Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy Visa and Store Card

tag
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Best Buy Visa and Store Card

I shop at Best Buy religiously!  I have the store card but want to get the Visa also if possible.  Is it possible to have both?  If so, what score is needed for the Visa?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
EJMiv
Valued Member

Re: Best Buy Visa and Store Card

BBY employee here. Previously if you had a card, you could reapply and get another. Citi no longer allows that...as an existing cardholder, if you try to apply for another account it won't allow it. 

Citi recently offered upgrades to Visa from store cards, I'd try giving them a call to see if you can convert. Otherwise, you'd have to close your current account and apply for a new one. If you have great credit (don't know what the threshold is), you will be allowed to choose store or Visa if you are approved. The Visa cards used to have lower APR's, and generally more generous SL's. That's no longer the case either...if you get to choose, they'd both be the same. Visa versions occasionally have bonus cash back offers outside of BBY, and you get cash back on purchases outside of BBY too, so that's a plus. 

Message 2 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@ccpat wrote:

I shop at Best Buy religiously!  I have the store card but want to get the Visa also if possible.  Is it possible to have both?  If so, what score is needed for the Visa?

I don't think you can have both. I used to have the Visa, but I got it from HSBC when they issued it as a subprime card back in 2011, and it was stuck with a $59 annual fee. I asked a rep that I wanted the store card and asked why there wasn't a link to app for just that one and she told me there is just one app for a card, and the system decided whethere to approve you for the store card or the Visa. They wouldn't budge on the AF for the Visa and wouldn't let me downgrade to a store card to get rid of the AF, so I closed it last fall. Best Buy is often on the Discover Deals 5% list, so that's the card I use for BB.

Message 3 of 6
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I am just starting to rebuild and currently waiting for a dispute with CRAs to be settled

I was wondering if you can tell me in detaik hiw to applynfor just the Best Buy Store card?

Will the Shopping Cart Trick work? Is it a HP or SP? In store better or some place online?

I would appreciate any direction

Mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 4 of 6
gibeon
Established Contributor

There's no shopping cart trick for BEst Buy card. It's a hard pull. In store is better (or was in my case.)
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 5 of 6
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. I will wait then until the disputes are settled

Mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.