cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Credit Card or Macy's Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy Credit Card or Macy's Credit Card?

I only have one credit card right now, it's a Platinum Hello Kitty Smiley Happy Credit Card. I want to open a store card b/c I've read that a good variety is good. Which card will be easier to get b/c I was late on a couple of payments :/

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Buy Credit Card or Macy's Credit Card?

I suggest you apply in person with a purchase.  It seems to help. 

I think you should only apply for store cards if you are a regular customer.    If so, why not get both?

Message 2 of 7
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Macy's no longer reports CL's on any of the 3 CR's..So having that card won't factor into your overall utilization, just thought I'd share.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 14,

Having a store card won't  help your "mix."  Mix refers to a mix of installment and revolving accounts.

But there are other benefits to store cards.  They're sometimes easier to get approved for, sometimes have great perks and higher CL's, and often are held long-term so they can benefi your AAofA.

FICO doesn't care if you have a store card, but they do care if you have at least one bank card/national cc.  It's FICO code #3 "Too few bank revolving accounts".  You only need one to keep the FICO gods happy.

If you feel a need to have another card (it's nice but not necessary for your FICO score), look at a bank card.  If your Hello Kitty card is a bank card (I'm not familiar with it), check into some nice CU cards.  They'll both serve you well.

I have a Macy's and their current reporting practices make me less than happy.  They serve me well because of the great discounts and CL.  However, since they don't report CL's, the increased CL is less than ideal for me.

Message 4 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Best Buy is a tough store card to get. It's very unusual in that it's harder to qualify for the store card than for the MC.

Have you checked out local credit unions? A CU card is a much better way to expand your credit profile, IMO.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

better apply cc from Credit union, easier and more limit

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.