Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best CU for benefits,DFCU or NFCU?

tag
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Best CU for benefits,DFCU or NFCU?

Where are you located revelate?
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 11 of 38
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Being a member of DCU, I'm not certain why (other than freebie FICO score) and good rates on loans and what not, and a reasonably decent web interface, that they really outpace the average CU with the possible exception of their online interface.

NFCU on the other hand may be one of the most advantageous lending institutions to be a member at, at least in the current market and economy.

Much as DCU has been good to me personally (more than happy with my auto loan and my secured card simply works); if I had NFCU access I wouldn't be dealing with DCU in the first place I don't think, and that's even with my having banked with DCU back in 2000-2001 and still having an account dating back to that time.

What services does NFCU offer that DFCU don't?

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 12 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@jsickz32 wrote:
Where are you located revelate?

S. Cali for nearly 8 years now.  I was in MA in 2000-2002 working for an employer that had DCU membership as a benefit.

        
Message 13 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Being a member of DCU, I'm not certain why (other than freebie FICO score) and good rates on loans and what not, and a reasonably decent web interface, that they really outpace the average CU with the possible exception of their online interface.

NFCU on the other hand may be one of the most advantageous lending institutions to be a member at, at least in the current market and economy.

Much as DCU has been good to me personally (more than happy with my auto loan and my secured card simply works); if I had NFCU access I wouldn't be dealing with DCU in the first place I don't think, and that's even with my having banked with DCU back in 2000-2001 and still having an account dating back to that time.

It's not services so much, rather it's their terms:

- Unquestionably better credit card products

- Better auto loan rates (and DCU's aren't bad, at all)

- More aggressive lending towards those with limited or poor credit history (that'd be me...)

There may be some other things, but in general NFCU's loan rates are the lowest in the industry across the board at least from the anecdotal evidence on this forum, possible exception of mortgage, and their credit products are absolutely first rate: for nearly any credit profile they not only have a product, it's an often times an excellent one.  

DCU on the other hand is a good, solid, respectable CU for the most part, and likely a good choice for the vast majority of people; however, they're simply not NFCU.

Then again I honestly can't see that any other lending institution is either, from what I've read on these forums over the past year, NFCU is pretty much worthy of the hype and legends that have sprung up around it on this forum.  I can't say that about any other lender, and honestly any of the lenders I have a relationship with now (possible exception USAA as my insurance is through them) I'd kick to the curb in favor of NFCU - BOFA / Chase / DCU.

        
Message 14 of 38
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

- More aggressive lending towards those with limited or poor credit history (that'd be me...)

There may be some other things, but in general NFCU's loan rates are the lowest in the industry across the board at least from the anecdotal evidence on this forum, possible exception of mortgage, and their credit products are absolutely first rate: for nearly any credit profile they not only have a product, it's an often times an excellent one.  

DCU on the other hand is a good, solid, respectable CU for the most part, and likely a good choice for the vast majority of people; however, they're simply not NFCU.

Then again I honestly can't see that any other lending institution is either, from what I've read on these forums over the past year, NFCU is pretty much worthy of the hype and legends that have sprung up around it on this forum.  I can't say that about any other lender, and honestly any of the lenders I have a relationship with now (possible exception USAA as my insurance is through them) I'd kick to the curb in favor of NFCU - BOFA / Chase / DCU.

I agree that NFCU has a reputation for high credit limits regardless of the applicant's Fico score but other then that I'm struggling to single out any other difference that would be a convincing arguement to put NFCU above DFCU.Can anyone point out the differences? DFCU offers rental car protection which saves on having to take out car insurance at rental agencies.They both give reward points and cash back. They both give nice limits but DFCU might be more score focus. NFCU is harder to join because it's NFCU employee and military biased. While DFCU is easier to join. My interest rate is 11% on my rewards card.What is the lowest interest rates on NFCU cards?

Goal 750 Across

Message 15 of 38
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

I have to admit i'm very VERY impressed with the huge limits that NFCU give to people that don't have big salaries nor high credit scores.They are quite good in that way.

Goal 750 Across

Message 16 of 38
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

I have to admit i'm very VERY impressed with the huge limits that NFCU give to people that don't have big salaries nor high credit scores.They are quite good in that way.

i think there is also a lot of people that have the good salary but lower scores

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 17 of 38
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

i think there is also a lot of people that have the good salary but lower scores

I agree with your point.I saw one poster get a $9K limit with a 598 credit score.That is unheard of at banks or just about any other Credit Union. I wonder if NFCU has 24Hour customer service?

Goal 750 Across

Message 18 of 38
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Revelate wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I too bank with DCU (and have since 2005) the one advantage for me over NFCU is that it has shared branching.  I wish that they would offer 24 hour customer service.  I agree with Revelate that their online interface is outdated and they need to be more aggressive with limited or rebuilding credit history.  For example, earlier  this year, I applied for a car loan  with DCU and was rejected (EQ was 689). A month later, I financed a vehicle (larger loan amount/same downpayment)  through Chase by the dealer- nothing changed in my credit history and I did not have a relationship with Chase. After the DCU rejection, I was afraid to even try NFCU (before I found this board) cause it is not an account I used and thought my history of 7years would be stronger.  

I am fortunate enough to be a member through my DH of both CU and now that I am on my way back wilth my previously non-existent revolving credit history, I will apply for both cards once my gardening is over.  Also, I wish could get the benefit of the free FICO that DCU offers  its' primary members. Smiley Frustrated

Message 19 of 38
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@MountainHiker wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I agree with your point.I saw one poster get a $9K limit with a 598 credit score.That is unheard of at banks or just about any other Credit Union. I wonder if NFCU has 24Hour customer service?

Yes, they do have 24 hour service. 

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.