cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Store Card -

Established Contributor

Best Buy Store Card -

So I had a BBRZMC backed by HSBC back in November, closed it after a month and a half or two months since it had the infamous $300/$59. My question is recently (within the past month) I have gotten four cards:

 

Chase Freedom: $1,500

Discover More: $1,700

Paypal Extra Mastercard: $3,000

And most recent (Yesterday) Citi ThankYou Preferred: $1,200, misread that last night when I was approved, thought it was $2,200.

 

Is it a good time to try for the Best Buy card again? The only thing I'm worried about is being approved, once again, for the low limit card. Last I checked, my EX, and TU were both in the mid 700's. Util. is extremely low at this point since I have recevied new cards.

 

Thanks for all the advice.

 

 

 

Logan

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -

is the BB store card AF free?

 

Either way, I'll likely try the same thing.  Close it, and then re-apply.  My CRs and scores have drastically improved since app'ing it for the sweet $300 CL 3 months ago.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014 750+
3/2017 780+
5/2017 800+
Message 2 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -


Repo-ed wrote:

is the BB store card AF free?

 

Either way, I'll likely try the same thing.  Close it, and then re-apply.  My CRs and scores have drastically improved since app'ing it for the sweet $300 CL 3 months ago.


The store card has no AF, but it is also harder to get. The non-store card generally, or at least, it used to be a low limit card with a high AF. The card I am interested in would be the same card that Ron1 has.

Message 3 of 18
Regular Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -

I work at a Best Buy and I recommend that you apply at a store. They have separate applications for the BBRZMC and their store card. Not sure how it is online, but if u don't want to risk applying for the mastercard, just go into a store and apply with a blue shirt.

EQ - 701 FICO - ScoreWatch (8/2016) | TU - 754 FICO - Fico 8 (8/2016) | EX - 710 Fico - Fico 8 (8/2016)
Amazon Store Card - $10,000 | Amex BCE - $2k | Barclaycard Ring - $2.5k | Capital One Platinum - $7,500 | Capital One Venture - $10,000 | Capital One VentureOne - $7500 | Chase Freedom - $3.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred - $1500 | Discover It - $4200 | Ebates Visa - $25,000 | Macy's - $1700 | Lowes - $12,000 | Walmart MasterCard - $15,000
Message 4 of 18
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -


logan_720 wrote:

Repo-ed wrote:

is the BB store card AF free?

 

Either way, I'll likely try the same thing.  Close it, and then re-apply.  My CRs and scores have drastically improved since app'ing it for the sweet $300 CL 3 months ago.


The store card has no AF, but it is also harder to get. The non-store card generally, or at least, it used to be a low limit card with a high AF. The card I am interested in would be the same card that Ron1 has.


really the store card is harder to get? then the charge one? 

i did this in-store fyi.

when i applied for it (i was buying 3 video games totalling 120 because it was buy 2 get one free)

applied myself and got denied 

applied with my mom co signing and got 2k limit. 

 

this was for the store card btw not the credit one. 

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Message 5 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -


OlegWasHere wrote:


really the store card is harder to get? then the charge one? 

i did this in-store fyi.

when i applied for it (i was buying 3 video games totalling 120 because it was buy 2 get one free)

applied myself and got denied 

applied with my mom co signing and got 2k limit. 

this was for the store card btw not the credit one. 


Yes, the store card is harder, and in turn generally gets a much higher limit. As for the highlighted part, both cards are credit cards.

Message 6 of 18
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -


logan_720 wrote:

OlegWasHere wrote:


really the store card is harder to get? then the charge one? 

i did this in-store fyi.

when i applied for it (i was buying 3 video games totalling 120 because it was buy 2 get one free)

applied myself and got denied 

applied with my mom co signing and got 2k limit. 

this was for the store card btw not the credit one. 


Yes, the store card is harder, and in turn generally gets a much higher limit. As for the highlighted part, both cards are credit cards.


what i meant was. the store card where you can only purchase at best buy vs the credit where you can use anywhere. 

but yes i do understand they are both revolving credit accounts Man Happy

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Message 7 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -


OlegWasHere wrote:

logan_720 wrote:

OlegWasHere wrote:


really the store card is harder to get? then the charge one? 

i did this in-store fyi.

when i applied for it (i was buying 3 video games totalling 120 because it was buy 2 get one free)

applied myself and got denied 

applied with my mom co signing and got 2k limit. 

this was for the store card btw not the credit one. 


Yes, the store card is harder, and in turn generally gets a much higher limit. As for the highlighted part, both cards are credit cards.


what i meant was. the store card where you can only purchase at best buy vs the credit where you can use anywhere. 

but yes i do understand they are both revolving credit accounts Man Happy


lol Smiley Tongue This is probably the one and only case where I would rather have a store-only card over a branded card 

Message 8 of 18
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -


logan_720 wrote:

OlegWasHere wrote:

logan_720 wrote:

OlegWasHere wrote:


really the store card is harder to get? then the charge one? 

i did this in-store fyi.

when i applied for it (i was buying 3 video games totalling 120 because it was buy 2 get one free)

applied myself and got denied 

applied with my mom co signing and got 2k limit. 

this was for the store card btw not the credit one. 


Yes, the store card is harder, and in turn generally gets a much higher limit. As for the highlighted part, both cards are credit cards.


what i meant was. the store card where you can only purchase at best buy vs the credit where you can use anywhere. 

but yes i do understand they are both revolving credit accounts Man Happy


lol Smiley Tongue This is probably the one and only case where I would rather have a store-only card over a branded card 


 

+1

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014 750+
3/2017 780+
5/2017 800+
Message 9 of 18
Established Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store Card -

I wonder since it's now Cap One, do they do the HP on each CB?

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 18