Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Purchase Over Limit

tag
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Best Buy Purchase Over Limit

Hey all, long time no posts.  I'm closing on my first home purchase next Tuesday, and I'm looking to purchase appliances for it.  I've picked out my items and they total $2400.  My question is my credit limit on my BB card is 2k and I cant take a HP for a limit increase (dont really want to either).  Has anybody made a purchase over the limit in store on their card?  What happens?  Will the deny you at the register (embarassing) or have you try to get an increase?  Just wondering if anybody has an experience with this. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy Purchase Over Limit

Congrats on the new home!

I don't have any experience. But as another option you could always use cash or another CC to make up the difference.
Message 2 of 10
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats on the new home!

I don't have any experience. But as another option you could always use cash or another CC to make up the difference.

Thank you OpenG!

My other option was just putting down $500 cash, but was wondering what happened without that option. 

Message 3 of 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

It will be declined no question. Best thing to do is tell the cashier you're gonna pay for some of it in cash first. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 10
Mike11208
New Contributor

I use to work for best buy they do a hard pull if you call them, and a soft pull if you let the register try to process the transaction first.

Also if you are spending 2400 see if they have open box appliances most of the time its returned due to not fitting and if you add protection they may drop the price a bit. 

Message 5 of 10
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Mike11208 wrote:

I use to work for best buy they do a hard pull if you call them, and a soft pull if you let the register try to process the transaction first.

Also if you are spending 2400 see if they have open box appliances most of the time its returned due to not fitting and if you add protection they may drop the price a bit. 

Thank you Mike, I thought I remembered somebody mentioning this before.  I will also check the open box selection when I go.  Thanks! 

Message 6 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

No such thing as purchase over limit with them. but if you are in the store with the items. the manager of customer service can get you an emergency increase on the spot. up to the purchase of item itself. not over. generally soft pull. but your card will be at 100%

Message 7 of 10
Bpearl2010
Regular Contributor

What Taxi said is true, I've personally use that excuse before.

Credit line was at 2k, went to pay for the items at the register total was 2.8k and the manager called and a soft pull was used to bump me to 2.8k.

Paid the balance offer 25 days later. lol Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Bpearl2010 wrote:

What Taxi said is true, I've personally use that excuse before.

Credit line was at 2k, went to pay for the items at the register total was 2.8k and the manager called and a soft pull was used to bump me to 2.8k.

Paid the balance offer 25 days later. lol Smiley Happy

Might have to give that a try, just didnt want the embarassing denial at the register lol. 

Message 9 of 10
Bpearl2010
Regular Contributor

Make the line at the customer service, not at the front store registers.

Good luck, shouldn't have an issue.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.