Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy credit card denial

tag
awall41
Established Member

Best Buy credit card denial

Hi I'm new here and went to apply for a new best buy credit card yesterday to buy an IPad and got declined. My scores are TU-701 EX-686 and EQ- 679.  I am only 21 so all my credit is fairly new and I had just got approved for a capital one venture card. The only problem is I have a 500 limit on it and I don't want to get to close to the CL.  Would you guys, A.) call Capital one backdoor number and explain the situation and ask for a CLI (it has only been one month) B.) Call Best Buy back door and plead my case (0% APR for 18 months) C.) Apply for the Apple Barclays card as I have read a lot of success with their backdoor contacts.  The main reason for me financing is because my work is going to pay for it by giving me a 100$ a week "allowance".  My capital one card is 0% for 12 months but I shop at  Best Buy A LOT and would love the 0% for 18 months offer.  And just a side note my Orchard Bank Card (which is my only other credit card) is paid off in full and my Cap One is 100$ out of 500 and that is because my statement hasn't came out yet.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
lenz99
New Contributor

Re: Best Buy credit card denial

You can only get 0% 18 months on BB store card, not the credit card...

Message 2 of 13
bearsfan34
Regular Contributor

Hi! Welcome the boards you'll learn so much from here. From what I know I can help you with one question. If you've only had your capital one for one month you most likely won't be able to get a CLI or even if you just got one.

edit* But I'm pretty surprised you got denied with those scores.

Starting Score: EX 631 EQ 629 TU 646 1/18
Current Score: __
Goal Score: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 13
cw81
Frequent Contributor

@bearsfan34 wrote:

Hi! Welcome the boards you'll learn so much from here. From what I know I can help you with one question. If you've only had your capital one for one month you most likely won't be able to get a CLI or even if you just got one.

edit* But I'm pretty surprised you got denied with those scores.

I  believe OPs  credit history is   young  and that also factors into denial your score is just part of the picture.  The Best Buy  Store card is  one of the harder cards to get.  All the  open accounts  listed seem  less than a year old  I think a little aging  will help .

Message 4 of 13
vish1
Valued Contributor

I would do a recon with best buy. No point wasting time talking to cap 1 or orchard for CLI. They use a customized dictionary with CLI request deleted from it.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@awall41 wrote:

Hi I'm new here and went to apply for a new best buy credit card yesterday to buy an IPad and got declined. My scores are TU-701 EX-686 and EQ- 679.  I am only 21 so all my credit is fairly new and I had just got approved for a capital one venture card. The only problem is I have a 500 limit on it and I don't want to get to close to the CL.  Would you guys, A.) call Capital one backdoor number and explain the situation and ask for a CLI (it has only been one month) B.) Call Best Buy back door and plead my case (0% APR for 18 months) C.) Apply for the Apple Barclays card as I have read a lot of success with their backdoor contacts.  The main reason for me financing is because my work is going to pay for it by giving me a 100$ a week "allowance".  My capital one card is 0% for 12 months but I shop at  Best Buy A LOT and would love the 0% for 18 months offer.  And just a side note my Orchard Bank Card (which is my only other credit card) is paid off in full and my Cap One is 100$ out of 500 and that is because my statement hasn't came out yet.

Thanks for your help!

Are these scores from myFICO or FAKO scores?? You cant get EX scores here but in very limited places.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 13
awall41
Established Member

These scores are from freecreditscore.com and they were pretty close to the ones I pulled directly from the bureaus. How would you go about speaking with best buy recon, I looked at the backdoor numbers and only saw customer care and new apps?  Can I ask for someone directly in the recon department?

Message 7 of 13
cw81
Frequent Contributor

@awall41 wrote:

These scores are from freecreditscore.com and they were pretty close to the ones I pulled directly from the bureaus. How would you go about speaking with best buy recon, I looked at the backdoor numbers and only saw customer care and new apps?  Can I ask for someone directly in the recon department?

Those are all FAKOs  and might not be close to your FICOs  so  you are going into your recon blind in my opinion.  If you know what bureau they pulled  you can  pull your scores from here for that bureau and also  go over your report so you can see what they are looking at when you recon. They will ask you questions about stuff on the report they pull and you shoud be ready to give them a good answer.  Your FICOs will give you an indication as to whether you are  in the ball park or not .

Message 8 of 13
awall41
Established Member

I have my FICO's from when I bought my motorcycle a year ago and my credit hasn't changed much except I have the Cap One card.  I have no negatives just too many inquiries from when I was 18 and dumb.  I have cut them down signigicantly over the last year and now I only have 4.  A lot for some but pretty good coming from over 20.

Message 9 of 13
cw81
Frequent Contributor

A year is a long time  so  stuff has aged  thats a plus  its good there are no negatives so your scores should be higher  depending on your utll. I think its always good to know what they are currently before an app  so you have an idea of whether  you are in the ball park for the particular creditor.   I would recon if i were you it doesnt hurt to try just make sure you have your whole credit picture so you can convince them  to give you a chance

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.