Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Put A 8 Day Hold On Payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Buy Put A 8 Day Hold On Payment

I paid my account online using best buys site to make a payment from my checking account have always made a payment from this same account for the past six months. Today I go online an saw that they took the money from my checking account an I looked on best buy site an they have received the payment but it doesn't reflect in my available credit so called them an I was told there is a hold on the payment cause it was the largest payment I have ever made to my best buy account an sometime the system puts a hold on large payments. The payment  was for $469.00

You damned if you do damned if you don't the rep told me mostly they will lift the hold before 8 days has anyone had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy Put A 8 Day Hold On Payment

Ugh sorry for that!  Juniper did that to me once.  I was livid.  It took 8 days for the hold to be removed too...
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ugh sorry for that!  Juniper did that to me once.  I was livid.  It took 8 days for the hold to be removed too...

Yeah the funny this is I just made a payment on my orchard card almost the same amount an it went threw fine HSBC is just full of crap.
Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

To ad to this sometime I think cards want you to be late or not PIF sometime that's how they make there money,
Message Edited by mjbfan79 on 01-28-2009 10:30 AM
Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Orchard did this to me often, Cap1 just held my payment 7 days, really upset me because my payment was like 90% of the limit!  They wont see any usage for awhile now!
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Orchard did this to me often, Cap1 just held my payment 7 days, really upset me because my payment was like 90% of the limit!  They wont see any usage for awhile now!

Yeah my limit is $600 i just paid them $469 an now they wanna pull this lol.
Message 6 of 30
puronku

Hi all,

I believe what you're seeing here is a fraud prevention measure. I've had it happen in the past and it was explained to me that, much like when you spend out of pattern, sometimes when you make large payments, CC's will hold to make sure it's not someone trying to run a scam with your card (i.e. pay with fake account, payment posts, they run up changes, then the payment bounces).

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my best buy card to pay most of my day to day purchases and Bills. I PIF every month and every once in awhile they will hold my payment up. So now I will split the payments up. Right now they are holding $200.
Message 8 of 30
mymoneynow
Regular Contributor

Same thing happened this month to DF. She normally pays online but was having computer issues so she mailed a personal check for the balance on her account, $1642. She checked her account by phone and her payment had not posted. She talked to CSR and was told they had a 7 day hold on her payment to make sure the check cleared her bank and was not returned NSF. Just the mention of NSF totally upset DF, who could buy my entire neighborhood if she wanted, and pay cash!

The funny end to this story, DF and her husband are building a new home with a home theatre, and lots of electronics. They went to HH Gregg and opened a new account and purchased an entire home full of tvs, appliances, the works. Best Buy lost thousands on this situation.  When the bill is received, they play the fico game to keep their scores high- upper 700's.   

Senior Contributor

are you planning on using this card soon?  do you use it for everything?
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.