Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy (HSBC) Rate Jack

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy (HSBC) Rate Jack

I don't owe HSBC a dime.

Anyway, I didn't really think they rate jacked me because I canceled my Orchard card. I was just picking on them. I canceled Orchard months ago.

Keep in mind folks, Best Buy is absolutely the highest dollar you can possible pay for any electronics.

Message 21 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind folks, Best Buy is absolutely the highest dollar you can possible pay for any electronics.

not all the time!  you can still get some good deals there, just like anywhere else.

maybe not as good as you might find at some online-only retailers, but not everyone will buy really expensive things that way.  i know i won't.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

not all the time!  you can still get some good deals there, just like anywhere else.

maybe not as good as you might find at some online-only retailers, but not everyone will buy really expensive things that way.  i know i won't.

Plus they do price match.  I've lots of times found things in the Circuit City ad that wasn't available in their store and got it at Best Buy for the same price, and got my rewards points for it, too!  I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother trying Circuit City first, because they never have the things I want.  

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK OK. Circuit City and Best Buy dollar for dollar are twins for sticking it to the public. If you don't mind, why wouldn't you order something on line if you could get it for 40% cheaper, especially high ticket items. I've shopped that way since .com became a catch phrase.

Example: The very highly rated Panasonic TH 50PZ85U 50 inch Plasma TV.

$2399.00 at Best Buy
  $185.92 tax

$165.00 delivered to second floor

$2749.92

$1749.00 at Beach Camera. No tax. Delivered to my house for not. $1000 saved folks. (no interest either)

NEVER pay retail for electronics. Ever. Afterall, isn't the root of what we are all doing to save a buck?

Message 24 of 29
laz98
Senior Contributor

first of all, i don't need a 50 inch plasma screen tv.  Smiley Wink

2nd, i'm not sure that it would get to me in one piece, & it's not worth the stress to me, to save some money.  i don't buy anything that expensive ANYWHERE.  i just don't need it.  i do buy other things online, including slightly costly items like digital cameras.  but i would absolutely not buy a big screen tv online, & pray that it gets to me intact.  i have enough trouble just trying to get the USPS to deliver my mail (the post office near us is actually being investigated for stealing people's packages, including a purchase i made from new york & company).

if it makes you feel better, i did buy my laptop online from hp.  but you'll probably say i paid too much!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn't picking on anybody but the fact is the TV I bought on-line came off the same boat and traveled the same route the same TV at Best Buy traveled and the $1000 I saved paid for that Lap Top and the digital camera. Just a thought.
Message 26 of 29
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Hmm... I just got an e-mail from HSBC on my BB card that offered (well, used to) 0% interest for 90 days:

GRACE PERIOD FOR REPAYMENT OF BALANCE: No finance charges are assessed on new purchases if the balance is paid in full each month within 23 days after the billing date.

The new terms will apply to all new and existing balances unless you notify us in writing that you do not accept this change. We must receive your notice by January 27, 2009. You must include your name, address and account number and mail it to PO Box 17112 Wilmington, DE 19850-7112. Upon our receipt of your notification, your Account will be closed to future purchases.

---

It looks like they're switching the 0% interest for 90 days offer to become a regulary monthly finance charge card.  One of my 0% promotional purchase rate ends in February, but it looks like I better get it PIF before this change.   Guess I won't be using Best Buy's card anymore.  The actual interest rate on my card (after the 0% promotion) is insane!

Another thing I dislike about HSBC - is that they charge $15 to make an "express payment" online when many other cc's even offer posting online payments day of for FREE. 

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 29
granny031350
Established Contributor

I received the same notice.  So basically if my zero percent charges are not paid in full by Jan 09, then I will be paying 24.?? percent interest on them.  Guess I need to rearrange which card I pay the most on this month. 
Message 28 of 29
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@hyprble wrote:

It looks like they're switching the 0% interest for 90 days offer to become a regulary monthly finance charge card.  One of my 0% promotional purchase rate ends in February, but it looks like I better get it PIF before this change.   Guess I won't be using Best Buy's card anymore.  The actual interest rate on my card (after the 0% promotion) is insane!

I would not assume this unless you have made a telephone call to them and they told you so. It would be very unusual for that to be the case. In fact it might even be a breach of contract unless you have defaulted on the card.

@hyprble wrote:

Another thing I dislike about HSBC - is that they charge $15 to make an "express payment" online when many other cc's even offer posting online payments day of for FREE. 

Some do and some don't. Some CC issuers charge a fee for all online payments. Some charge a fee for same day posting of your payment (HSBC and WaMu/Providian come to mind). Others let you pay and post the same day without charge (BofA/Discover). I don't know why they do this - greed most likely - and I don't think it is very nice. But it is what it is and HSBC does allow you to schedule a payment now, which they never used to do. So you don't have to actually make the payment a day earlier, you just have to schedule it the day before you want it to be posted. Once you know this to be the case it should not present a problem.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.