Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

tag
tono

Re: Best Buy Reward Zone Mastercard

Thanks TRAY,
Great advise, I'll give it a try today, hopefully I'll get no AF and a decent CL (1,000+). That's what I'm looking forward to the most!

I love the card, I love the rewards.

My Accts Averg. Age is .9 yrs ...my oldest is a Cap1 1.8 years ...which is stuck at 500CL. My Macy's & AMEX are 1,200 CL

If I get this PLATINUM, I'll kill the GOLD, and probably the CAP1 a year after.

I'll post later today with the news Smiley Happy

Current Score (3/31/10): EX:721 | EQ:735 | TU:744
Message 81 of 112
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

@Lel wrote:

@Pushto700 wrote:

Is it common that your cash advance amount is a limit below the credit limit? This is just strange. My wife was approved for one yerserday, I set teh account up and there is an indicator of the "cash limit" and "cash available" are both at $125.00 for a $500.00 limit. That seems just odd.  

This is the case with all my credit cards.

IMHO I always thought cash advances on credit cards were seen in a negative light by the card issuers.  That's why I carry my debit card for cash- I also get cash back when I shop with my debit card from the cashier so I don't have to pay an ATM fee.  Can anyone shed light on this?  Not that I would pay the ridiculous interest it costs to obtain a cash advance on a credit card- but does the card issuer see this in a negative light?

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 82 of 112
tono

OK so I just applied for my second RZ MC

I was offered the PLATINUM WITH NO AF on the pre-approval page.

I decided to go ahead and My application is on review. I will receive an e-mail in 10-14 days. (probably because I already have one?)

What was you experience MaineMedic? or anyone else with this?

Current Score (3/31/10): EX:721 | EQ:735 | TU:744
Message 83 of 112
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

@tono wrote:

OK so I just applied for my second RZ MC

I was offered the PLATINUM WITH NO AF on the pre-approval page.

I decided to go ahead and My application is on review. I will receive an e-mail in 10-14 days. (probably because I already have one?)

What was you experience MaineMedic? or anyone else with this?

I got the same message (see my previous posts in this thread).  Go to HSBC Cards website on the (right) of the page there's a link that will tell you the status of your app.  I don't think you'll have a problem with your app. because of your Fico's.

EDIT:  If those scores are not Fico I'd recommend you get actual Fico's- I'm not plugging any one site because I pull them from different sites also for comparative purposes but most users here are comparing actual Fico's not Fako's when comparing scores during credit card app. process!

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 84 of 112
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I app'd I got the review message too, just checked status and was approved for 5k CL.   Not sure which card I got, if there is more than one. 

Message 85 of 112
Pushto700
Frequent Contributor

@blacklotus wrote:

@Lel wrote:

@Pushto700 wrote:

Is it common that your cash advance amount is a limit below the credit limit? This is just strange. My wife was approved for one yerserday, I set teh account up and there is an indicator of the "cash limit" and "cash available" are both at $125.00 for a $500.00 limit. That seems just odd.  

This is the case with all my credit cards.

IMHO I always thought cash advances on credit cards were seen in a negative light by the card issuers.  That's why I carry my debit card for cash- I also get cash back when I shop with my debit card from the cashier so I don't have to pay an ATM fee.  Can anyone shed light on this?  Not that I would pay the ridiculous interest it costs to obtain a cash advance on a credit card- but does the card issuer see this in a negative light?

Yes and No. In general it's what you do before the bill breaks (as I pay any and all purchases/advances just before it breaks, or carry a very small balance). Advances accrue interest from the point of the advance, purchases after the bill is cut. So essentially any advances accrue interest, and purchases after the bill so purchases (gas, groceries, etc) are like an int free loan by paying it back before the bill cuts. Advances? I would not recommend using advances so much except in the case of one needing extra cash and not wanting to wait two weeks for the cash (payday). I sometimes take the advance (maybe 30-40 if I really don't want to touch money on my checking or in my savings) out of my card and pay it when I get paid.

