Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy CC owned by HSBC or Cap One?

tag
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Best Buy CC owned by HSBC or Cap One?

Last August it was in the news that Capital One was buying up HSBC's retail card operations, not the HSBC Bank USA cards.

I saw on the Best Buy app that HSBC still issues it. Will this change to Capital One soon?

I have an HSBC card but I can never get a CLI. However I have a Cap One Auto Loan and 2 cards with them. I may have better luck if/when it switches over. Anyone have any info on this? All my google searches just result in August/2011 articles.

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Best Buy CC owned by HSBC or Cap One?

@randaljon wrote:

Last August it was in the news that Capital One was buying up HSBC's retail card operations, not the HSBC Bank USA cards.

I saw on the Best Buy app that HSBC still issues it. Will this change to Capital One soon?

I have an HSBC card but I can never get a CLI. However I have a Cap One Auto Loan and 2 cards with them. I may have better luck if/when it switches over. Anyone have any info on this? All my google searches just result in August/2011 articles.

It's a mixed answer on here. Not really sure if HSBC is selling or keeping this card. I haven't recieved any notice about it personally and I have this card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 8
randaljon
Regular Contributor

One of my goals has been to get a Best Buy or Dell card, but I am scared to apply until I reach a 720 FICO. I do have an HSBC (Orchard Bank) but they just denied me a CLI even though I have 12 months of perfect payment history and a zero balance. I guess I better stay away from applying for any HSBC cards.

I think Chase services Dell right?

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 3 of 8
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

I was JUST approved for the Best Buy Store Card like two weeks ago..... ALL of my lender info says HSBC still and the rates/guidelines disclosure has a print date of jan 2012. Not sure they would have contracted/printed/sent all the information to every Best Buy of the change was "imminent" who knows though, they may be just trying to cover their behinds.....

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 4 of 8
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Not my words but from another credit card site:

"How the Capital One-HSBC credit card deal affects consumers"

"Affected are 10.3 million holders of HSBC-branded MasterCard and Visa  bank cards, 3.3 million holders of General Motors and AFL-CIO cards that are co-branded with  HSBC, and 13.6 million holders of credit cards that carry the logos of Best Buy,  Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue and 18 other retail firms that co-brand with  HSBC."

Message 5 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Web Bank has my Dell account, not chase. .

The early announcements said they expected to move the accounts in 2Q of 2012 (April through June).   BB is included.

Of course, things can change.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randaljon wrote:

One of my goals has been to get a Best Buy or Dell card, but I am scared to apply until I reach a 720 FICO. I do have an HSBC (Orchard Bank) but they just denied me a CLI even though I have 12 months of perfect payment history and a zero balance. I guess I better stay away from applying for any HSBC cards.

I think Chase services Dell right?

When you tried for the Best Buy CLI was it a HP or SP?

Message 7 of 8
RyVision
Valued Contributor

My BB store card still shows that it's handled by HSBC.  I requested (via the luv button) a CLI this month but was declined because I was given a 100$ CLI to 1000$  in Sept. The letter came from HSBC.   It would appear they did not do a HP for either request.

I am  hoping I can get another CLI from them before they switch over to CAP 1.  At that point, I will no longer request CLI's for that card (I rather not risk a possible hat trick style INQ, esp for no CLI).

I have also read that the switch will occur most likely around april or may.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.