Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Mastercard ......? hard to get

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Best Buy Mastercard ......? hard to get

I'm in the garden right now until June........looking over the fence @ the Best Buy Mastercard.  This is backed by Citi, haven't had any success with citi in the past with there regular CC......denied for too many inquiries.....am I likely to get denied for the Best Buy Mastercard also.  Eq 665. TU 740, Exp 729

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Re: Best Buy Mastercard ......? hard to get

@ecxpa wrote:

@I'm in the garden right now until June........looking over the fence @ the Best Buy Mastercard.  This is backed by Citi, haven't had any success with citi in the past with there regular CC......denied for too many inquiries.....am I likely to get denied for the Best Buy Mastercard also.  Eq 665. TU 740, Exp 729

I'm not 100% certain about the BBMC because I've not dealt with approvals on that one before. But I can say that nearly all creditors are inquiry sensitive to a certain point so if you have tons of them, then chances are you would be denied.  Of course there are always other factors that combine with that like current reported utilization, baddies, 60/90/120 lates, income, AAoA and also the number of open credit cards and total useable credit lines available. All that stuff and more can factor into an approval or denial.

How does the rest of your profile look?  Also how many inquiries are we talking about?

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 2 of 8
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Tons  of inquiries, all baddies over 3 years old, lots of new credit over the past year.   Been rebuilding  over the past year.  150k salary......latest cc was 3k Amazon Visa and 1.5k Discover CLI this month.  Citi just eludes me.

Message 3 of 8
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

Tons  of inquiries, all baddies over 3 years old, lots of new credit over the past year.   Been rebuilding  over the past year.  150k salary......latest cc was 3k Amazon Visa and 1.5k Discover CLI this month.  Citi just eludes me.

IMHO, if I were you, I would sit in the garden for a year and let those new accounts and baddies age some more before applying for anything else. You seem to have some decent cards already, so don't let yourself get caught up in the "game" of winning the approval, I'm affraid you would only be adding inquiries and hits to the ego at this point.  I say all this as a myFICO friend. Smiley Happy  Of course YMMV at any point and time, just my opinion.

If you are still in the process of rebuilding, then you are doing a great job, just remember credit building takes time and patience to reap the most rewards! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 8
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

You're probably right ........don't really need it.  Just was in the store today and tempted but I didn't apply.   I think Citi is ultra sensitive to inquiries too.

Message 5 of 8
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

You're probably right ........don't really need it.  Just was in the store today and tempted but I didn't apply.   I think Citi is ultra sensitive to inquiries too.

Yah I hear ya...The best remedy for this is to garden for a while and work on those baddies, let the inquiries age and then walk up and tell Citi you're taking a credit card and you can name your own limit! Cos your credit profile will rule!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Pretty easy that's why they have so many levels of cards.

Message 7 of 8
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@BrokaToe wrote:

IMHO, if I were you, I would sit in the garden for a year and let those new accounts and baddies age some more before applying for anything else. You seem to have some decent cards already, so don't let yourself get caught up in the "game" of winning the approval, I'm affraid you would only be adding inquiries and hits to the ego at this point.  I say all this as a myFICO friend. Smiley Happy  Of course YMMV at any point and time, just my opinion.

If you are still in the process of rebuilding, then you are doing a great job, just remember credit building takes time and patience to reap the most rewards! Smiley Very Happy

A very good opinion.  That's exactly what I'm doing.  I got a rewards card with a nice limit in December... and that was it for cards.  I have enough.  Now it's time to sit back watch the scores go up...

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.