Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Store card denied - Best Buy's fault

tag
RD82
Established Member

Best Buy Store card denied - Best Buy's fault

Hi everyone

2 weeks ago I bought a laptop from the Bestbuy store and they told me I was preapproved for their card so I was stupid enough to apply. I was denied. I called the backdoor number today after I received the letter and they told me I was denied because of "Verfication reasons". BestBuy was supposed to have me call them right away to verify some information but they didn't so I was denied. They told me that now I will have to apply again for the card. What's even worse is that the best buy employee lied to me and told me it was going to be a soft inquiry which was not true of course.

Now I am furious because I was denied for a stupid reason and got a hard inquiry because of it. What should I do? Can I dispute the inquiry on my EQ credit report since I wasn't told about it?

Thank you

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Buy Store card denied - Best Buy's fault

I'm not sure what options you have, but this reaffirms that Best Buy and HSBC both SUCK!

I'd just consider it a lesson learned not to deal with subprime HSBC.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 2 of 10
RD82
Established Member

Agreed!

Do you think I have a case to dispute the inquiry on my report?

Message 3 of 10
aftermath
Established Contributor

Nothing left to do but climb up the corporate ladder and keep complaining until someone does something about it.

But honestly though, a Best Buy employee would be the last person on Earth I would trust in regards to questions about credit terminology such as soft pulls.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 4 of 10
RD82
Established Member

I know. I feel incredibly stupid and I should accept the consequences.

Message 5 of 10
andre181
Established Contributor

I had the same thing happen at Younkers with HSBC. I was instantly denied at the register. 2 weeks, I never got a letter of denial in the mail, so I called and was told they denied me because they couldn't verify my identity.

I asked if there was anyway around that, and they asked me some questions and was able to overturn the denial and approve me for $1000.

Maybe try calling again because it can be done.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 6 of 10
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

When that happens with a company, and it has to  me also,  I never deal with that company again.  There are too many good places out there to deal with. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 7 of 10
CS800
Super Contributor

With most companies, you can turn Blue explaining the one of thiers told you it would be a soft inq. Fact is they will come back and say sorry you got the wrong information.

A lot of companies now don't give customers the benefit of the doubt.

I had the same thing happen to my Kay account. My account was closed when I had a $3000 CL with 0 balance. I never even knew it was closed

When I went bakc the manager said we can reopen it. I made sure it was a soft and he said yes you already had an account so it will be a soft. WRONG, it got a hard pull. Called Kay customer Service, went to see the manager

Answer from Manager at store: I don't remember telling you it would be a soft inq (1 week ago????????), call customer service maybe they can help you (in a **bleep** you way).. The urge to inflict pain to the manager at that time was very strong

Answer from Customer service: You must have misheard, but we are sorry for the inconvenience but it was a legit inq

Message 8 of 10
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

this happened to me as well with my RZMC. never got any clear direction as what to do to slove the problem after that. had to re apply using a second pull sighSmiley Mad

needless to say i got approved the second time without any issues. i of course knew what to do this time. it was that my DL didn't match the current addres that i entered initally.

i must say though, my limit is 1500; 21.75 apr, free financing for 6 months with 250 or more, 0% af, 4% on best buy purchases, 2% everywhere else to apply for future best buy purchases. NOT BAD.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 9 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

A lot of stores give some sort of credit, or have a quota percentage, for how many people the employees should sign up for their store card.  It's on a store or individual level. 

I would try to escalate it and see if there's any way you can reopen the application and verify the info they need.

Lastly, the store employee didn't necessarily lie.  He/she might not have known better or really believed otherwise.  I always assume it's a hard pull even when told otherwise.  If it ends up being a soft, I'm pleasantly surprised.  Smiley Very Happy

Does anyone know if BB has a backdoor #? 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.