Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Buy

Haha - so much for that score recovery !!!!!!!

haulingthescoreup wrote:
WHOA, NELLY, STOP, DON'T DO THIS!!!!!

I am now the owner of a Best Buy store card with a CL of $2500. When you hit that button, you do get a hard. In my case, it was on EQ. (Poor old EQ, but at least it wasn't EX.)

Even though my supposed soft app didn't go through initially, the HSBC CSR cheerfully told me that the inq had already gone through, and they just needed to verify my identity, don't know why. They asked if I had ever had various professional licenses, including electrician and private investigator, and they asked me to confirm what city my son lives in (he has a BB card.)

So oh well, I guess I have another place where I can go by a fridge. But this does not appear to be a soft app, or at least, it wasn't for me. Smiley Tongue

PS: just checked my EQ full report (God bless Equifax Credit Watch Gold), and yup, there it is, Beneficial Financial Bank, Wilmington, DE.

BTW, I would not have done a trial app if I hadn't been willing to live with the consequences. I can promise you, I would not have done this with a WFNNB card. Smiley Wink So, cool, I have a Best Buy card. Time to figure out what I can do with it!

Message 31 of 40
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
I am sorry for all who went thru this experience and either got an inquiry they didnt want or just testing the system--however when I completed the process if can up with the fact that I was offered a Gold Rewards Card wtih 59 AF ( I have no AF on no card so I didnt go no further than that--it also noted that I could click this yello bar across the bottom that read to accept the offer--beside that was no thanks and it also stated I had until a date in may to return to accept the offer--no credit limit was ever shown--so instead of hitting to accept offer or try to find out a CL I called the next morning to determine what was done and what they could tell me

I was then told that My info was ran to see based off soft pull of credit if I qualified however to determine a CL I would have to go on there and accept the offer so my actual report could be pulled and that decision could be made--there was no other way to find out a limit--which I do believe cause I have never found out an exact CL without apping for the card---however I didnt get an inquiry (I guess different strokes for different folks) again for any who tried and with regrets I apologize for throwing the offer out there or sending you down this apping road Smiley Sad--

I was just passing on the news the Lending Dept Asst shared with me---
have a great weekend!!

I don't know if I wound up on a completely different link or what, because your screens sound very different from mine! --didn't have the yellow bar and didn't have a no thanks button.

No prob, I was going to get this in time for Christmas, so this just upped the schedule a bit.

And BTW, Mr. Timothy Smarty-Pants, I got the SW alert for the inq, and no score change! Smiley Very Happy You're one to talk, sheesh
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 32 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hauling, it sounds like I got the same screen you did. It showed the VERID, but I don't need another card so I backed out of it.
Message 33 of 40
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Hauling, it sounds like I got the same screen you did. It showed the VERID, but I don't need another card so I backed out of it.

Wiser heads prevail! Smiley Wink

I googled VERID, and everything shows them as strictly a source of questions to verify ID. I still want to know where HSBC slipped in the authorization to pull my EQ, but I'm afraid that if I poke around in there again, I'll wind up with a second one. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 34 of 40
thotgal320
Frequent Contributor

Easier to get Reward Zone MC then it is to get Best Buy Card. Best Buy card you can get financing not with the other card.
Message 35 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for both in-store. Both were approved. 700 CL on the in-store card. 410 CL on the Reward Zone MC. I did write down 1100 for my initial purchase(at the time, a computer I wanted). I have asked for CLI on both cards and have been denied. The limits I have on both cards are sad compared to a cap one card i have for $3k and a BoA for $6k.
Message 36 of 40
granny031350
Established Contributor

When I bought my TV the other day, the clerk told me to app for the MC too.  She couldn't understand why I didn't.  But I didn't want to be denied in front of her.  LOL  I just app'd for the store card online and got the 600 I needed to get my new small tv.  Now to pay down the balance here quick.
Message 37 of 40
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

* flex * * flex * Smiley Happy

Card came today, a week and a day after the surprise.

Brace yourself when you call to activate. Along with providing a telephonic DNA sample, including work phone number (the better to collect you with, my dear!), you will also listen to the world's longest sentence, Ms. Hauling, in an attempt, Ms. Hauling, to sell you some sort, Ms. Hauling, of credit card, Ms. Hauling, protection. When you finally manage to interrupt the flow by saying no thank you, you'll be asked why on earth not. I told her that my homeowner's insurance covers such things. For all I know, it does.

Anyway, the card is blue, and it's pretty, and there's no expiration date, and it came with a 10% off coupon. Now it's time to figure out HSBC's interesting reporting patterns.
Message 38 of 40
heirophant
Established Contributor

My HSBC MC reports on the 31st of every month, but reports the statement balance.  But i would keep it under 10% until the 31st if I were you just to be safe for the first few billing cycles until you get a feel for it.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 39 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mines came in the mail yesterday. When I called to activate it I asked the rep if they could do a CLI upon activation and of course they said no. I think HSBC has some policy the account should be open for a specified amount of time...
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.