cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CC for purchasing laptops or other electronic devices?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best CC for purchasing laptops or other electronic devices?

Going to buy a laptop either on Best Buy or manufacturer's website like Lenovo.com soon. I may also purchase a new phone on manufacturer's website, Ebay, Walmart or Amazon. I cannot tell where I am going spend the 1k+ money yet. Which CC is good for this purpose? I guess US Cash+ works for BB, but not sure about computer manufacturer websites.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
satasat360
Regular Contributor

Re: Best CC for purchasing laptops or other electronic devices?

Cash+ wont work on manufacturer website, i tried hp and dell both didnt work. But my first choice  for high value items would be amex because of 90 day Return/purchase protection and 1 year extended warranty.

Cash+ electronic store merchants:

• ABT Electronics
  • Abtelectronics.com
  • Alltimetvs
  • Apple Store
  • Appliance & TV Center
  • Beachcamera.com
  • Best Buy®
  • Bestbuy.com®
  • Bose.com®
  • Bose®
  • Cowboom.com
  • Crutchfield®
  • CyberPowerPC
  • East Coast TVs
  • Electronic Express®
  • Fry's Electronics
  • Frys.com
  • h.h. gregg®
  • hhgregg.com
  • Huppin's
  • Huppins.com
  • Hutchins TV and Appliance
  • Magnolia
  • MCM Electronics
  • Newegg.com®
  • Paul's TV®
  • Paulstv.com®
  • Radioshack.com®
  • RadioShack®
  • Ray's TV & Appliance
  • Roku.com®
  • Sonicelectronix
  • Sony Direct
  • Sony Store
  • Suess Electronics
  • Sweetwater.com®
  • Sweetwater®
  • TigerDirect®
  • Vann's®
  • Vanns.com®
  • Video Only
  • Zeglin's

Starting Score: 669
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Discover's portal can give you a total of 12% cash back on some Apple.com purchases.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@satasat360 Good to know from your real experiences! Cash+'s limited list doesn't look very attractive to me.

I have BCE card which has the return and extra 1-year warranty benefit as you said, but the cash back is just too little. I also have Citi AAdvantage card, it sometimes offers mileage return for purchasing on some manufacturer's website. Are there any universal and better options? 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you plan to carry a balance then get a card with 0% apr intro or you will be paying interest.

Message 5 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Cash+ should work at Dell online, same as Apple Store. This list is from my US Bank card which I was using everywhere for a few years. It provides a pretty good comparison of the MCC that various merchants use. Note that in 2010, Dell coded as Business Services. In 2013 it was coding as Computers.

Also, Amazon codes as Bookstores and there is a Bookstore 5% category available on Cash+.

US Bank Dell Apple Coding.JPG

US Bank Amazon Coding.JPG

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are there any universal and better options? 

Not a whole lot of options that have what you're looking for as a category.  The portals for different cards may have offers relevant to you but those can come and go and there's no good way to preview the offers in a portal, generally speaking.  If you shop through Amazon there are some options.  Best you can probably do if you can't change merchants is just a flat 2% card.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you plan to carry a balance then get a card with 0% apr intro or you will be paying interest.

No, I always PIF. 

@NRB525 , Thanks for sharing your data. It may hint that Lenovo, HiHonor.com and others can also be coded as Computers, Electronics or something similar. That's my guess...

Right now, I have the BoA Travel 1.5% mileage back card for what can be worse. I may PC my Citi AA card to DC later this year, but not soon. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.