Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Store Card

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Best Buy Store Card

I can't believe I'm posting this, but I am considering getting the BB store card -- NOT the MC w/AF. I know the store card is harder to get, but I *think* my credit is good enough now. The only reason I'm considering this is because my 3 1/2 yr old computer needs to be repaired, and it may be a better idea to just get a new one. And I saw that they have 18 mos @ 0% financing, which would be really great. (If I put it on one of my current CCs, I'd have to pay interest, which isn't an option.)

So, my question is... How hard is it to get? What are their criteria? My CC history will be 1 yr old in March, but I also had 1 year before that with 2 secured installment loans. No baddies. I kind of think I would probably be approved, but it wouldn't do me much good if I get a small limit, since I'm getting a computer. Also, I don't want to be at my CL. I'd like a buffer so my FICO doesn't go down too much. I would *hope* for at least $1500; though $2k would be better. The computer is $700 plus tax, and I'd like to stay under 50% util.

What do you all think? I don't recall reading about HSBC being very generous on their BB cards, but then I haven't paid that much attention, because I knew they were selling to Cap One. 

Also, which CR do they usually pull?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card

They pull EQ.....I'm not sure what limits they give out....I am also trying to get the plan A card. I have a plan B that I got in 2008. CL 750 max.....I'm going to to close next month and try for a plan A card..... Let us know if you get approved since our EQ scores are the same.......

Message 2 of 15
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Bichon;

I think since you have a clean history on top of the rest of your file you'd probably get the Plan A if you applied in store with a possible purchase being looked at.  The price of the item I hear often plays a part in the approved credit line when in store.

I got my BB store card with a CA on my reports but a few AU cards reporting  a few years as well as a few of my own reporting with perfect history for at least 2 years. I was approved for 900 when looking at 440 (approx) worth of items. Not sure what my score was at the time however I KNOW it was much lower than your current EQ (which they checked for me). If your AMEX is showing as BDing on your reports you'll have even better chances. Have you checked that on EQ or any of them yet?

(JMHO)  Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 3 of 15
FrugalRican
Blogger

Also, are you absolutely sure that the computer that you NEED is $700?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

i think you'd be just fine Bichon, only thing i would be concerned about is them giving you the MC. Not sure if you can apply just for the store card.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 15
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Oh SUUURE F.R.  Just shove her right on into the great big wide, cold, deep,  "system requirements vs cost analysis" ocean!  Smiley LOL

Oh no.......  

one of my areas too.....  I think we owe her a puppy or something now for that....... Smiley Surprised  or at least Exedrine..

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 15
FrugalRican
Blogger

@RyVision wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

Oh SUUURE F.R.  Just shove her right on into the great big wide, cold, deep,  "system requirements vs cost analysis" ocean!  Smiley LOL

Oh no.......  

one of my areas too.....  I think we owe her a puppy or something now for that....... Smiley Surprised  or at least Exedrine..

LOL Sorry, but whenever I hit a store, I always see SOMEONE who is trying to buy more computer than what they really need, and BB seems to be hit and miss with employees that actually want to help their customers and those that just want to make sales.

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

+1 on BB CS Selling more than you need!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 15
learnin113
Established Contributor

Biochonmon,

What about an apple computer and/or apple card Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15
FrugalRican
Blogger

An Apple might be more expensive. They typically tend to be a little more so than custom PC's.

I just want to know what exactly it is that she is looking to use the computer for, whether it's a desktop or laptop, and if she needs it to be brand-specific.

I picked up a really good Six-core Asus a few months ago at Best Buy for about $550. All it really needed was a PSU upgrade and a video card upgrade.

While I was shopping, there was someone else there who was going to buy a $600 computer just for email and word processing. I talked to him about a cheaper ASUS that would meet his specifications and wouldn't need to be upgraded anytime soon for about 400 to 450. At my local BB, there is just ONE employee who knows his computer stuff, but unfortunately, he's always busy talking to plenty of people who know he is the only one with any real knowledge.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.