Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Rejection

tag
Dream850
Established Member

Re: Best Buy Rejection

I applied for a Best Buy store card in Dec 12. Rejected, but approved for the Capital One card with the $59 AF so I didn't complete. Received notice approval was good until Feb 12. Since then FICO increased .. so when I went shopping aat BB, they offered credit, thought I'd get rejected, but went through.. yep the Capital One $59 AF version. ARGH. PLUS 25.99% APR ... that's loan sharking in my opinion. So... I'm thinking pay in full what I charged that day and just close the account immediately. 

Wondering how that will effect my FICO. Any thoughts?

Starting Score: 668
Current Score: 680
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 48
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Score wise, you'll probably go down from the inq, and depending on the limit of the best buy card, higher util may make it drop.
Message 32 of 48
Dream850
Established Member

@jsucool76 wrote:
Score wise, you'll probably go down from the inq, and depending on the limit of the best buy card, higher util may make it drop.

Score dropped back in Dec. from original inquiry, so thinking it just stayed in effect, not pulled again. The CL is $2000, and if PIF don't see why there's be higher util. Please explain that further. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth keeping at all.

Message 33 of 48
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

This is the AF version BBRZMC?

If there's an AF, keep it a yr since you've already taken a hit for the new INQ and TL.

Then

Call them before the next AF hits and ask  them to waive it or they can close the acct.

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 34 of 48
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Just want to make a correction regarding a comment on page 2 by WhiteColler. The Best Buy store card does have both a 2% and 4% back in rewards option.

I was approved 3 weeks ago for the Best Buy Store Card that is on Plan A (which means it is eligible for CLIs) with no AF. My limit is $2500. I just purchased a big ticket item that had 0% APR for 24 months if I chose standard financing. I had an option to choose 4% in rewards back, but then it would reduce my 0% APR period to 6 months or no 0% APR grace period...I can't remember exactly but I chose 2% rewards back so I had 0% APR for longer.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 35 of 48
Dream850
Established Member

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks.

Message 36 of 48
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

And, I have not read of anyone getting approved for the platinum MC, it has always been gold if they were approved for the MC and it came with an AF. Anything with an AF is lower in quality in my mind. So I think the BB store card with no AF is more prestigious than the gold BB MC.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 37 of 48
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
And, I have not read of anyone getting approved for the platinum MC, it has always been gold if they were approved for the MC and it came with an AF. Anything with an AF is lower in quality in my mind. So I think the BB store card with no AF is more prestigious than the gold BB MC.

i like the BB store card and wished i could get approved for it. I tried back in October and got denied for the store card and the gold BB MC. I had just closed the gold MC a month prior so dont know if thats why i even got denied for the lowest tier card. the reason for denial: too many inquires (and thats the only reason it stated).

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 38 of 48
Dream850
Established Member

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
..I can't remember exactly but I chose 2% rewards back so I had 0% APR for longer.

I'm not sure I have this straight.. but I am under the impression that if you take advantage of the 0% for 6,12, 18 (whatever) months at BB they still show your balance on your CR, thereby affecting your UTIL. I opt for the 4% standard and PIF.

Message 39 of 48
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Yes it affects your UTIL but I'm not worried about it as I just bought a house, leased a car, and got approved for two more cards so I'm gardening. I won't stretch out the payments to 24 months but I'm not PIFing either as once I do, I'm obligated to charge something else to keep it open in 6 months and I won't need anything from BB in the next 6 months. I PIF all my other cards monthly.
Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.