Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CC for paying those bills.

tag
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Best CC for paying those bills.

Now that the new quarter has started and US Bank no longer offers 5% bill payment I am curious as to what fellow members here use for their bills. Such as insurance, Cable, Internet etc. Im going to continue using my Cash+ for my cell phones but want to utilize another card for my other bills. any suggestions?

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
theeurotuner
Valued Member

Re: Best CC for paying those bills.

Discover, if you do bill pay through discover you get 2% cash back with the more or the it. And I believe 3 or 4 miles pet dollar with the escape. Which is 3-4% cash back. Not sure about the escape but pretty sure about the others
Amex BCP- 1k, Amex EDP - 15k, Amex PRG, Barclays Ring - 10k, Barclays Arrival Plus World Elite - 12k, Chase Freedom - 5k, Discover it - 15k, Discover Escape: 17k, USAA World MasterCard: 10k, Walmart - 7,500, P.C. Richards - 5k, Lowes - 9k, Bank Of America 1 2 3 Cash - 15K, Amazon - 7,500K ~~~ Fico - TU-759, EQ-720, EX-751
Message 2 of 15
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@iMacDrew wrote:

Now that the new quarter has started and US Bank no longer offers 5% bill payment I am curious as to what fellow members here use for their bills. Such as insurance, Cable, Internet etc. Im going to continue using my Cash+ for my cell phones but want to utilize another card for my other bills. any suggestions?

I'm in the same boat.  I am really missing that bill pay category!  I'm thinking about app'ing for the Priceline Visa to get 2%.  Until then, I'm probably going to use my Cap One Cash Rewards card for the 1.5%.  Seems so paltry in comparison to the 5%!!  Smiley Sad

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 3 of 15
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

@iMacDrew wrote:

I'm in the same boat.  I am really missing that bill pay category!  I'm thinking about app'ing for the Priceline Visa to get 2%.  Until then, I'm probably going to use my Cap One Cash Rewards card for the 1.5%.  Seems so paltry in comparison to the 5%!!  Smiley Sad

I know im just glad I got 1 more rewards redemption + the  $25 gift card. I might go with the Discover It but its the lowest limit I have and although I PIF my bills are spread out so there will most likely be something reporting at the end of the month. I also dont like how the only way I can redeem for cash before $50 is by purchasing something from Amazon.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 4 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@theeurotuner wrote:
Discover, if you do bill pay through discover you get 2% cash back with the more or the it. And I believe 3 or 4 miles pet dollar with the escape. Which is 3-4% cash back. Not sure about the escape but pretty sure about the others

i think it's stoped on Dec 2012. Correct me if i'm wrong ???

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 15
bs6054
Valued Contributor

If you are willing to get business cards, the Chase Ink series gives 5% for phones/internet/cable (up to $50K a year, which hopefully is enough for most!)

Message 6 of 15
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

@theeurotuner wrote:

i think it's stoped on Dec 2012. Correct me if i'm wrong ???

That promo stopped on my account Dec. 2012 and was just for autopayments (not Bill Pay) of utilitiy bills.

Message 7 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

so can i still do this with discover IT?
How do I have to pay to qualify for 2%? just charge it to my card?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

They stop that promo....
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 9 of 15
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

If you do a search, there is a post somewhere about some Internet and cable providers still getting the 5% cash back from Cash+ under the cell phone Category. For Insurance, you are kind of out of luck, unless Citi Dividend offers it as a rotating Category again (they did last year for a Quarter).

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.