In that type of case, it is truely an "advance". I make sure it is short term & not carry the balance. The thing to be wary of are the advance "fees". I have one (Credit Union) card that charges $0.00  for an advance, witout restrictions or limits nor does it have BT costs either....so I could use it like an ATM (with regard to advances because there are essentially ZERO penalties) if I wanted. 

I have another that charges $5.00 per advance. So for this one that charges, I take one advance every other cycle (I can take the 5.00 hit just to show activity), plus if it's a "sock drawer" card....I would do it just to show usage and not be subject to any CLD surprise.

The problem many companies have is that alot of cardholders take advances and carry them as balances. That is not good.  

Starting Score: TU: ?-- EQ: ?--EX 560 (8-08)
Current Score: TU: 671 (3-10) 625 (4-10/Rebucketed)--EQ: 674 (3-10)--EX 630 (Lender 11-09)
Goal Score: TU: 750--EQ: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 86 of 112
Pushto700
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I app'd I got the review message too, just checked status and was approved for 5k CL.   Not sure which card I got, if there is more than one. 

Wow, that's awesome. I do not think my app (my fiancee was approved) will be approved - got the 10-14 day message as well. Probably because of the two negatives on my report (that are being litigated right now - two auto repos) and the creditors are updating monthly though these are two years old (status wise) each.

But I am an AU on my fiancees card. So I will take that for the time being.

Current Score: TU: 671 (3-10) 625 (4-10/Rebucketed)--EQ: 674 (3-10)--EX 630 (Lender 11-09)

Message 87 of 112
cam72
Established Member

The fee for the Cash advances is 25%. So if you advance yourself $40 The fee would be $10 plus the fee at the ATM. It is not worth it nless you need to use it.

Starting Score: EQ -604 (4/09) TU 644 (3/10)
Current Score: EQ -698 (3/10) TU-644 (3/10)
Goal Score: 720

Message 88 of 112
Pushto700
Frequent Contributor

@cam72 wrote:

The fee for the Cash advances is 25%. So if you advance yourself $40 The fee would be $10 plus the fee at the ATM. It is not worth it nless you need to use it.

Umm...I don't have the BB Mastercard yet, my fiancee was just recently approved. I was speaking of the Orchard bank card and my CU CC (Schools First FCU in Orange County, CA).

The CU CC:

-No Cash advance Fee

-No balance transfer fee

-No ATM fees

-Connected to my checking account so I can advance the cash w/o my CC, as I can do this with my debit card.

Example - I advanced 450.00 from my CU CC last month and PIF before the sataement broke. Do you know how much that cost me when the charges were finalized? $3.78. That was all I owed as a result of paying the CU advance before the statement broke, as they are obviously charged whe n the advance is performed.

The example I used was Orchard as well. I recently advanced $40.00 from my Orchard CC. $5.00 per advance...look it up. I paid in full before the Orchard statement broke. The result? They did not charge me. Also, my ATM's from my CU will allow a certain amount of "free" advances for it's members. I use it ONCE every month or every other month. Lets put that in perspective for a card I do not use.....

Starbucks Venti Macchiato - $4.25

BofA overdraft fee - $35.00

Annual fees for those who have to pay them for Best Buy (which my fiancee does not, approved for the Platinum no AF card) - 59.99 (breaks down to 5.00 a month). So if I advanced 1 time every other month, then I can break even as if with an AF.

But the reality is....If you pay the entire balance in full before the grace period (many CC companies use 14 day grace period, now it according to the new CC law is 21) expires from the date of the transaction, all you pay is the transaction fee, not the interest. So If I advance it just to pay the measly $10 to show activity...so be it.

Many here do the very same just to show activity on the card and appease CC companies into coaxing them into CLI's. It's a game and the worst get trapped into it by carrying around the debt.

Message 89 of 112
Woolfman
Established Contributor

Well i broke down and applied for this card . (i have the gold version at 750 cl but an 59 af) was approved for the plat version but only a 600 cl .

I believe my first one started out the same CL and has slowly increased . So hopefully ill get them to bump it up some. Now the torn part. im 94 dollars short of silver status or whatever they call it on my first card. So do i keep using the old card or start using the new one!?!

Message 90 of 112
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.