cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Airlines CC....??

tag
grifter93

Best Airlines CC....??

Looking to take a family trip to Australia later this summer - I'm interested in capitalizing on the purchases to work for me.  I'd like to get one with a generous CL so that I'm not over my usage/available credit percentage.  I'd go with Southwest as I use them most often, but they don't fly overseas - so they are out.  I'm up for any suggestions, still not sure if the best route is for 'points' or for 'cash back' - I'm tending towards 'cash back' as we don't fly overseas too often, but could begin to in the coming years?  

Or...

Do I go with a non-airlines card altogether?  

Thank you in advance...

EQ: 719 

USAA MC:  18K

Costco AMEX:  15K 

Cap ONE: 500  (Not a big fan  - but my longest historical card)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Airlines CC....??

If having no foreign transaction fees is important to you, and not having an airline specific card matters, too...Cap One.

I may be wrong ( I frequently am), but I usually give pretty good guesses!

Have fun down under.  I'd love to visit there, hope I get the chance to do that someday.

Smiley Happy

P.S.  I like Southwest, too, for US travel.

Message 2 of 4
vish1
Valued Contributor

At this point, BA may be the one to look for coz of many reasons:

• 100,000 bonus miles (which I think can be used on qantas flights as qantas and BA are partners)
  • No FTF (foreign transaction fee)
  • Good CLs
Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 4
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

At this point, BA may be the one to look for coz of many reasons:

• 100,000 bonus miles (which I think can be used on qantas flights as qantas and BA are partners)
  • No FTF (foreign transaction fee)
  • Good CLs

The British Airways/Chase offer is the best out there right now... HOWEVER... BA imposes hefty fuel surcharges which must be paid if redeeming points.  I'd do more research on that FF program to make sure it will work for you and not cost you a lot of $$.  American Airlines AAdvantage/Citi still has the 75k bonus miles promo and they have airline partners that fly to Australia.  I think United/Chase has a 50k promo lurking around still.  It's best to check the redemption policies of all of these programs as they all work differently.  The FTF should be considered if you're planning on using the card a lot overseas but shouldn't be a deal breaker if you're getting a great sign-up bonus.  There are a number of traveller websites out there that can give you a LOT of info.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.