cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Balance Transfer card with Highest possible Credit limit on approval?

tag
RandomSpirit
Regular Contributor

Best Balance Transfer card with Highest possible Credit limit on approval?

What is the best balance transfer card (preferably with no transfer fee)?  

I am trying to assist a friend who is trying to pay down about 15k in 2yrs or less. 

Credit score is 711( from Cap1Fico).

2 inquiries (10/2013 & 04/2014) in the last 5 years.

AAoA is  6.6 years

Overall util  25-30%  

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Balance Transfer card with Highest possible Credit limit on approval?

One option is to see if there's a BT offer on an existing credit card. My boss got an offer for a 15 mo. 0% APR balance transfer on her Bank of America card (she's had it for years) and took it to move $18k to 0% off of Citi.

The Chase Slate is one of - if not the - best balance transfer cards there is. 0% APR for 15 months and $0 BT fee if done within first 60 days of opening the account. The $0 fee is key here, as the fee is typically 3% (on $15,000 that's $450.... more debt).

The Slate, from what I've seen, doesn't typically come with huge initial CLs, but high limits aren't unheard of.

P.S. - That Cap1 score isn't a FICO (it's not even close, unfortunately/fortunately), so finding her actual FICO will be more helpful.

Message 2 of 17
Scupra
Super Contributor

Barclay may be an option, not sure where her CC debt is held at.. SL is going to be dependent of credit file and income though

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America and Discover have balance transfer offers all the time...
Message 4 of 17
Kostya1992
Established Contributor

Slate just call them and say you want 15 grand, they will counter with a slightly lower number.

TU08 FICO850
EX08 FICO850
EQ08 FICO850

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kostya1992 wrote:

Slate just call them and say you want 15 grand, they will counter with a slightly lower number.

Yeah you'll probably get countered $14,999.00 and you can counter back at $14,999.50 and they should accept 

Message 6 of 17
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@RandomSpirit wrote:

What is the best balance transfer card (preferably with no transfer fee)?  

I am trying to assist a friend who is trying to pay down about 15k in 2yrs or less. 

Credit score is 711( from Cap1Fico).

2 inquiries (10/2013 & 04/2014) in the last 5 years.

AAoA is  6.6 years

Overall util  25-30%  

Credit unions tend to offer those kinds of cards. Maybe look into one of those.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 17
baller4life
Super Contributor

I agree with CUs. Maybe NASA or Penfed.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

One option is to see if there's a BT offer on an existing credit card. My boss got an offer for a 15 mo. 0% APR balance transfer on her Bank of America card (she's had it for years) and took it to move $18k to 0% off of Citi.

The Chase Slate is one of - if not the - best balance transfer cards there is. 0% APR for 15 months and $0 BT fee if done within first 60 days of opening the account. The $0 fee is key here, as the fee is typically 3% (on $15,000 that's $450.... more debt).

The Slate, from what I've seen, doesn't typically come with huge initial CLs, but high limits aren't unheard of.

P.S. - That Cap1 score isn't a FICO (it's not even close, unfortunately/fortunately), so finding her actual FICO will be more helpful.

+1 to everything jdt said - the good news (maybe) is that cap1 has always been way low for me. it's always 30 or so points below my real fico scores. not sure if it's the same with everyone, but it can differ a lot. i got a barclay nfl card a few months ago, which had 0% for i think 15 months. good because i knew it would hit TU, and i just had hit ex 3 times. also was approved for 5k with a score right around 685, so decent enough SL. got a 100 dollar offer for 500 in spend too.

cap 1 also has the platinum prestige, which is good because you can check their prequal site for a pretty reliable predictor before applying.

also, the sportman's guide visa has 0% as well (12 months i think), but you can't get them without a HP anymore I hear.

those are the one i have experience with, but chase slate, freedom and dicover it are also good ones it seems

Message 9 of 17
Mellon
Established Contributor

If they are eligible for NFCU, they would be a great option as they do BT at 0% and no BT fee usually for 12 months

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.