Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Buys Mastercard "verification"

tag
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Best Buys Mastercard "verification"

I'm not sure if anyone here as dealt with the same experiences Ill dealing wth now. I applied for the Best buy credit cadr online back in October and received a message online saying to call Best Buys credit department for further verification. I called right away and spoke to a rep and he said that my application was gonna be approved but since there's a fraud alert and they needed to verify my phone number, they couldn,t approve it at this time! So i called Equifax that same night and updated my contact info and ask them why was there a fraud alert put on my credit file since I nevered authorize it. I'm thinking when I signed up for the Equifax membership subscription, they automatically placed it on my report. So I asked Equifax and said they nevered placed it on my credit file which I think they did cause I nevered authorized it. Anyways Best Buy credit rep either I can have the fraud alert removed and re-apply again (which is another HP) as soon as fraud alert is removed or apply in store with ID. They failed to tell me that I would have to wait 90 days before re-applying again. I tried calling Best Buy today again and talked to a supervisor to take a look at my application and tried to hae her use the same application# and update my info but no luck!! She said I was on my way of being approved but because of that fraud alert, it was denied!! She said there's nothing she can do for me but to wait 90 days and re-apply again or go to the store with ID. I really don't ant to have a HP again besides after I have the fraud alert removed and re-apply again, I'm not sure I'll get the same result and they'll deny for something else. Has anyone had the same issues?? Thank you for any help.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Best Buys Mastercard "verification"

It happened to me.  I need to call them to verify ID.  I had to answer L/N question and I was able to answer all of them. It was BB store card, CompUSA and Costco store card.

Ron.

Message 2 of 11
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

I answered all the questions but the problem was that when you have a fraud alert on your credit file, they have to verify with ID. So I'm going to re-apply once my 90 days is up. Thanks.

Message 3 of 11
mxp114
Valued Contributor

A 90 day or 7 year fraud alert? Either way a phone number should be attached and thus all they need to do is call you to verify. No need to show ID or apply in person.

Message 4 of 11
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

It's a 7yr fraud alert, the problem was Equifax didn't have my updated contact info, so that same night when talked to the Best Buy rep. I called Equifax and updated my contact info and they said it will be updated within 24hrs. So I guess they couldn't contact me if they wanted to. I already sent out a letter to Equifax to remove the fraud alert. Fraud alert is standing between me and the Best Buy card! The worst part of all is that I never placed the fraud alert, I guess Equifax did when I signed uo for the membership. Don't know what to do now but to wait for the fraud alert to be removed and re-apply. My contact info is updated now. Thanks

Message 5 of 11
mxp114
Valued Contributor

EQ automatically adds a 7 year fraud alert without any contact info anytime you file a dispute where you say you don't recognize the account and the results are verified. You can update the phone number online but to remove it, you need to fax in two forms of ID and a signed letter requesting it. Good luck on your approval, update the thread Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 11
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Yes, that's exactly what I had to do. I'm still learning and thank you for everyone's help on here.

Message 7 of 11
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You also get a fraud alert when you report your card lost or stolen. Sometimes the rep will ask you if you indeed want the Fraud alert placed on your account.

This is the first I have heard of a fraud alert being the cause for credit denial. Usually, they just say they need verification to continue processing and typically that is accomplished with a fax or snail mail or additional questions asked over the phone. I also have a fraud alert because my debit card was compromised 5 years ago. They usually ask for something recent that an identity thief wouldn't have like a recent insurance card with your current address on it. I am going through a similar dog and pony show with Chase right now. It sounds like you just need to find the right recon line and ask what verification docs are acceptable and then ask if you could fax those in.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 11
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

I think you misunderstood me about the fraud alert...sorry about that but the frausd alert put in place by Equifax. What heppen was that I disputed a collection account on file that I wasn't aware of with Exp.. So Exp. delete but notified Eq. to let them know so that's why they place a fraud alert on my file.

Message 9 of 11
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

All I was saying was that you can ALSO get a fraud alert by reporting a card lost or stolen.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.