Never take a CSR at their word.

Bingo!

Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
WHOA, NELLY, STOP, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!

I am now the owner of a Best Buy store card with a CL of $2500. When you hit that button, you do get a hard. In my case, it was on EQ. (Poor old EQ, but at least it wasn't EX.)

Even though my supposed soft app didn't go through initially, the HSBC CSR cheerfully told me that the inq had already gone through, and they just needed to verify my identity, don't know why. They asked if I had ever had various professional licenses, including electrician and private investigator, and they asked me to confirm what city my son lives in (he has a BB card.)

So oh well, I guess I have another place where I can go by a fridge. But this does not appear to be a soft app, or at least, it wasn't for me. Smiley Tongue

PS: just checked my EQ full report (God bless Equifax Credit Watch Gold), and yup, there it is, Beneficial Financial Bank, Wilmington, DE.

BTW, I would not have done a trial app if I hadn't been willing to live with the consequences. I can promise you, I would not have done this with a WFNNB card. Smiley Wink So, cool, I have a Best Buy card. Time to figure out what I can do with it!

Hauling, I'm sorry I wasn't here yesterday. Smiley Sad I could have saved you a hard pull.

I applied for the BB card online last November...approved..$2,500 cl. My EXP cms reported the hard inq the next day. (btw, I was instantly approved)
Message 22 of 40
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

They hit TU yesterday. HARD! bitter
Message 23 of 40
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Oh, well, Tennessee is about to have a sales tax weekend (no sales tax on clothers and school-related stuff), and DD#1 needs a serious upgrade in laptop land before heading to med school.

Cripes, as much as I hate to shop, too! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 40
creditdream
Frequent Contributor

So can you guys advice me from your own experience which is the best way to apply for BEST BUY card online or in store ?Smiley Happy
Message 25 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I app in store for BB card while CSR sub app she called me over to tell me that I was approved for  the store card and the BB Rewards MC as well. with CL of 8K BB 10K MC 0% for 6 mos after that BT to Visa did not use BB card. 6 mos later went to account center online browsed site come to CLI hit the button  came back with CLI offer approved if you choose to accept I did raised BB card to 10K. I think that a person would be better to app in store it worked out good for me as it likely has for many other too. I am wondering if this action resulted in a hard IINQ it said nothing at all about having to check credit reports or it did not ask for permission to review any CR either. This is very good post excellent point of views. 
Message 26 of 40
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Holy HSBC Credit line!!!
Message 27 of 40
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Sylviatob wrote: Hauling, I'm sorry I wasn't here yesterday. Smiley Sad I could have saved you a hard pull.
I sure wouldn't mind hearing OP say that...
Message 28 of 40
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@KingAdrock wrote:

Sylviatob wrote: Hauling, I'm sorry I wasn't here yesterday. Smiley Sad I could have saved you a hard pull.
I sure wouldn't mind hearing OP say that...

OK, hang on, OP posted this is good faith. And I read a post somewhere else just last night by someone who had done a pre-approval and backed out (or thought they did, lol.)

As I said initially, "BTW, I would not have done a trial app if I hadn't been willing to live with the consequences."

I tiptoed a little ways back into the app last night, and I still can't see how they got away with it. The only thing that I saw that looked like me giving permission was that VERID thing.

I've never heard wonderful things about HSBC, and I must say, I've seen WAY clearer permissions elsewhere. Looks like a useful heads-up to stay on my toes with them! Smiley Surprised
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 29 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry for all who went thru this experience and either got an inquiry they didnt want or just testing the system--however when I completed the process if can up with the fact that I was offered a Gold Rewards Card wtih 59 AF ( I have no AF on no card so I didnt go no further than that--it also noted that I could click this yello bar across the bottom that read to accept the offer--beside that was no thanks and it also stated I had until a date in may to return to accept the offer--no credit limit was ever shown--so instead of hitting to accept offer or try to find out a CL I called the next morning to determine what was done and what they could tell me

I was then told that My info was ran to see based off soft pull of credit if I qualified however to determine a CL I would have to go on there and accept the offer so my actual report could be pulled and that decision could be made--there was no other way to find out a limit--which I do believe cause I have never found out an exact CL without apping for the card---however I didnt get an inquiry (I guess different strokes for different folks) again for any who tried and with regrets I apologize for throwing the offer out there or sending you down this apping road Smiley Sad--

I was just passing on the news the Lending Dept Asst shared with me---
have a great weekend!!
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.