Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

tag
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

This is a very bizarre situation that I wasn't going to post but what the hell. But I received a preselected offer in the mail today for the Rewards Zone Card with 0% APR for 12 months and an interest rate lower than the card I was approved online a few weeks ago for (BBRZ platinum MC).  I got on the phone with CCC and explained this situation and yes there was a way to get the card I was solicited in the mail but I would have to cancel my card which I haven't received in the mail yet and reopen another card with the terms spelled out in my preselect offer.  I almost did this except that the preselect offer for 0% APR for 12 months and lower APR has an annual fee of $39.  I only plan on using this card for PIF purchases so I did not want to go through the CSR recommendation which is to close out the card I haven't even received in the mail yet and reopen another card with the preselect terms.  When I talked to CSR I asked her why my BBRZ Platinum card had a higher APR than the mail solicitation which having an AF probably means its a standard or gold version and she replied it depends on the offer at the time. 

CSR did say when I receive my card I could call to have my APR lowered.  I didn't even know the APR on the card I got until I talked to CSR and I asked her why my platinum card had a higher APR than a card with AF!  I asked her that wasn't the platinum card supposed to be a better card?

I'll bite this one because I still think its a decent card for a department/retail card and this is my only department store retail card but I'm beginning to remember what interest rates department/retail store cards have and why I hate them- I think the card I am approved for is 17 point something PLUS PRIME- who in their right mind would not PIF this card??? Who in their right mind would actually carry a balance- even with the reward points the APR kind of cancels that out if you ask me.  IMHO ONLY.

EDIT:  I can't imagine carrying a bunch of department/retails store cards- what if you have to carry a balance for some reason???  Holy cow- I guess its been too long since I've had one but with those kind of APR's I hope the CCC don't expect their customers to actually buy something that they would have to pay off over time.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 51 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow, it says I am approved! This is my first card ever so I am pretty happy lol. It only has a $100 limit though...

Message 52 of 112
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

You say you were offered a secured BBRZMC previously?  I did not know that was an option.   I can't find any reference on applications site?

Message 53 of 112
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Wolf if that was directed my way yes but not secured I was offered a BBRZ MC Platinum version I don't think they offer a secured version of this card just one with a miniscule CL- I have posted the details further back in this thread.  If you are curious about how to get "preapproved" which by the way doesn't guarantee you'll get the card just that you have a slightly better chance go to the message in this thread with the link and it will show you what card you are "preapproved" for and you can app online.

Message 54 of 112
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Question was for Amleigh who said in original post. 

I used the pre approval link for the Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard, and I was prequalified for the Gold Card with no annual fee (The no annual fee part really surprised me since I always have to pay an annual fee! I tried this link about a month ago and was only offered the secured card

Message 55 of 112
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

OK.  I'd say if you really want this card go ahead and see what card you're preapproved for and just app.  This isn't like apping for AMEX or something!  Just a suggestion but make your decision by yourself.  IMHO

OH BTW Justwill- Congrats on getting it (your first card)- remember to treat your first card like you just got an AMEX Black Card!

Message 56 of 112
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Blacklotus

I just got a HSBC secured MC.    So I may consider  this card after my time in the penalty box.   

I had never heard of a co-branded secured card, so I think Amleigh was mistaken when they said they were offered such a thing.

Message 57 of 112
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I agree with you.  It would be a crying shame on the CCC if they offered a secured card with a $100 CL $39 AF wouldn't it? 

But yeah I don't think there's a such thing.  

Why don't you see which you're preapproved for- its a soft hit that won't affect your Fico?  You don't have to app.

Message 58 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe there used to be a secured Best Buy card as well. If you search the archives you will see that people had them or we're pre-approved for them if their credit wasn't good enough. I think they got rid of the secured cards and now just offer you that 100 limit card since there is less risk for them to give you a chance. I mean you figure most people getting approved for this will treat it like a black amex card anyway since we're trying to repair our credit, lol. We can't even splurge with it since it only has a 100 limit! Smiley Happy

Message 59 of 112
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

UPDATE: Still no card.  But as per my previous post I received a cardboard "look-alike" without my name on it for a better APR than the card I was actually approved for yesterday- only problem being in order to activate it I would have to close the card I haven't received yet.

Well today I received a nice big envelope for "Account Shield Plus" with some very convoluted language in both English and Spanish that I saved because I guess I basically need to cancel this "service" during my two month trial period or pay a "fee" of which is not disclosed to me- maybe I didn't read far enough.  But basically for $1.39 per $100 I can cancel 10% of an "eligible balance" if something "bad" happens to me.  Bad meaning I die or, heavens forbid, become unemployed- (didn't mention anything about underemployment though?).  BTW anyone have thoughts on this- is it worth it?

Anyways I can tell right off the bat that HSBC is very environmentally friendly as the disclosure was "printed on recycled paper".  I'm not sure how environmentally friendly Best Buy is though...

Message 60 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.