cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CC for Purchase Protection (Lost Items)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best CC for Purchase Protection (Lost Items)

I know most cards offer purchase protection for damaged and stolen items. Reading through the terms I don't see anything on lost items. Is there a card out there that offers this for items that are simply lost and not necessarily stolen?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
trant3
Established Contributor

Re: Best CC for Purchase Protection (Lost Items)

Only Amex Platinum
FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh thanks. Don't think I'm going to get it just for that.
Message 3 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Prestige benefit guide:

"If an item is purchased with your Citi card and/or ThankYou® Points and is damaged, lost, or stolen within 120 days (90 days for New York residents) of purchase or delivery of the item, whichever is first, we may repair it or reimburse you up to the amount paid with your Citi card and/or ThankYou® Points. You’re covered for up to $10,000 per item, up to $50,000 per year, per Citi card account."

My Costco card doesn't include it. I've not checked other Citi cards.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Credit card companies (Citi, Discover, and Chase) have been nerfing insurance coverages and purchase/price/return protections like crazy in the last few months.  I would not assume that any card that has these benefits today will still have those protections a few months from now.  I would not chose a card just because it has these benefits, because when the benefits are cancelled, it often affects exisiting cardholders as well as new ones.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, and Citi Prestige are the only cards I'm aware of that offer this benefit.

I don't have experience with Citi, but my experience with Amex for purchase protection claims has been excellent--definitely easier than Chase, at least.

Message 7 of 13
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Delta Gold and Amex PRG have insurance against lost items up to 90 days.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 8 of 13
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I just read the terms and conditions for the Premier Rewards Gold card directly from amex under the purchase protection page.

It specifically states that lost, damaged and stolen items are covered.

I’m not an attorney so I could be wrong about this, but that is what the terms for the PRG state. I even searched the document for any mention of the platinum card and all that is mentioned is the PRG.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 9 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
I just read the terms and conditions for the Premier Rewards Gold card directly from amex under the purchase protection page.

It specifically states that lost, damaged and stolen items are covered.

I’m not an attorney so I could be wrong about this, but that is what the terms for the PRG state. I even searched the document for any mention of the platinum card and all that is mentioned is the PRG.

Link and relevant quote? Or, if the text doesn't copy-paste neatly, a link, page number, and relevant paragraph?

This does include PRG: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/features-benefits/policies/purchase-protection/faq.h...

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.