Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best AmEX card?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Best AmEX card?

@Anonymous wrote:
^ Not really. Those are the flagship Amex cards.. In THAT order!

But informed consumers don't take marketing as the determining factor!     Even among MR cards, some may find the ED or EDP a much better match

Message 21 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ Yes I understand! But the question is which are the best card from Amex... I don't think anyone can deny those are the best cards from Amex. Whether they're best for YOU is a different discussion!
Message 22 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
^ Yes I understand! But the question is which are the best card from Amex... I don't think anyone can deny those are the best cards from Amex. Whether they're best for YOU is a different discussion!

Well, I will happily deny it!

I don't think even Amex promotes them as the best.   They provide a range of cards for different needs, not "Well as you cannot get the Plat, how about the BCE"

They have different costs, but that relates to the cost of the benefits, not the bestness.

Message 23 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But informed consumers don't take marketing as the determining factor!     Even among MR cards, some may find the ED or EDP a much better match

Um, I am informed. 

The Centurion, Platinum, and PR Gold offer the most in terms of benefits. You don't get an AMEX card solely for Rewards points or cash back. 

I don't fall for marketing. 

3x points on airlines, 2x points at supermarkets, gas stations, and restaurants, and 1x on everything else is better than any card but the EDP card, but the EDP doesn't have any benefits and it's only $100 cheaper a year. 

Message 24 of 48
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So how does that make them "the best?"

Message 25 of 48
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually, the OP was asking about a card for everyday spending. I really don't see how the Centurion or Platinum fits an "everyday spend" card. Then again, I don't have a Centurion - it might be the best thing out there for daily spend!

Message 26 of 48
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Um, I am informed. 

The Centurion, Platinum, and PR Gold offer the most in terms of benefits. You don't get an AMEX card solely for Rewards points or cash back. 

3x points on airlines, 2x points at supermarkets, gas stations, and restaurants, and 1x on everything else is better than any card but the EDP card, but the EDP doesn't have any benefits and it's only $100 cheaper a year. 

And here I thought that was the sole reason for me getting a PRG in the first place. Stupid me!!!

Message 27 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Um, I am informed. 

I wasn't saying that you weren't informed, merely that Amex's choice of AF does not constiute a definition for bestness.

That said, many people here DO get an Amex card soley for cash back, in particular the BCP.   Which for them, is the best Amex.

Message 28 of 48
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Um, I am informed. 

I wasn't saying that you weren't informed, merely that Amex's choice of AF does not constiute a definition for bestness.

That said, many people here DO get an Amex card soley for cash back, in particular the BCP.   Which for them, is the best Amex.

+1  Smiley Happy

'Best' is always subjective, even the term 'flagship' is subjective.

What's best for one might not be best for someone else.  I prefer cash back hands-down, thus my own personal affinity for my BCP.  I do have a PRG as well, but the MR points are almost an after-though since I got it for reasons unrelated to rewards or points.

If by some 'miracle of miracle' Amex were to bless me with a Centurion card (a.k.a. Amex Black card) it would be next to useless for me - seriously. 

I've come to realize whenever someone ask about 'what's the best' on nearly anything, it's generally safest to simply state the facts about the product and let them make up their own mind, or state your own opinion in a way that makes it clear you're doing just that - giving your opinion and not stating a 'definite'.  Smiley Wink

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Um, I am informed. 

Obviously it varies by person, but generally speaking the Black, Platinum, and PR Gold cards are their flagship cards. 

I"m a big fan of their translucent cards and their rewards, but they  don't offer squat in terms of benefits compared to the colored cards. 

However, those people who use a card strictly for cash back are generally the ignorant ones who don't understand the benefits of using credit cards, other than for financing something they can't afford. I'm not saying that's everyone, but it's generally speaking. 

Usually those who use the cash back or point revolvers won't get $500+ a year in benefits PLUS the rewards dollars. 

You also have to remember that the 6% supermarket card is $95 a year, and only allows the 6% on up to $6,000 per year, making it $100 less than a card that gives you much more bang for your buck. 

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.