Did you mean: 

Benefits of freezing all 3 CRAs??

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Benefits of freezing all 3 CRAs??

@ryllz75 wrote:

hey all...

am i understanding this correctly.. to put a freeze on my CR's i need to pay $10 per CR to put a freeze and then $10 more for each CR to remove a freeze???  seems excessive??

any way to do this for free or close to it for all 3 Cr's?

Alot of states allow free freezing of reports if you can prove with copy of police report that you were a victim of identity theft.

Message 21 of 49
kogama
Valued Member

Do you think it makes them more suspicious of your account? I might only want to do it to stop myself from applying because I have heavy hands you know Smiley Wink

but AmEx I hear anything triggers a financial review, havent owned my second business a full year for tax info to send them and my listed income includes estimated revenue for both (yes yes I know, shame on me)

Message 22 of 49
baller4life
Super Contributor

I know for new apps Amex makes you unfreeze Ex for processing. I'm not sure if they are able to soft thru a freeze for reviews. Amex holders can chime in here.
Message 23 of 49
Involver
Valued Contributor

Just froze all of my reports largely because I have no need to app for anything in the foreseeable future and this will significantly limit any "impulse apping" for cards I don't need.

Amex can do ARs through a freeze.  They SP me almost weekly lol.

Message 24 of 49
baller4life
Super Contributor

Yeah Barclays, Navy Fed, Cap 1 and Bofa sp just fine thru freeze.

Message 25 of 49
azguy13
Senior Contributor

In most cases, if you dispute something on your report under "this is not mine" will result in a free freeze on your report for a few months. With that tbeing said, do not try and dispute anything on your report that is accurate simply to get a free freeze. 

I had some TLs on  my report a few years back that I was certain was not mine and they put a freeze on my reports for about 3 months I believe. It was specifically due to possible fraud. 

Message 26 of 49
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Freezing CRs can also help in protecting from prior creditors from HPing.  Some collection companies and lawfirms have a bad habit of HPing by mistake.  These mistakes can cost you INQs and difficult to take off.  

That being said and this is just one rumor.  

I hear there are advantages to unfreezing your best CR.  If the other two are frozen the third one your best one will allow pulling.  As long as the creditor is able to see your report an approval is possible.  Any truth to this?

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 27 of 49
kogama
Valued Member

@Fico2Go wrote:

Freezing CRs can also help in protecting from prior creditors from HPing.  Some collection companies and lawfirms have a bad habit of HPing by mistake.  These mistakes can cost you INQs and difficult to take off.  

That being said and this is just one rumor.  

I hear there are advantages to unfreezing your best CR.  If the other two are frozen the third one your best one will allow pulling.  As long as the creditor is able to see your report an approval is possible.  Any truth to this?

Someone please get the answer to this haha! Transunion score is always the best for me.

Message 28 of 49
ryllz75
Established Member

All some additional info for those in my situation...  I currently have an open dispute with TU and when I tried to freeze my report just now it would not let me since I have an Open Dispute.. just an fyi...

- 4/20/14 - Start to credit comeback - TU 630 - 1 Judgment and 5 baddies / EX 609 - 1 Judgment and 1 baddy / EQ 647 - 1 Judgment and 1 baddy
- 6/9/14 - TU 763 (6/20/14) Clean Report! / EX - 703 Clean Report! / EQ - 695 Old Judgment still hanging around
- 6/11/14 - Entered the Garden. Stay until 12/1/14... AOR 11 CC since April 29 with $92k in New CL
Message 29 of 49
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Just to clarify.  I suspect some creditors have their system setup so that HPs will "rollover" to the one that isn't frozen or to all three if all three are unfrozen.

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 30 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.