Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Airline Rewards Card?

tag
Finance805
Valued Member

Best Airline Rewards Card?

Hi,

I was curious what the general consensus is for the best airline rewards card is.  I've been told that the best airline reward program is Southwest but the problem with that program is it is only in the continental U.S. and they do not have any partner airlines.  Been looking at American Airlines AAdvantage and Delta Skymiles but if there are any other suggestions I am open to them.

Thanks in advance!

Updated Scores (All Pulled 4/9/15) - FICO: Equifax-774 / FICO: Experian-736 / FICO: TransUnion-777
Starting Scores - FICO: Equifax-670 (Pulled 9/2/12) / FICO: Experian-656 (Pulled 10/26/11) / FICO: TransUnion-627 (Pulled 11/14/11)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best Airline Rewards Card?

Don't mean to start out negatively but you are planning to wait to apply for any airline card until you get your scores up in the 700 range right?

Okay now to the question, In the past I would have always said Southwest but then about a year or so ago I believe it was they started making some tickets cost 32 points for round trip instead of the original 16k depending on availability of seats, etc.

Delta also does that now, can cost up to 50k miles for a round trip that you could buy for under $500... you realize at 1 for 1 points you are spending 50k for a free ticket.

I would have to say unless you travel A LOT to the same locations, use the same airline all the time, I would never get an airline card... you can maximize points and cash back 5 fods with regular reward programs that are not just for airline... however if you are finding yourself traveling a lot, first check bag free (delta) the new United Chase card (free checked bag, priority line, couple other things) those things add up and save time if you are traveling a lot.

you just need to look at how much you travel, what you spend your money on your credit cards and rather it works out better for you.

Message 2 of 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I dont know if it is best or not, but just last week I got aproved for JetBlue Amex Card and Chase BA Visa Card.

Message 3 of 13
Finance805
Valued Member

@Creditaddict wrote:

Don't mean to start out negatively but you are planning to wait to apply for any airline card until you get your scores up in the 700 range right?

Okay now to the question, In the past I would have always said Southwest but then about a year or so ago I believe it was they started making some tickets cost 32 points for round trip instead of the original 16k depending on availability of seats, etc.

Delta also does that now, can cost up to 50k miles for a round trip that you could buy for under $500... you realize at 1 for 1 points you are spending 50k for a free ticket.

I would have to say unless you travel A LOT to the same locations, use the same airline all the time, I would never get an airline card... you can maximize points and cash back 5 fods with regular reward programs that are not just for airline... however if you are finding yourself traveling a lot, first check bag free (delta) the new United Chase card (free checked bag, priority line, couple other things) those things add up and save time if you are traveling a lot.

you just need to look at how much you travel, what you spend your money on your credit cards and rather it works out better for you.

Are reward cards that hard to get?  Also I was under the opinion that there is more bang for the buck for airline cards than typical rewards card?  Perhaps I was mistaken.  My reasoning for asking is I plan on doing traveling now that I have a stable job + vacation time.

Updated Scores (All Pulled 4/9/15) - FICO: Equifax-774 / FICO: Experian-736 / FICO: TransUnion-777
Starting Scores - FICO: Equifax-670 (Pulled 9/2/12) / FICO: Experian-656 (Pulled 10/26/11) / FICO: TransUnion-627 (Pulled 11/14/11)
Message 4 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

it's that a rewards card is harder to get, it's that Chase, Amex, Bank of America, USBank, Citi are prime banks and we do see 640ish getting Amex Charge Cards sometimes but revolving account with Chase and Amex and BofA I think you need to be hovering around the 700 and a 700 fairly clean of baddies report. (it's not set in stone I realize but...)

Message 5 of 13
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

it's that a rewards card is harder to get, it's that Chase, Amex, Bank of America, USBank, Citi are prime banks and we do see 640ish getting Amex Charge Cards sometimes but revolving account with Chase and Amex and BofA I think you need to be hovering around the 700 and a 700 fairly clean of baddies report. (it's not set in stone I realize but...)

