $700 CL. It  probably got down to about $400 or so, and then after that CLIs were for about $25-75.  Now, they are between $600 and $1000.  My new CL is $2300.  The account simply grows with you, and it is fairly easy to get.

This account is so convenient.  I like that this one account for which I do not need to carry a physical card, although they actually send you one.As for the Prime membership, so long as you have an email with an .edu extension, you can get a Free student  Prime membership.

I think the first CLD I get, is going to make me close that account. It's the principle of it - if you don't trust me, don't give me the card. Don't just cut your liability in some pansy way, ELIMINATE it, and if you don't, I will and I'll go back to debit if need be. It would more suit me anyway. There are only 2 reasons I use CCs - security so they can't drain my bank account, and to boost my score. If I gotta have some lousy Cap One card with a 500 dollar limit that never, ever increases and use that, ok so be it. But I won't stand for a CLD, not from anyone. They do that to me, that's it.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.