Did you mean: 

Best 0% CC - Slate or Citi?

tag
LilNYC
New Contributor

Re: Best 0% CC - Slate or Citi?

@LS2982 wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

I got a Chase Freedom in April w/$3k limit. At the time, it was either close to my highest CL, or my highest CL. I've since gotten CLIs from other cards, so it's now among my lowest CL.

@I want to finance a $600 to $700 purchase @ 0%. So, I'm debating between a Slate and Citi card. So far, things have gone well w/Chase, and I"m very happy w/their CS. However, I know that CCs have total limits they'll extend to people. Also, it's only been 4 mos since I got the Freedom. So, I wonder how I'd do w/Chase for a Slate.

I've also seen several Citi cards w/0% offers. However, it seems I've read mixed reviews here w/them. Maybe that's just typical, since everyone has different experiences. Also, I did have a CO w/Citi back in the 80s. I'm not sure how long and good their memory is.

So, I"d reallly appreciate your advice... Would I be better off trying for a Slate or Citi?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

@BTW, my total util is presently under 3%. However, I used an Apple financing offer @ 0% for $6k. So, once that reports next month, my util w/ be closer to 12%.

Did you not get the 0% intro offer for the Freedom?? If you did, why not use it and save a HP?

My thoughts exactly.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 11 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I would still get cc over ge.  Faclower new account equals aaoa hit, inquiry hit.  Hate to take both those hits for account I am not likely to use again and I know will be shut down at some point.   Rather get cc that might grow cl and I can keep active by buying gum.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 12 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I think citi forward is nice card.  Amazon for 5 pts.  Nice.

Message 13 of 17
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I forget which cards you have but calling them to see if they will give you 0% offer works with no hp. Discover some to mind

Message 14 of 17
LilNYC
New Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Yeah! Total sticker shock when I went into the mattress store! Smiley Surprised

If it won't have a negative impact on my CR (and on my CCs who soft me), then the GE credit would be easiest. Also, the 0% CCs I am seeing don't have rewards. (Though I may be missing something.) So, I wouldn't use the card for anything except this purchase. On the other hand, it would probably give me a nice boost for util, which I probably wouldn't get from GE credit.

I've learned so much from this forum, I almost have TMI! I've worked so hard on rebuilding my credit, I just want to be sure I'm making the best credit decision.

Citi Forward & Citi Thank You are rewards cards that are offering 0% apr. Forward for 1 year, Thank You for 15 months. I have both cards, if you want more info on the specifics, etc.

Chase Slate doesn't offer rewards or a sign up bonus. The beneit of the card is  no fees on balance transfers. It's designed for ppl with a lot of debt & I wouldn't recommend applying for it. You are better off waiting & applying later down the line  for a better Chase card like the the CSP which comes with a substantial signup bonus. I wouldn't waste the amT of creit Chase is willing to extend to you on a sub-par roduct like the Slate. Better off increasing your CL on your Freedom (but would most likely be a HP.)

Citi tends to be generous with CLs (just look at my signature for evidence) while Chase is pretty stingy, so Citi's the better bet if you're looking for help with your overall utilization. 

As far as mattresses go, Macy's & 1-800-mattress run great sales, you just have to be lucky enough for the sale to happen when you're looking. If you can afford to wait awhile & aggressively check for promos you might be able to save a couple of hundred dollars. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

Message 15 of 17
LilNYC
New Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

The freedom didn't come with an intro rate. It had a cash reward/rebate instead. Plus, it's been over 4 mos, so I don't think purchases would still qualify. 

I bought the mattress today on my Navy card. I think I'm going to look at Citi cards and app for one for a bt. Hopefull they'll approve me. Smiley Happy

Wow, really?! I got the Freedom a litlle less than 2 months ago & my offer was $100 cash  & 0% apr on purhases & b.t. for 15 months. Chase is pretty good about matching offers. If you contact them & ask they might give you the 0 apr. i think the rule is 90 days though.

Message 16 of 17
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I just called Chase to double-check, and the rep confirmed that the card I got did not come w/intro 0% offer. It had a larger rebate/rewards offer, so maybe that's why. In any case, I probably would have missed the time-frame for an intro rate by now anyway.

I tend to agree w/Crashem that it's not worth the HP and ding to my AAoA, which will be on my CR for 10 yrs after it's closed. I'd rather have it go towards a card that will grow with me and that I'll have for a long time. Definitely looking at Citi cards, assuming they're not blacklisting me from the 80s. They have so many, it's a bit confusing.

Citi® Dividend Platinum Select® Visa® Card looks good and would give me another rewards card, instead of just a 0% offer w/o rewards for future purchases.

Does anyone have Citi recommendations?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.