Valued Member

Best AMEX revolver for my profile?

Evening Y'all!

I have a profile as follows: 

Car loan with 7k remaining 

AAoA of 2y 8mo

19k of student loans

and the cards/scores in my siggy. 

I have 6 HP on EQ 5 on EX and 4 on TU...

I make about 50k a year with a hopeful soon 15k promotion, I travel out of country 2-3 times yearly, but mostly the card will be to phase out cap 1 as my primary revolver.  I just got my green card in the mail a week ago after responding to a prequal letter. What are my chances of a amex revolver and which one would you recommend? Should I let my HPs fall off first?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Best AMEX revolver for my profile?

@Jdear148 wrote:

Evening Y'all!

I have a profile as follows: 

Car loan with 7k remaining 

AAoA of 2y 8mo

19k of student loans

and the cards/scores in my siggy. 

I have 6 HP on EQ 5 on EX and 4 on TU...

I make about 50k a year with a hopeful soon 15k promotion, I travel out of country 2-3 times yearly, but mostly the card will be to phase out cap 1 as my primary revolver.  I just got my green card in the mail a week ago after responding to a prequal letter. What are my chances of a amex revolver and which one would you recommend? Should I let my HPs fall off first?

I would lets some of those HPs age, and maybe in few months apply for something like ED. The only issue i see right now with your amex cards are they don't offer many non ftf cards. I believe green and ed have FTF. Major pet peeve for me with amex cards.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 9
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

yeah it's tough. i agree with mongstradamus, the Everyday might be your best bet. either that or the Blue Cash Everyday depending on where your other expenses are going.

ED is better if you:

-value to start building Membership Rewards points which are flexible and can be transferred to flight partners so you can travel more (which i assume you do since you mentioned travel)

-expenses are spread across the board and you make it a habit to use your card for many small purchases (20x month)

BCE is better if you:

-prefer to just get cash back from your purchases

-other expenses are mostly gas or groceries (2% and 3%)

as for chances, id wait a little bit until your scores at at least all over 700. 720+ should be a safe bet for getting approval

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 3 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Jdear148 wrote:

What are my chances of a amex revolver and which one would you recommend? 

No idea on chances.  If you want recommendations then you need to give us some criteria to help narrow down the options.  What are you looking for from the card?  Are you looking for rewards on specific spend categories?  Specific beneftis?  Cash back?  MR points?  Give us something to work with.

Message 4 of 9
Jdear148
Valued Member

Mainly the card will be used for reimbursement of work expenses such as taking customers or employees out to lunch meetings, and my out of country travel which will be about 3 times yearly. I'm not particularly set on reward type, but I rarely pay for fuel, and my wife does the majority of the groceries. Utility payments may be put on this card if there is a greater benefit than there is on the green card. I guess I am also curious which Amex revolver y'all are most satisfied with.
Message 5 of 9
jd352
Regular Contributor

@Jdear148 wrote:
Mainly the card will be used for reimbursement of work expenses such as taking customers or employees out to lunch meetings, and my out of country travel which will be about 3 times yearly. I'm not particularly set on reward type, but I rarely pay for fuel, and my wife does the majority of the groceries. Utility payments may be put on this card if there is a greater benefit than there is on the green card. I guess I am also curious which Amex revolver y'all are most satisfied with.

Be very careful with this! Amex is not a "fan" of running business expenses through personal cards. They have in the past shut down accounts for running business expenses through personal cards. I'm not saying people don't do it and get away with it. But, if you are looking to use this card for business expenses, apply for a business card if you are the owner of the business. They have several business revolvers if your set on having a revolver over a charge card.

If your not the owner, see if your work can provide you with a card for expenses. But, if not, just be careful with how much you are charging because if your expenses don't make sense per the income you provide, they can initiate a financial review which is when they will shut the card down.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 6 of 9
Jdear148
Valued Member

Wow, very good info about business spending. I work for one of the largest transport providers in the world, and all business T&E we have goes through our personal cards then we get reimbursed via the next months check. Considering that info, might it be smarter to run all reimbursements through cap1 and req a CLI? I like Amex for its customer service as I a customer service manager myself, but I will avoid them for business reimbursement if it would jeopardize my new found relationship with them.
Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think the real danger is when you do this as a business owner.   If you are an employee, you can hardly force your employee to give you a corporate card if they don't want to, and I think this is a pretty common scenario.  Amex is also getting the swipe fees and little of the risk than if these really were your own expenses.

In the worst case, you could explain this at a financial reivew, so I wouldn't over-worry.

Message 8 of 9
milkshakes
Regular Contributor

Yeah, I think it's very common for many companies to reimburse expenses rather than provide you with a company card, especially at the entry-mid level. Even many MCs who do 60+% traveling typically expense things to the company rather than get their own own corporate card.

so as long as it's not your own business and it's the typical lunch meetings and things of that nature, im sure you'd be fine.

12k                    10k                     5k                 12.5k (AU)                 6k                   NPSL                   12k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.