Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of NFCU and USAA

tag
Cageym
Established Contributor

Re: Benefits of NFCU and USAA

Insurance varies so much for everyone it's hard to say how you'll come out but my total bill is about $1260 a year. I'm a full USAA member that's had insurance with them for a while though.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 11 of 36
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I agree insurance has huge amount of variance. USAA is $1400 more a month than Gieco for me.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 12 of 36
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Damn $1400 a month? Do you have a Lambo and a Ferrari in the garage?
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 13 of 36
Fenerbahce
Valued Member

I'm a member of NFCU and PenFed...I recommend PenFed all the way...the others just don't compare...and I have some good cards to compare with.
Photobucket
Message 14 of 36
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Just ran quotes with USAA, they seem to be pretty good rates.

They only give a discount for one banking product. So, I opened a savings account. If I would have gotten an additional discount for a credit card I would have opened one too. 

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 36
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@Fenerbahce wrote:
I'm a member of NFCU and PenFed...I recommend PenFed all the way...the others just don't compare...and I have some good cards to compare with.

Random.....

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 16 of 36
drewrico
New Contributor

I joined Penfed and USAA, denied credit cards for both of them... oh well..

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drewrico wrote:

I was denied a loan from Penfed even with a very qualified cosigner. I was a little shocked. I was still working on my credit, score was in the mid 600's with a cosigner over 750. It took them over a week to tell me no, and they couldn't tell me why it was declined. It was very sloppy they lost some paperwork I faxed them as well. They caused some delays on me picking the car up which I had to fly to get.

After this I applied with NFCU and basically got a quick approval without a cosigner. I put the cosigner on the initial online application because I as expecting it would be needed especially after the PenFed decline. When I talked to the first Loan Officer he couldn't tell me whether I was accepted or declined, just that the co-applicant needed to be an NFCU member, I said that won't be a problem but I'm not going to go through the trouble of making them a member for you to say no. They pulled the credit reports already I would have been very angry to make them a member to find out after that it was already pre-declined. Needless to say he put me on the line with a more qualified LO who asked me why I even put the cosigner on there, and that I didn't need to, I qualified just fine on my own. I've been working with NFCU ever since. I've gotten another loan, and a CC since then. I'm going to finance another car for my wife next month hopefully.

The best benefit for me so far with NFCU has been the lenient credit requirements, which has really helped improve my credit over the last couple years.

Message 18 of 36
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@drewrico wrote:

I was denied a loan from Penfed even with a very qualified cosigner. I was a little shocked. I was still working on my credit, score was in the mid 600's with a cosigner over 750. It took them over a week to tell me no, and they couldn't tell me why it was declined. It was very sloppy they lost some paperwork I faxed them as well. They caused some delays on me picking the car up which I had to fly to get.

After this I applied with NFCU and basically got a quick approval without a cosigner. I put the cosigner on the initial online application because I as expecting it would be needed especially after the PenFed decline. When I talked to the first Loan Officer he couldn't tell me whether I was accepted or declined, just that the co-applicant needed to be an NFCU member, I said that won't be a problem but I'm not going to go through the trouble of making them a member for you to say no. They pulled the credit reports already I would have been very angry to make them a member to find out after that it was already pre-declined. Needless to say he put me on the line with a more qualified LO who asked me why I even put the cosigner on there, and that I didn't need to, I qualified just fine on my own. I've been working with NFCU ever since. I've gotten another loan, and a CC since then. I'm going to finance another car for my wife next month hopefully.

The best benefit for me so far with NFCU has been the lenient credit requirements, which has really helped improve my credit over the last couple years.

Sounds like it is time for you to ditch first premier.

Congrats on the succesful credit journey.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 19 of 36
drewrico
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@drewrico wrote:

See, I cant join NFCU so cant take advantage of the oppurtunities there.

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.