Did you mean: 

Best Buy Gold Reward Zone MasterCard?

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Best Buy Gold Reward Zone MasterCard?

I wanted to get a BB store card, because our iPod died today Smiley Sad

This is the message that I got instead:

Regrettably, we are unable to offer you a Best Buy Credit Card at this time. However, you are approved for a Gold Reward Zone® program MasterCard® that enables you to earn 4% on Best Buy purchases and up to 2% on qualifying purchases made at over 26 million locations worldwide. The Gold Reward Zone® program MasterCard® does not offer two benefits of the Best Buy Credit Card: the ability to use it for your purchases today and extended financing.

I didn't know there was a "Gold" BB MC!  Does anyone know anything about this?

They gave me a month to think about it & either accept or decline.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy Gold Reward Zone MasterCard?

DH has "gold" while I have "platinum". His has AF and low CL, while mine has no AF and the CL is quite a bit higher. I really don't know if this is a tier of theirs, but perhaps so.

Does it state the limit and if it has an AF?

Message 2 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

it didn't state the limit, which makes me sad, but it said it had an AF of $59.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

DH's also has the $59 AF. It started with $410 (weird amount) and has received small auto increases here and there over the last year and a half. He doesn't call and pester them like I do though. Smiley Tongue
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do yourself a favor and save the inquiry. The card will not grow with you. I asked for a $500 CLI and the CSR laughed at me.
Message 5 of 14
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Do yourself a favor and save the inquiry. The card will not grow with you. I asked for a $500 CLI and the CSR laughed at me.

sorry to hear that!  what a crappy attitude for them to take with you!

anyway, i already applied, that's how i found out what kind of card & terms they were offering me.  so now it's just a matter of either taking the card or not.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

i say take the card

you already have the hit so you may as well get something out of it/

the card will have a 300cl to 500 to start then call them back and tell them you dont want the card and you will get a bump in the cl. thats what i did.

make use of the inquiry.

Message 7 of 14
Ryan2151
Valued Member

I guess you need about a 750 score for an actual BB card, otherwise they offer the card you referred to. This card is not affiliated with BB (outside of the Rewards program which sends you coupons for money off after aquiring points, about $1000 for $20 off) and is actually financed by HSBC. Don't look for them to ever offer you or respond to your request for a credit line increase, I'm pretty sure the ceiling is whatever they give you upon application approval. I've used the card for over 2 years and still no increase from the original $500.00 limit. That said, another revolving account with good payment history is not going to hurt you.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just called the number on the back of my card and received a $750 increase.
Message 9 of 14
Ryan2151
Valued Member

I called and had them lower my APR from 18.99 to Prime + 7.15. Not sure what that is at this point, but has to be better than before.

Also, they wanted to pull my scores just for an increase and that's not worth it to me at this point. I don't understand why they would need to pull a report when they have 2 years of payment history with this account on file. Seems like everyone wants to pull your credit for everything these days! Ask me, inquiries affecting scores negatively is something that needs to be re-tooled by the bureaus.

Message Edited by Ryan2151 on 11-11-2008 09:48 AM
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.