grifter93

Best Airlines CC....??

Looking to take a family trip to Australia later this summer - I'm interested in capitalizing on the purchases to work for me.  I'd like to get one with a generous CL so that I'm not over my usage/available credit percentage.  I'd go with Southwest as I use them most often, but they don't fly overseas - so they are out.  I'm up for any suggestions, still not sure if the best route is for 'points' or for 'cash back' - I'm tending towards 'cash back' as we don't fly overseas too often, but could begin to in the coming years?  

Or...

Do I go with a non-airlines card altogether?  

Thank you in advance...

EQ: 719 

USAA MC:  18K

Costco AMEX:  15K 

Cap ONE: 500  (Not a big fan  - but my longest historical card)

Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

Re: Best Airlines CC....??

[ Edited ]

If having no foreign transaction fees is important to you, and not having an airline specific card matters, too...Cap One.

I may be wrong ( I frequently am), but I usually give pretty good guesses!

Have fun down under.  I'd love to visit there, hope I get the chance to do that someday.

:smileyhappy:

P.S.  I like Southwest, too, for US travel.

Valued Contributor
vish1

At this point, BA may be the one to look for coz of many reasons:

• 100,000 bonus miles (which I think can be used on qantas flights as qantas and BA are partners)
  • No FTF (foreign transaction fee)
  • Good CLs
Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
Established Contributor
jefftca925

vish1 wrote:

At this point, BA may be the one to look for coz of many reasons:

• 100,000 bonus miles (which I think can be used on qantas flights as qantas and BA are partners)
  • No FTF (foreign transaction fee)
  • Good CLs

The British Airways/Chase offer is the best out there right now... HOWEVER... BA imposes hefty fuel surcharges which must be paid if redeeming points.  I'd do more research on that FF program to make sure it will work for you and not cost you a lot of $$.  American Airlines AAdvantage/Citi still has the 75k bonus miles promo and they have airline partners that fly to Australia.  I think United/Chase has a 50k promo lurking around still.  It's best to check the redemption policies of all of these programs as they all work differently.  The FTF should be considered if you're planning on using the card a lot overseas but shouldn't be a deal breaker if you're getting a great sign-up bonus.  There are a number of traveller websites out there that can give you a LOT of info.

CCs: Chase Freedom World MC 6.9k, CSP VISA Sg 7k, BofA Amex 12.5k, Discover 10.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 12.5k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom Visa Sg 10k, Amex Zync, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR Visa Sg 17k, Amex BCP 9.5k, Amex Blue 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 4k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR Visa 44.6k, Chase United Visa Sg 13k, Chase Marriott Visa Sg 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 5k, Compass Visa 4k, WF Visa Sg 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 13.3k, Capital One QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 13.5k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Barclay Arrival 10k, Ebates Visa Sg 8k FICOs as of June '14...EQ 808 TU 804 EX ?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+