Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Card

tag
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Best Buy Card

Hey guys,

I got the Best Buy Credit Card (store version) in May of 2014 with a $2000 CL.  Is it possible to get this upgraded to the MC version?  If so, how do I do that?  How long should I wait?  Is it a HP?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best Buy Card

@manwoot wrote:

Hey guys,

I got the Best Buy Credit Card (store version) in May of 2014 with a $2000 CL.  Is it possible to get this upgraded to the MC version?  If so, how do I do that?  How long should I wait?  Is it a HP?

Thanks!

I have not heard to much about this because before Citi took it over the MC was considered the counter offer to not approved store cards and then Citi took it over and seemed to switch it to the MC being the premier card... so because of this I have only heard about some getting offers online to upgrade to MC not requesting.

I don't know that I would trust calling in so I would probably try first sending a secure message online saying you were interested in converting your store card over to the mastercard and see what they say... if they do need hp or things like that they have always been good with me at least writing back telling me they can prcoess request but they need permission to do hp, etc.

Message 2 of 11
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Seems like CITI has four BB cards.  A "good" MC version and a "good" store version, both AF free.  There's also the "not to good" MC and store card with $59 annual fee's.  I asked about an "upgrade" to the MC and the CSR said it would be a "downgrade".  Not sure what that means exactly.  I like the store card because I only use it at BB anyway. 

Message 3 of 11
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone have a phone number?

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 4 of 11
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

Does anyone have a phone number?

Check the Backdoor numbers thread it should be there 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 5 of 11
Suddenlyy
New Contributor

they have been upgrading some of their store card holders to the platinum MC the last couple months. there is no way to opt in to that unless specifically selected by their algorithms though.

Message 6 of 11
Tony275
Valued Contributor

I have both, and back when I worked there they were not backed by Citi yet. I only have a measly $100 limit on my "myBestBuy MC" (it was an employee accommodation deal when I worked there, I was 18 when I got it and wanted to start my credit) and I can't get it to go up for the life of me, hopefully after a successful year in the garden I can get some love, or even move my store card CL ($9,000).

When I worked there, depending on which card you were applying for (store card for financing options, or MC for points no matter where you shop) if you were denied for the first card, they would urge us to get you to apply for the other card. Beyond that, I can't vouch for anything!! Citi has VERY good CSRs, so I would definitely give them a call and ask if a PC is an option!

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@manwoot wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

I have not heard to much about this because before Citi took it over the MC was considered the counter offer to not approved store cards and then Citi took it over and seemed to switch it to the MC being the premier card... so because of this I have only heard about some getting offers online to upgrade to MC not requesting.

I don't know that I would trust calling in so I would probably try first sending a secure message online saying you were interested in converting your store card over to the mastercard and see what they say... if they do need hp or things like that they have always been good with me at least writing back telling me they can prcoess request but they need permission to do hp, etc.

Random and totally off topic but saw your sig... I'm also a Navy Fed customer lol.  nRewards worth dumping for Signature ?

Message 8 of 11
reneasworld
Regular Contributor

I have been an authorized user for years on a BB card. I was wondering about applying for my own. I don't know if I should with my scores. I would love to apply for that and the Discover IT, even though I am older I am in school and I heard they have a great card for students.

Starting Scores (5/2014): EQ 569, TU 601, EX 589
Current Scores (07/08/2015): EQ 640, TU 640, EX 654
Goal (12/2015): 700 across the board
Message 9 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@manwoot wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Random and totally off topic but saw your sig... I'm also a Navy Fed customer lol.  nRewards worth dumping for Signature ?

I don't really see what the point of signature is, with navy especially since they don't let you charge over CL or anyhting... isn't it more in travel insurance and stuff on the backend that you hope to not need?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.