tag
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Re: Best CU for benefits,DFCU or NFCU?

@09Lexie wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I have to admit i'm very VERY impressed with the huge limits that NFCU give to people that don't have big salaries nor high credit scores.They are quite good in that way.

i think there is also a lot of people that have the good salary but lower scores

I agree with your point.I saw one poster get a $9K limit with a 598 credit score.That is unheard of at banks or just about any other Credit Union. I wonder if NFCU has 24Hour customer service?

Yes, they do have 24 hour service. 

Ok,that is a big plus. That is what seperates the banks from most credit unions being able to call a credit card provider day or night in case of emergency or just to talk to a actual person when ever neccessary. I don't think DFCU offers that option.I believe the call center for them stops at 9pm.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 21 of 38
Jutz
Valued Contributor

I too bank with DCU (and have since 2005) the one advantage for me over NFCU is that it has shared branching.  I wish that they would offer 24 hour customer service.  I agree with Revelate that their online interface is outdated and they need to be more aggressive with limited or rebuilding credit history.  For example, earlier  this year, I applied for a car loan  with DCU and was rejected (EQ was 689). A month later, I financed a vehicle (larger loan amount/same downpayment)  through Chase by the dealer- nothing changed in my credit history and I did not have a relationship with Chase. After the DCU rejection, I was afraid to even try NFCU (before I found this board) cause it is not an account I used and thought my history of 7years would be stronger.  

I am fortunate enough to be a member through my DH of both CU and now that I am on my way back wilth my previously non-existent revolving credit history, I will apply for both cards once my gardening is over.  Also, I wish could get the benefit of the free FICO that DCU offers  its' primary members. Smiley Frustrated

I'm extremely surprised to hear this bit.  I literally just got done talking to a DCU rep about auto loans.  They finance with 640 EQ Auto Enhanced being the minimum, at only 5.49%.  With 675+ they finance at 1.99%.  What else happened?  I can't imagine you'd get flat out rejected with a 689 FICO

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 22 of 38
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

I too bank with DCU (and have since 2005) the one advantage for me over NFCU is that it has shared branching.  I wish that they would offer 24 hour customer service.  I agree with Revelate that their online interface is outdated and they need to be more aggressive with limited or rebuilding credit history.  For example, earlier  this year, I applied for a car loan  with DCU and was rejected (EQ was 689). A month later, I financed a vehicle (larger loan amount/same downpayment)  through Chase by the dealer- nothing changed in my credit history and I did not have a relationship with Chase. After the DCU rejection, I was afraid to even try NFCU (before I found this board) cause it is not an account I used and thought my history of 7years would be stronger.  

I am fortunate enough to be a member through my DH of both CU and now that I am on my way back wilth my previously non-existent revolving credit history, I will apply for both cards once my gardening is over.  Also, I wish could get the benefit of the free FICO that DCU offers  its' primary members. Smiley Frustrated

I'm extremely surprised to hear this bit.  I literally just got done talking to a DCU rep about auto loans.  They finance with 640 EQ Auto Enhanced being the minimum, at only 5.49%.  With 675+ they finance at 1.99%.  What else happened?  I can't imagine you'd get flat out rejected with a 689 FICO

DCU are obviously a great outfit and having them as the main lender in one's corner is a very smart decision.I'm not sure what the other person experienced in their encounter with DCU, but I will say they did offer me an auto loan right after my approval for their Visa Rewards card on the same day. The rate was extremely attractive.

Goal 750 Across

Message 23 of 38
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

DCU are obviously a great outfit and having them as the main lender in one's corner is a very smart decision.I'm not sure what the other person experienced in their encounter with DCU, but I will say they did offer me an auto loan right after my approval for their Visa Rewards card on the same day. The rate was extremely attractive.

Yeah, I was really impressed with the info I got from them.  I assume they had to do multiple pulls for CC vs. Auto vs. membership, correct?

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 24 of 38
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

Yeah, I was really impressed with the info I got from them.  I assume they had to do multiple pulls for CC vs. Auto vs. membership, correct?

They did two pulls on me one for membership and the second for the CC.I did not accept the auto loan because I just leased a new car in september. but the offer was better than any bank I've seen. They did not do a hard pull for the checking account.

Goal 750 Across

Message 25 of 38
Jutz
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

They did two pulls on me one for membership and the second for the CC.I did not accept the auto loan because I just leased a new car in september. but the offer was better than any bank I've seen. They did not do a hard pull for the checking account.

So they must have pre-approved you based on your membership?  Talking to them, they said they will pull again for an auto loan, because they use EQ Auto Enhanced.  If the dealer isn't able to match (A strong possibility if i can get to 675 auto for 1.99%) I may open the auto loan with them, then short of 90 days later pull for checking and CC.

Either way, to keep it mildly on topic, I was very impressed and I'm not even a member yet.  I do think DCU offers as close as you can get to NFCU (that I've found) that's open to the public.

Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 26 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

TBH I think it's only because it comes up over and over again.

In looking through the Auto Loan threads, while I got a fantastic refi rate, there are other CU's out there which have done similar and have been posted about on the forums in the Auto board... they just don't come up as often.  I think if it weren't for the freebie EQ Beacon 5.0 service we'd simply know DCU as just another local CU, rather than a cult favorite on the boards.