I have to agree about getting approved for airline cards.  They usually do require 700-720+ scores to get approval.  It's best to do some research to see which airline would best fit your needs.  If you live near a "hub" airport for a particular airline, that would be a good candidate.  Also, airlines partners are important to maximize redemption options.  I have a Southwest, AAdvantage, and a new US Air MC.  I got the Southwest and AA cards last year and so far have redeemed my free flights on Southwest already.  Southwest has a hub very close to me and the other too have a lot of flights from Bay Area airports.  Have a goal/game plan on how you will use the miles as well.  I'm saving my American miles for a trip to Europe next year and the US Air free flights to go to FL to see my SO.  There are various websites on the internet that will give you some approval data points for each of those cards.  Hope this info helps...and good luck!!  Smiley Wink

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 6 of 13
redwalker2929
Regular Contributor

I agree with what's been said in the previous posts.  Most airline cards require you to open the card with a minimum of 5k CL.  Next consider what airline you would use the most and if the 1st checked bag free will pay off.  Just a heads up....the Spirit World Mastercard gives you two miles for every dollar on ALL purchases and 15,000 bonus miles after first purchase.  Plus you can get a Round trip ticket for only 5000 miles(off peak and blackout dates apply) which translates to a free ticket after spending $2,500!!!!!  Please be advised that if you do not have great credit...they will place you into a platinum plus card that only earns the 1 to 1 ratio and will only get 5000 bonus miles.  You can discuss the importance of the 5k credit line with BoA during the instant decision call in.

Good luck!!!

Message 7 of 13
TM82
Regular Contributor

The best card to get in my opinion is the Sapphire Preferred.  Reasons?

1. The Chase Freedom + Sapphire Preferred + Chase Checking is a powerful mileage earning machine.  Make small purchases on the Freedom and sometimes get a 10% return.  Add in the 5% quarterly categories, and the ability to transfer points between programs and you'd almost be doing wrong if you weren't averaging AT LEAST a 2-3% return.

2. Ability to transfer 1:1 to Continental/United, British Airways, and Korean Air.  They're adding Southwest as a partner starting 1/5.  And transfers are instant and without an excise fee.  Some American Express card end up tacking on another $5-60 in transfer fees.

3. 50,000 bonus points if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months.  (Though this signup bonus has been ongoing for a few months now, it can end at any time).

4. The card just looks so damn cool.

If they ever gave bonus points transfer promotions once in a while, even if it's 1-2 times a year (Delta always seems to have a 30-50% bonus points promotion ongoing, but then again it leads to a devaluation of points) then my entire spend would shift towards the Chase cards.

My Cards
American Express Blue | American Express Premier Rewards Gold | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase United Explorer | Chase United MileagePlus Club | JPMorgan Palladium

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best reward card? That depends. Do you want free flights as fast as possible, or do you care about perks like free bags or priority boarding?

Do you fly out of a hub? That will also be a factor. If you live near Atlanta, choose Delta, Dallas is AA, Chicago is AA or United, etc.

I have had the same question as you and since my goal is to earn free flights as quick as possible, and since I don't live in a hub city there is no one dominant airline to fly I am wanting the capital one venture since I will be flying in coach and looking for the best deals, specific airline or perks not important.

It gives me a flat 2 cents per dollar spent on everything. With most FF programs you can get a free round trip at 25,000 miles, assuming it is even available.

If you get an airline card and want to purchase a free domestic flight. Most domestic flights, at least out of my airport, are between 200 and 400 dollars. A mile in that case is worth a little more than 1 cent on average, assuming a saver award is even available. Say you see a flight for 250 dollars, and it costs 25,000 miles. That is esentially 1% cash back, while the Venture is a sure 2% cash back.

Where you would get the most value out of airline miles is redeeming for first class tickets, if you have the patience to save up that many miles. In those cases a mile can be worth as much as 4 or 5 cents per mile.

If you have one airline that you choose to fly most often, and would enjoy the perks of having thier card, then I would go with an airline branded card.

If you are a budget traveler looking for the best deals, go with the Venture.

If you want the best of both worlds go with the Chase freedom and sapphire preferred like another poster suggested. You can use your points to book flights through Ultimate rewards with no blackout dates or having to use double miles for a standard award, or if it is more valuable you can transfer to several airline partners to redeem that way if you wish.

Message 9 of 13
onceuponan803

Can you explain a bit more about the Chase Saphire + checking account?  I've got a Chase British Airways Visa... it's ok for mile redemption but they've got some terrible fine print issues--- if you miss your flight, (24 hours or less) they don't transfer the miles to another flight.  I read that as "you're outta luck, sucka!  Buy a full fare ticket home or else!).

However... my family and I just went to Rome on BA miles... plus I get a companion flight if I spend 30K or more on the card in a calendar year (did that, have the companion ticket and hopefully going to Africa before the companion ticket expires).   The BA flights cost more to redeem than my other airline card (Citi AAdvantage for American airlines).  From LAX...Rome was $600 or so r/t on BA;  Lima Peru is $71 R/t on American.  That's a big difference for a "free" flight.  I LOVE my AA card!  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.