Reply
Established Contributor
Posts: 618
Registered: ‎01-04-2009
0

Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

I wouldn't otherwise consider this card, but due to a partnership with Best Buy we're able to get the card with a built-in employee discount.  Via the portal provided, there's a pre-qual site and I qualified for both a secured Reward Zone card and their gold.  The gold has around 75 in annual fees, the secured was 20-25, I believe.  Of course knowing HSBC I wouldn't exactly trust approval being guaranteed for the gold, and I'm pretty weary of the large AF anyway. 

 

My question is has anyone used the secured RZ MC and does it graduate or go partially secured? 

 

Also, since they don't list all the variants of RZ cards available, only the ones pre-qualed, are there RZ cards that don't have any AF?

                    
    $17.3K          $500              $7K              $15K              $5K             $2300          $3200          $2000          $1500          $1000           $8100

Garden Since: 9.25.2013
Regular Contributor
Posts: 181
Registered: ‎08-13-2008
0

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

The RZ MC is what they try to give rejects like me who got declined for the real bestbuy card. There really is no point in having that RZ MC unless you need to build your credit because it doesn't give you financing at bestbuy like the store card though the store card these days is garbage also unless you doing a no interest financing as they stopped the 90 day same as cash purchase on the store card.

 

 When I was offered the POS RZ MC it came with a fee I think of around $59 with a CL of $300. Needless to say I declined that offer then was offered a $450 CL and a $29 AF which I also refused. I do hear that some cards have no AF but really, the bestbuy mastercard is useless unless you need the tradline.

 

Paying $75 AF on a $300 CL card is just silly to me and I would get the secure card and after your credit build just apply for better cards.


Starting Score: 8/2008 521
Current Score: 734
Highest Ever: 4/2009 759
Goal Score: 760+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎01-28-2009
0

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

I have the RZMC with, I've been told you can graduate off of the secured card.

 


vonMannstein wrote:

I wouldn't otherwise consider this card, but due to a partnership with Best Buy we're able to get the card with a built-in employee discount.  Via the portal provided, there's a pre-qual site and I qualified for both a secured Reward Zone card and their gold.  The gold has around 75 in annual fees, the secured was 20-25, I believe.  Of course knowing HSBC I wouldn't exactly trust approval being guaranteed for the gold, and I'm pretty weary of the large AF anyway. 

 

My question is has anyone used the secured RZ MC and does it graduate or go partially secured? 

 

Also, since they don't list all the variants of RZ cards available, only the ones pre-qualed, are there RZ cards that don't have any AF?


Also there is only one card that has a fee and the fee is 59 bucks.

 

Also RZMC isn't only for people who get rejected from the BBY store card.  I'm an employee with BBY and I do financing and that's not always the case.

 

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Established Contributor
Posts: 618
Registered: ‎01-04-2009
0

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

[ Edited ]

I checked around and I guess there are 4 different Reward Zone Best Buy Cards:

 

Platinum - no AF and best rates

Gold - no AF and semi-high rates

Gold - AF and higher rates

Secured - AF and deposit required

 

stoopidmunkee -

 

How long did it take to graduate?  What was your secured limit and what did they increase it to upon graduation?  Do you still have the annual fee?

Message Edited by vonMannstein on 02-26-2009 05:37 PM
                    
    $17.3K          $500              $7K              $15K              $5K             $2300          $3200          $2000          $1500          $1000           $8100

Garden Since: 9.25.2013
Regular Contributor
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎01-28-2009

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard


vonMannstein wrote:

I checked around and I guess there are 4 different Reward Zone Best Buy Cards:

 

Platinum - no AF and best rates

Gold - no AF and semi-high rates

Gold - AF and higher rates

Secured - AF and deposit required

 

stoopidmunkee -

 

How long did it take to graduate?  What was your secured limit and what did they increase it to upon graduation?  Do you still have the annual fee?

Message Edited by vonMannstein on 02-26-2009 05:37 PM

Yea there are levels of the RZMC.  Actually I'm still on the secured I just got it a few months ago.  I've been told by CRS from their helpdesk and also employees that they will graduate you off after a year or nine months.  So I'm still waiting.  Right now I'm still at 200 bucks, that's all I could afford to do with out at one time.  I plan on depositing more soon.  If I find out moe information about the whole graduation process I'll tell you about it.

 

Plus the secured RZMC is for employees only not the general public as far as I know.

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Established Contributor
Posts: 618
Registered: ‎01-04-2009
0

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

Thanks again for the info.  Honestly it does sound like a pretty good secured builder card in that case.  The rewards aren't too shabby either:

 

Purchases at Best Buy = 2 Pts / 4% Cashback

Dining/Groceries = 1 Pt / 2% Cashback

Everything Else = .5 Pt / 1% Cashback

                    
    $17.3K          $500              $7K              $15K              $5K             $2300          $3200          $2000          $1500          $1000           $8100

Garden Since: 9.25.2013
Regular Contributor
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎01-28-2009
0

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

Yea, the card isn't that bad.  I have it set up that my bank account makes two payments a month on it and I use it every so often.  I try and avoid having to much charged on it that way.  I haven't missed a payment yet.
CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Established Contributor
Posts: 618
Registered: ‎01-04-2009
0

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

Sheesh, I guess if you spend >$2500/year (208/mo) you're also eligible for their premier silver program.  +50% reward bonus for MC members, so effectively 6% cashback on BBY purchases, 3% on grocery & dining/1.5% on other.  Even if I never shopped at BBY, that's pretty hard to beat for a secured card.

                    
    $17.3K          $500              $7K              $15K              $5K             $2300          $3200          $2000          $1500          $1000           $8100

Garden Since: 9.25.2013
Regular Contributor
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎01-28-2009
0

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard


vonMannstein wrote:

Sheesh, I guess if you spend >$2500/year (208/mo) you're also eligible for their premier silver program.  +50% reward bonus for MC members, so effectively 6% cashback on BBY purchases, 3% on grocery & dining/1.5% on other.  Even if I never shopped at BBY, that's pretty hard to beat for a secured card.


Yes, they have a pretty good offer, especially since it's a secured card.  I don't know of anything secured cards have give any types of rewards.

CITI - $3500 - CAP1 - $750 - RZMC - $600 - BOA - $600 - CAP2 -$500 - Credit Union $500

TU: 707 (From Wal-Mart's website) * Finally made the 700 club!!!!!!!*
Established Member
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎09-03-2009
0

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

Secured RZMC is NOT only for employees. I'm not an BB employee but I did the RZMC pre-approval deal online and it offered me the secured card. I didn't apply, but it showed I was pre-approved for it. This may be the card I look at when I get my secured card in the next couple of months. the rewards are awesome that's for sure, better than most secured cards I've seen. 
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.