I'll still stand by my assertion NFCU > DCU by a wide margin; that said, for publically available CU's, DCU does offer a number of good things and I do recommend them to anyone who doesn't have NFCU or other quality CU membership (Alliant I think is likewise very good and similar as another example).  Also their secured product of $0 AF isn't quite unique but it is rare.  Their rewards credit cards though are nowhere close to competitive, maybe their low APR one is but as I'm not in that credit strata, I haven't even looked.  

The more I think about it, most folks who tend to apply for DCU auto loans, tend to frequent the CC forum anyway; that's suggestive to me at least regarding their auto loans that they're not the end-all and be-all, but rather that they're simply better known from the discussions on this forum.

I really don't have many complaints though honestly regarding DCU, and I've wrapped my arms around them as my primary CU going forward unless I wind up travelling overseas where SDFCU really shines with their Chip/PIN combo on their credit cards; I have no idea on their other loan products.

DCU does have a mobile app too which is pretty decent except it doesn't support external transfers, and there's no ability to make a principal payment only on it to an auto loan... got a nasty gram for pre-paying my auto loan by more than 3 months.  If you are trying to do silly FICO tricks by pre-paying most of an auto loan and then letting it idle (or with $1 payments to keep it active while extending the tradeline) don't go with DCU at all; however, for a good rate, I do recommend them heh.

        
Message 27 of 38
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Jutz wrote:

I don't have to imagine because it definitely happened.  The reason stated  was as follows: yes I still have the letter

• Insufficient number of satisfactory related accounts
  • lack of recent revolving installments

My older car was paid off in 2008 and the mortgage in 2004.  I did not have ANY revolving credit only 2 installment student loans that I have paying on forever and   1 sm collection account from 2006 for $380.  My DH had an Orchard Bank (now Cap1) with a low limit.  

Like I said, I was a little surprised that it was rejected but since we had not made any credit card payments (significant) I guess I understood.  As luck would have it, Chase appreciated the paid mortgage and what credit we had showed no lates.  

Now that I have revolving cards- still waiting on the prime one's - I will try them for a Visa.  DCU is an excellent credit union and we haven't had any problems. I did not know about recons or backdoor numbers then and if I did Iit may have turned out differently.  

Message 28 of 38
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Revelate wrote:

TBH I think it's only because it comes up over and over again.

In looking through the Auto Loan threads, while I got a fantastic refi rate, there are other CU's out there which have done similar and have been posted about on the forums in the Auto board... they just don't come up as often.  I think if it weren't for the freebie EQ Beacon 5.0 service we'd simply know DCU as just another local CU, rather than a cult favorite on the boards.

I'll still stand by my assertion NFCU > DCU by a wide margin; that said, for publically available CU's, DCU does offer a number of good things and I do recommend them to anyone who doesn't have NFCU or other quality CU membership (Alliant I think is likewise very good and similar as another example).  Also their secured product of $0 AF isn't quite unique but it is rare.  Their rewards credit cards though are nowhere close to competitive, maybe their low APR one is but as I'm not in that credit strata, I haven't even looked.  

The more I think about it, most folks who tend to apply for DCU auto loans, tend to frequent the CC forum anyway; that's suggestive to me at least regarding their auto loans that they're not the end-all and be-all, but rather that they're simply better known from the discussions on this forum.

I really don't have many complaints though honestly regarding DCU, and I've wrapped my arms around them as my primary CU going forward unless I wind up travelling overseas where SDFCU really shines with their Chip/PIN combo on their credit cards; I have no idea on their other loan products.

They do have a mobile app too which is pretty decent except it doesn't support external transfers, and there's no ability to make a principal payment only on it to an auto loan... got a nasty gram for pre-paying my auto loan by more than 3 months.  If you are trying to do silly FICO tricks by pre-paying most of an auto loan and then letting it idle (or with $1 payments to keep it active while extending the tradeline) don't go with DCU at all; however, for a good rate, I do recommend them heh.

I think I will try them for auto-refi when I come out of the garden. My car loan will be 10 months by then and revolving credit over 6mos.  

Message 29 of 38
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

@Jutz wrote:

So they must have pre-approved you based on your membership?  Talking to them, they said they will pull again for an auto loan, because they use EQ Auto Enhanced.  If the dealer isn't able to match (A strong possibility if i can get to 675 auto for 1.99%) I may open the auto loan with them, then short of 90 days later pull for checking and CC.

Either way, to keep it mildly on topic, I was very impressed and I'm not even a member yet.  I do think DCU offers as close as you can get to NFCU (that I've found) that's open to the public.

I too think that DCU is a very very good option as far as CU's are concern.Excellent service based on the opinions from other forum members, large generous credit limits and the company makes a huge effort to adapt their services to their client's needs. I do believe that NFCU is not as credit score focused and that is because they make every attempt to service the military community and therefor over look the small issue of credit worthiness. But our military families deserve every consideration this nation can give. DCU does offer excellent limits to people with less than average credit. A 675 score(which is better than average) in exchange for a 1.99% interest rate is amazingly good. The only way NFCU could top that is to offer an interest free loan.I agree with you that DCU must be a very very close second to NFCU. In time DCU will improve their website interface which will only make banking with them even nicer.

Goal 750 Across

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.