cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Gold RewardsZone MasterCard, prequalified.

tag
smc733
Valued Contributor

Best Buy Gold RewardsZone MasterCard, prequalified.

Hi once again everyone,

As you probably know, I'm being overly paranoid about getting a third card to build my credit.  I have an open third slot for a credit card in my wallet that is begging to be filled.  

According to the site, I've been pre-qualified for the card listed in the title.  I shop at BB a LOT (engineering student).  I was denied this card in February, only because I didn't know crap about credit then and I applied for a $1400 laptop (which I just bought with my debit card anyway).  

So should I go for this?  They pulled Equifax for me last time, and I only have 3 inquiries on my equifax

1.  HSBC/Bestbuy - Last time I applied (2/10)

2.  Citicards (2/10)

3.  Citicards (5/10)

Thanks.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy Gold RewardsZone MasterCard, prequalified.

Are you really sure you have done your research on this card? chances are you're gonna regret this decision. Mine is stuck at $100 :-(

Message 2 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Good choice since you shop there.   I would let the wallet keeping begging until September (past 6 months on denial)

Message 3 of 10
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Have your scores changed much since last application? 

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 4 of 10
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I have the "platinum" version BBRZMC. This is my only Department store card and I feel it was a good choice in me apping for this card- I feel that having at least one department/retail store card in addition to bank-issued cards help your credit mix.

My credit limit is $1000.  The issuer is HSBC- they are Canadian so I guess they don't like to extend credit to anyone in Canada or something...

I like this card- the biggest purchase I have made on it was for something like $45 in one month that I PIF.  I only use it for small items like DVD's and inexpensive electronics.

What I don't like is the APR- I don't understand how they expect me to buy something on installments at the high APR they have set on this card.  But I think Department and Retail store cards in general have high APR's.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 5 of 10
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

Good choice since you shop there.   I would let the wallet keeping begging until September (past 6 months on denial)

Thanks everyone for your help on the input.  And Wolf3, I've noticed you've given me sound advice in all of the threads I've posted.  Let me ask you this, is the AF for a charge card that doesn't help util on the credit report worth it?

The more I'm thinking, I'm feeling a Discover Student Card might be a better "Alternative" network to go for in November, seeing as there's no AF (which I'll never match in rewards), and it will help build my CR even further than a non-credit Amex.  The Cash Back options on Discover are also much more attractive.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 6 of 10
jausanka
Frequent Contributor

@blacklotus wrote:

I have the "platinum" version BBRZMC. This is my only Department store card and I feel it was a good choice in me apping for this card- I feel that having at least one department/retail store card in addition to bank-issued cards help your credit mix.

My credit limit is $1000.  The issuer is HSBC- they are Canadian so I guess they don't like to extend credit to anyone in Canada or something...

I like this card- the biggest purchase I have made on it was for something like $45 in one month that I PIF.  I only use it for small items like DVD's and inexpensive electronics.

What I don't like is the APR- I don't understand how they expect me to buy something on installments at the high APR they have set on this card.  But I think Department and Retail store cards in general have high APR's.

Hi lotus,

If your card is the Mastercard issued by HSBC, it is a credit card, not a store card.  You can use it anywhere.  Store/department cards are issued solely for credit within a particular store or chain (i.e. the Best Buy non MC, a Macy's card, a Shell gas card, etc)

Message 7 of 10
cascade159
New Contributor

I applied for the RewardsZone MC about two months ago and was approved for $500. My EQ at the time was around 660. It's great if you shop at BB and want to earn reward points.

EQ: 680, TU 665, EX 615 (FAKO)
Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sounds like you were declined for the Store card, which seems to be pretty prime, the Mastercard version is not very prime in my eyes unless you get platinum.

If you have been pre-approved Gold, chances are you are going to get it unless you still owe HSBC on a different account in bad standing.

If you can get Discover to give you a card, I would much rather them, but for building credit the Best Buy MC is a good option.

How about Capital One too?

Message 9 of 10
O-day
New Contributor

just think it over, i kinda regret getting this card man. i am stuck at 300 and its been almost a year. plus theres a 59 AF but i got them to waive half of it.  they are really crappy, but i have to tell u i use it for gas it i did get 20 dollars worth of gift certificates. if u do get it PIF every month because you dont want that craxy apr

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.