cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CC for Airline miles on the market right now...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best CC for Airline miles on the market right now...

My Gf is looking for the best card on the market.   she will be using her card to pay all bills and then pay of credit card off before the due date..  she wants to travel this year, so she wants the best card out there.    any info will help   thanks.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Mattopotamus
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best CC for Airline miles on the market right now...

Either the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Citi Prestige.  Don't let the annual fee on the prestige scare you, it comes with an annual $250 airline credit.  Just compare those cards side by side and see what fits her needs best.

Message 2 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Mattopotamus wrote:

Either the Chase Sapphire Preferred or the Citi Prestige.  Don't let the annual fee on the prestige scare you, it comes with an annual $250 airline credit.  Just compare those cards side by side and see what fits her needs best.

Well, I would also take into account which airlines she flies (and/or hotels she stays in) to make sure that they are good transfer partners for those cards.    

Message 3 of 20
elim
Senior Contributor

What's her monthly CC spend?     Scores?   What U.S. airline do you guys fly mostly?   Will you be doing most travel in the states or overseas?

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit scores and monthly spend with categories please, also inquiries would be helpful.

I would suggest anything Chase UR, Citi TYP, Citigold checking, Amex Prg/Delta combo (100k miles and $250 flying credit after 2k spend and 1 experian inquiry)

If we are talking someone who can spend 2-3 grand a month or more on a card, open a few cards. Get the bonuses.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Her transunion score is 755.   she has 2 credit cards  VS and Quicksilver.      1 inquiry  and she spends around 200 a month using her CC but she always pays it off..   we are looking at traveling in the states for now.   i told her if she does get a card to make sure to pay all bills including rent with the card and then pay off the card before the cut off date which she will.

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which airlines are you loyal to?
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Her transunion score is 755.   she has 2 credit cards  VS and Quicksilver.      1 inquiry  and she spends around 200 a month using her CC but she always pays it off..   we are looking at traveling in the states for now.   i told her if she does get a card to make sure to pay all bills including rent with the card and then pay off the card before the cut off date which she will.

well it would work to open some cards for bonuses.... SPG has a higher point value with lots of flexibility unlimited boingo wifi etc.... could pair that with a PRG for 50k MR points that transfer to delta.   just remember to not spread yourself too thin.... never use a debit card unless you have to.  reddit churning is a good place to look, also to figure out a points trip, thepointsguy is great, flyertalk, onemileatatime, etc..... many savvy users here post bonuses, but I like to mix with other sites, and use this one as more of a place for an approval checklist...chase cobranded cards seem to be pretty easy to get.... I'd say CSP+airline card, maybe pair that with an amex cc+charge card.

but truth be told post bonuses...it isnt going to make a ton of sense to always spend a percent fee to pay rent and stuff to earn miles and pay an annual fee.....  How much can she spend a month on CC as described?

Message 8 of 20
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All good reward travel/airline cards carry an AF and at $200 a month spend no AF cashback cards are in her best interest at this point and even at $200 a month on those rewards will be very low yearly

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All good reward travel/airline cards carry an AF and at $200 a month spend no AF cashback cards are in her best interest at this point and even at $200 a month on those rewards will be very low yearly

+1. She really doesn't spend enough to justify a card with an AF.

I'd suggest looking at a no AF cash back card, or a card that has ongoing benefits which will help offset the AF (free bags on Citi AA or United Explorer, Hyatt or IHG for free nights, etc.)

She'd need to spend at least $15,000 per year (or $1250 a month) to offset a card with an $100 AF, assuming each point/mile earnt is worth 2cpp (and that's a pretty generous valuation that only holds for SPG and UR). This is when compared against a 2% no AF cash back card.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.