tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best CCC for disputes?

In order from personal experience
1) Amex
2) Discover
3) ????

Whats your list from experience or from just seeing it firsthand? Discuss!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best CCC for disputes?

I only had one dispute with a hotel on my CITI card, they handled it pretty well (took like 4 months to settle because hotel only contacted them back last min everytime) but I also had proof in my favor, so ofc they cleared the charge off my acc. Smiley Embarassed 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover has been absolutely awesome for me.

Somebody hacked my Walmart.com account and tried to charge something like four times my credit line onto my Discover.  I called Discover and had a new card in two days (and I had access to it a couple hours after I called through Apple Pay).  Was never charged a red cent and there was zero red tape in getting everything squared away.

A few months prior to this, I got double charged for something (two line items posted) and trying to work with the store was zero help so I went through the online dispute portal at Discover.  It was credited back super fast, no problem.

I haven't had to dispute a transaction with anyone else to date so I can't weigh in on any other company.

Message 3 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

Astonishingly enough, I've never had to dispute a charge.  

However, based on the experience of those around me IRL and extensive reading of others accounts on the net, my ranking is as follows:

1.  Amex

2.  Everyone else...

I don't trust Discover's Merchant dispute process (from those who experienced it IRL) and eschew anything involving a third party, such as Visa/MC.  I will only use an Amex for large purchases (especially electronic goods), even if it means earning less rewards.  

Message 4 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I only had one dispute with a hotel on my CITI card, they handled it pretty well (took like 4 months to settle because hotel only contacted them back last min everytime) but I also had proof in my favor, so ofc they cleared the charge off my acc. Smiley Embarassed 

You're much more patient and understanding than I, even at my most tolerant.  For me, 4 months is simply too long and unacceptable.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely agree with only using AMEX for large purchases despite less cashback.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it is so much the credit card company, but rather the major credit card protocol, which is pretty much standard. They have to comply. You are protected. Some may act sooner than others, but bottom line is you are protected against unauthorized charges.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it is so much the credit card company, but rather the major credit card protocol, which is pretty much standard. They have to comply. You are protected. Some may act sooner than others, but bottom line is you are protected against unauthorized charges.

Dispute (in my original post) =/= unauthorized charges.

A dispute can be opened for many reasons besides unauthorized charges, for example:

1) You returned an item and the merchant has not credited your account

or 

2) You pay for an item, but never receive it ie getting scammed on ebay.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to dispute a charge with Chase once and it worked out pretty well. I submitted it online and got a phone call from them the next day. After a few minutes of explaining the situation and answering a couple questions they gave me a provisional credit pending response from the merchant (and since they didn't respond within the 45 days it became permanent). It was on the CSP though so I don't know if their other cards would be less/more of a hassle.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.