Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Amex credit card?

tag
Mario4
New Contributor

Best Amex credit card?

New member to the forum and just looking for some advice.

I'm going to be replacing one of my current credit cards. 

Im looking to get an amex credit card, because I've heard they are fairly generous with limit.

The amex card must be eligible for the 3x CLI after 61 days. Im looking for a card with cash back as well. ( I dont travel )

Any suggestions other than amex are welcome as well.

Cards for 720-850 scores are welcome. I have good-excellent credit. 

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Amex credit card?

BCP, followed by TrueEarnings.  This forum is obsessed with BCE, so that's the only recommendation you're gonna get from them.

Message 2 of 21
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Mario4 wrote:

Im looking to get an amex credit card, because I've heard they are fairly generous with limit.

The amex card must be eligible for the 3x CLI after 61 days. Im looking for a card with cash back as well. ( I dont travel )

Welcome to myFICO. I would go for the BCP if your spending pattern supports the AF. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 21
amakol
Regular Contributor

True Earnings if you're a costco member, BCP/BCE if you're not.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 4 of 21
cyclesport45
Established Member

+1 for the BCP, IF you actually buy enough groceries (at what they consider grocery stores) to justify the $75 AF.  I'll probably get back about $500 this year, unless I stop eating, or unless my Chase Freedom card decides to give 5% back on gas for all 4 quarters.

If not, the BCE is a fine card, and its free.

Chase Freedom(5.3K), Citi Double Cash (8.8K). Citi Thank You Preferred(10.2K) DCU Platinum Rewards(10K), REI Visa(9.6K) Amex Blue Sky(5K), Amex Blue Cash Preferred (20K), Crate & Barrel (3.5K) Discover IT(16.5K) CSP (28K)
Message 5 of 21
Mario4
New Contributor

Awesome and in reponse to both of you guys. I've hear amex is infamous for lowering people's CLI'S

What should i do to avoid getting my CLI chopped in half or something?

thanks guys. 

Message 6 of 21
amakol
Regular Contributor

Being a new Amex revolver holder, this isn't exactly backed by experience... but don't worry. Use your card the way it helps you and the way you can manage it easiest, other than maxing it out. If you get a CLD for whatever reason, deal with it then. No use thinking about it now.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 7 of 21
Mario4
New Contributor

@bonehead88 wrote:

Being a new Amex revolver holder, this isn't exactly backed by experience... but don't worry. Use your card the way it helps you and the way you can manage it easiest, other than maxing it out. If you get a CLD for whatever reason, deal with it then. No use thinking about it now.

Great thanks a lot.  I really appreciate it 

Message 8 of 21
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Mario4 wrote:

They'll cut your limits if they notice high utilization on your other cards.  That's what happened to me back in '09.  They slashed my CL from $6.5K to $500 once they noticed I was just making minimum payments on my other cards (thanks a lot, ex wife)

Message 9 of 21
red259
Super Contributor

@thelethargicage wrote:

BCP, followed by TrueEarnings.  This forum is obsessed with BCE, so that's the only recommendation you're gonna get from them.

Actually that's not true. I rarely recommend the BCE, unless someone just does not spend enough on groceries to justify the AF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.