cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy store card vs. master card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy store card vs. master card?

In regards to any store you named I would always say the mastercard version because your not limited in its use.

I have a BB card and theres no special deals the 5% back is great for high purchases but ive seen no big return on small purchases I make and they only give you the no interest promo for over $150. And ever since citi took it over the apr has been out of control.

Message 11 of 19
mxp114
Valued Contributor

The Platinum MasterCard is and was always the best card and the hardest to get approved for of the Best Buy suite of financial products. The card offers more than the store card and the only difference was the MasterCard products offered periodic 0% financing offers whereas the store offered perpetual 0% offers. This changed as of October 2011 or 2012, I forgot when and all the Best Buy cards became eligible even the $59 AF Gold card.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

US Bank Cash+ is best, because you can choose Electronics stores for one of your 5% categories, and it will work at all electronics stores and not just Best Buy. Then you can wait to redeem the cash back until you have $100 worth, and get a $25 bonus. That would make it a possible 6.25% cash back card. Then you still have another 5% category you can choose.

Soon to be known as Nerf+ Smiley Tongue

perks+signature is a better card imo for a couple reasons. 1) no af which i hate af's and hate paying them so dont. 2) twice the points the first year and 1 point for every dollar spent after that first year although by then there will probably be more promos for it. 

The new amex cards are also cool but hard to get approved for. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

US Bank Cash+ is best, because you can choose Electronics stores for one of your 5% categories, and it will work at all electronics stores and not just Best Buy. Then you can wait to redeem the cash back until you have $100 worth, and get a $25 bonus. That would make it a possible 6.25% cash back card. Then you still have another 5% category you can choose.

They still have electronics stores as a category. And bookstores, sporting goods stores, department stores, furniture stores (i could use a new mattress...), fast food, cell phone, car rental... 

It stil looks like a very useful card to me. At least you get to choose what works best for you, unlike Chase Freedom, Discover it...

+1

Message 14 of 19
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

They still have electronics stores as a category. And bookstores, sporting goods stores, department stores, furniture stores (i could use a new mattress...), fast food, cell phone, car rental... 

It stil looks like a very useful card to me. At least you get to choose what works best for you, unlike Chase Freedom, Discover it...

+1

Best Buy card get's 6% back, but when you use an outside card you get a couple percent back from Best Buy. I find the rewards from the US Bank card plus the BB Elite+ account are better than just the standard BB card awards. 

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 15 of 19
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

Has anyone ever PC from the store card to the MasterCard before? If so, was it a HP/SP?

Message 16 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

Has anyone ever PC from the store card to the MasterCard before? If so, was it a HP/SP?

They do not PC. But you can apply. Really best to be in store to get the mc.  Some people even have both store and mc version. 

Message 17 of 19
juggar
Contributor

I got the BestBuy Gold Mastercard when Cap One owned them, started me off at a $300 limit and I didnt get any increase till Citi took over some time in 2013. 

Started at $300(and $59 AF) and now its at $1500($19 AF). I used it in conjunction with a 10% off coupon and 3X mybestbuy rewards points and ended up getting a $70 rewardzone cert on a $600 purchase to the card. 

Plus you also get the chance to do the stupid deferred financing thing 0% APR. (I always choose 5X points).

In my expereince Citi has not been stingy and has always granted my 2 CLI request. 

just my 2 cent. 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 18 of 19
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind purchase protection on a VISA/MC is going to be a lot better than the store card.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.