Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Card

tag
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Best Buy Card

We're looking into puchasing a few things for our new place, and were looking into Best buy because of the 0% for 24 months. I used to have the Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard (issued by HSBC) that never got a CLI, so I closed it probably in the 4th quarter of last year. My credit has improved since I initially app'd for my old BB card so being approved shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think. Once upon a time I believe the store card and the mastercard were offered by two different creditors, but it seems like both are being offered by Capital One; is this correct?

I already have two cards with Capital One so I'm hesitant to open anything with them, as I never get CLI's on either of them and I would be worried about my initial CL.

What has been people's experience with the BB store card? If you have other cards with capital one have they been more generous with your store card than your other general Capital One backed cards?

I know I can get another 0% offer at a local appliance store for about 2-3 years, but if we went with Best Buy we also would be able to take advantage of an employee discount on top of having 0% for 2 years so it's definitely the more cost efficient way to go. But don't want to risk it if they don't give a good initial CL to cover the cost of what we're trying to buy and then just end up with a hard pull for no reason. And I'm assuming since it's Capital One they're gonna pull all 3!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Re: Best Buy Card

Bump...

Anyone?
Message 2 of 17
Dustink
Valued Contributor

My experience with the best buy store card hasn't been too bad. Last time I called in, it still seemed like it was a separate (better) department than the regular crap1 service. They gave me a good starting limit and CLI's.

It may not be the standard triple pull, not sure.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 17
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Even when Cap 1 isssues this card, it works kinda different... First they usually pull Equifax only.. My mom requested this card a few months ago, her FICO score was around 680 and yet they approved her for $2000. (The App was done in the store) Two months later she requested a CLI on the BB website (theres a bottom to request CLI) they only asked for her income and gave her $1,500 more (the best part of this she got that CLI with a SP) so she now has $3500
Message 4 of 17
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

I have tried to get this card in the past and have been denied both times. First time was back in March 2012 and listed a bunch of reasons why they couldnt approve (should have known better). Then i applied October and this time the reason for denial was because number of inquiries. That was my last inquiry on EQ (who they pulled). Dont know if they will approve me now because i have been itching to buy a 3D TV and Ipad....Smiley Happy Also like there no interest promos. Most likely will not burn a HP for a card that wouldnt use much.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 5 of 17
danielodonoll
New Contributor

@JustJen wrote:

We're looking into puchasing a few things for our new place, and were looking into Best buy because of the 0% for 24 months. I used to have the Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard (issued by HSBC) that never got a CLI, so I closed it probably in the 4th quarter of last year. My credit has improved since I initially app'd for my old BB card so being approved shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think. Once upon a time I believe the store card and the mastercard were offered by two different creditors, but it seems like both are being offered by Capital One; is this correct?

I already have two cards with Capital One so I'm hesitant to open anything with them, as I never get CLI's on either of them and I would be worried about my initial CL.

What has been people's experience with the BB store card? If you have other cards with capital one have they been more generous with your store card than your other general Capital One backed cards?

I know I can get another 0% offer at a local appliance store for about 2-3 years, but if we went with Best Buy we also would be able to take advantage of an employee discount on top of having 0% for 2 years so it's definitely the more cost efficient way to go. But don't want to risk it if they don't give a good initial CL to cover the cost of what we're trying to buy and then just end up with a hard pull for no reason. And I'm assuming since it's Capital One they're gonna pull all 3!

I am sorry to say this but bestbuy is backd by Capitalone and at this point is a 50/50 chance with them. Capitalone is good for rebuilding but as far as prime i wish i could agree with them.Good luck though hope everything goes good

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 6 of 17
JustJen
Regular Contributor

Yea....I don't know if it's worth it as we are looking to buy within the next month, wouldn't really be anytime to let the account age to try and get a CLI.

Hopefully more people will comment on their experience before I make a decision.
Message 7 of 17
danielodonoll
New Contributor

Go for it though.A single inq will not hurt your score at all.I would if i were you

Citi Bank X2/ 29k-USAA Amex/Mastercard 24k-PP Mastercard 20k_
WMDiscover 20k-PenFed X2/15k
Current Fico/EQ-765
Garden Time Day- 10
Remaining Days-170
Message 8 of 17
angelcred10
Regular Contributor

If you have access to an employee discount, why WOULDN'T you do this?

The new TVs are already coming out, and you'll get services cheap as well with geek squad!

First off shame on that employee for not talking you into it better lol

Honestly, in-store they can call the bank to see about a CLI and as I've said on a few of these topics, almost always gets approved!

Granted it may or may not be approved because of the time in your case, you could try.

I also think the card gives plenty of benefits in the 4% cash back in Rewards if you PIF a month or even 2% in Reward Zone for the 24 mo/ 0% APR

It's not even an introductory thing it will ALWAYS have some sort of 0% option above $149.99

Starting Score: 635 Current Score: 659 Discover Pull
Goal Score:720s
Tried to use Images but it was all Wibbly, Wobbly, and Timey-Wimey.
Message 9 of 17
kwinks
Regular Contributor

I would skeptical of a card that has changed who is backed by like 3 or 4 times. It is being bought out by Citigroup so it won't be backed by capital one for long. I don't think this company is going to last too much longer. Something is obviously wrong if it keeps getting handed over to another ccc.

Just my two cents. You can do as you please Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.