Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Mastercard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy Mastercard

I'm looking to have a better variety of credit in my report. I have a Best Buy Mastercard, is that considered a store card? If not, which is a good card to add to my mix? And will I need to a gas card as well?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Buy Mastercard

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking to have a better variety of credit in my report. I have a Best Buy Mastercard, is that considered a store card? If not, which is a good card to add to my mix? And will I need to a gas card as well?

It's a Mastercard with Best Buy points .  Store cards are ones that you can use only in the stores, like a Yellow Best Buy card...it won't have Visa or Mastercard on it. 

I currently have Macy's, Nordstrom and Wal-Mart store cards.  Macy's and Wal-Mart have some steep interest rates, but I shop at all three places frequently so I like the perks that each card has (no-interest financing at Wal-Mart and coupons at the other 2 places).  

Don't worry about a gas card unless it's something where you can get a certain % or $ off at the pump. 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Best Buy Mastercard

Although we thought for a long time (based on something that used to be on the Education tab above that is no longer there) that store cards would help mix, there's no evidence that this is so.

If all you have are store cards (no logo for Visa/ MC/ Discover/ American Express), then adding a bank card will help your credit mix. But not in reverse.

A store card can be great if you routinely shop at that store, and if you get good rewards from the card. Otherwise, don't get one just for the sake of having one. Smiley Wink

Store and gas cards are scored the same; in other words, they're the same category of card. I think it's technically "retail and oil company."

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.